Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    singergirl1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2012, 10:22 PM
    I wanted to know if anyone could help me get discovered
    Hi! As I said: I'm Chantae. I'm still a kid, and I have an amazing voice! My mom won't let me have a YouTube account so I can't post videos on there. Other than that, I have no other idea on how to get there. And the sooner I do, the younger I am, which is better. Thanks so much guys!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 04:36 AM
    So you are taking music and voice lessons I will assume, if not those will be needed.

So you, with your parents :

1. start scheduling performing at open mic's in the area ** many you can not sign other peoples songs ( called covers) you will have to have your own music that you wrote or others wrote for you

2. perform free at nursing homes and other locations

3. Have mom and dad set up a YouTube account and they post your singing on it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 21, 2012, 04:44 AM
    Who told you that you have an "amazing voice"? What do you want to do with your life? What do you think "being discovered" will do for you?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 21, 2012, 04:49 AM
    You do need people to tell you how you sound, so practice in front of as many as you can, and ask them to critique with no sugar coating. In fact, you want the most critical things they can possibly find, as though they are all Simon Cowell. That is what will happen in real adult life.
    The way to get a parent to let you do something is to be a good student and to help around the house. After about 3 months of being the best little goody goody you can be, ask again, and tell them how responsible you have been. Find 3 or 4 Youtube videos of kids your age to show them. Parents do have a right to be concerned about their children on the net because of stalkers and people who want to do harm for sick reasons.
    Join school plays and productions that involve singing. Join a choir or chorus.

Aug 21, 2012, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Who told you that you have an "amazing voice"? What do you want to do with your life? What do you think "being discovered" will do for you?

To answer your question, like everyone I know. And I don't want to be discovered for fame and money, I want to do it because I love it. Singing helps you express what you're feeling. I've known I was meant for this since I was 2.

Aug 21, 2012, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    You do need people to tell you how you sound, so practice in front of as many as you can, and ask them to critique with no sugar coating. In fact, you want the most critical things they can possibly find, as though they are all Simon Cowell. That is what will happen in real adult life.
    The way to get a parent to let you do something is to be a good student and to help around the house. After about 3 months of being the best little goody goody you can be, ask again, and tell them how responsible you have been. Find 3 or 4 Youtube videos of kids your age to show them. Parents do have a right to be concerned about their children on the net because of stalkers and people who want to do harm for sick reasons.
    Join school plays and productions that involve singing. Join a choir or chorus.

I've done that... I have one question for you though... do you think people will listen if I go busking? I mean, like with no instruments. Just me singing acapella?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 21, 2012, 08:35 AM
    Yes, people love a capella (spelled several ways) on the street, especially if you can find a spot with good acoustics around you, like a building with an arch, or the subway.
    But this is still a parental matter first, because as a minor your parent is liable for your safety, and street performing can be risky for a young girl.
    What do you like to sing?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 08:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by singergirl1 View Post
    I've done that...I have one question for you though...do you think people will listen if I go busking? I mean, like with no instruments. Just me singing acapella?
    Where would you do this, the busking?

I'm guessing you will need a prop of some kind and be able to accompany yourself, a drum or a guitar. Seeing a singer, especially a young girl, just standing on a corner belting out songs, makes people uncomfortable.

***ADDED*** Joy and I finally disagree lol.

Aug 21, 2012, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Yes, people love a capella (spelled several ways) on the street, especially if you can find a spot with good acoustics around you, like a building with an arch, or the subway.
    But this is still a parental matter first, because as a minor your parent is liable for your safety, and street performing can be risky for a young girl.
    What do you like to sing?

Anything... I love jennette mccurdy, Taylor Swift, Adele, Justin Bieber's old songs he's my inspiration. But Wondergirl just said it would make people uncomfortable... which one is it?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 08:50 AM
    Anything.....I love jennette mccurdy, Taylor Swift, Adele, Justin Bieber's old songs he's my inspiration. But Wondergirl just said it would make people uncomfortable...which one is it?
    How would you busk? With parents' permission (and they won't even allow you to make YT videos)?

A grown woman (like Crystal Bowersox, an American Idol finalist) busking is a whole 'nother situation from a young girl busking. You'd have printed surveys available? A donation can? If people donate, are they doing that just because you are sooooooooooo cute or because of your singing?

Aug 21, 2012, 09:27 AM
    To answer your question, like everyone I know. And I don't wanna be discovered for fame and money, I wanna do it because I love it. Singing helps you express what you're feeling. I've known i was meant for this since I was 2.
    Ok, so everyone you know thinks your voice is amazing. Does that include people like your school music teacher? Does that include anyone who makes a living at singing or music? I'm not saying you don't have an amazing voice, but to be sure you need a professional evaluation, not people who are close to you.

So you love singing, so sing! Not being discovered doesn't mean you can't sing. There are loads of people with amazing voices that never do anything beyond singing in the church choir. I was on a cruise early this year and two women performed in karaoke contests. Both woman were amazing yet neither sang for a living, but both sang every chance they got.

Aug 21, 2012, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Ok, so everyone you know thinks your voice is amazing. Does that include people like your school music teacher? Does that include anyone who makes a living at singing or music? I'm not saying you don't have an amazing voice, but to be sure you need a professional evaluation, not people who are close to you.

So you love singing, so sing! Not being discovered doesn't mean you can't sing. There are loads of people with amazing voices that never do anything beyond singing in the church choir. I was on a cruise early this year and two women performed in karaoke contests. Both woman were amazing yet neither sang for a living, but both sang every chance they got.
    Sorry I'm homeschooled, and I'm looking for positive answers.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 03:43 PM
    What do you consider a "positive answer"? Introduction to an agent? An all-expanses-paid flight with hotel included to Los Angeles to meet musicians and music artists? A sure spot on The X Factor or American Idol?

Aug 21, 2012, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    What do you consider a "positive answer"? Introduction to an agent? An all-expanses-paid flight with hotel included to Los Angeles to meet musicians and music artists? A sure spot on The X Factor or American Idol?
    Now that's just sarcasm, and um exuse me, I'm too young for American Idol and X-Factor! And what I consider a "positive answer" is something that's not "oh your probably not gonna become famous." I worked really really hard for this confidence, and I'm not going to lose it all because of some stupid comment.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 04:32 PM
    Now that's just sarcasm, and um exuse me, I'm too young for American Idol and X-Factor! And what I consider a "positive answer" is something that's not "oh your probably not gonna become famous." I worked really really hard for this confidence, and I'm not going to lose it all because of some stupid comment.
    I have no idea how old you are. AI has lowered their age limit to 15, so for all I know, you are eligible. The X-Factor lower age limit is 12. So I wasn't sarcastic at all.

If you are homeschooled, aren't allowed to have a YT account and post videos, don't sing in school productions, I have no idea what you want us to tell you so you can promote yourself. It seems like everything sits on your parents and what they allow. But they would allow busking?

Aug 21, 2012, 04:55 PM
    Sorry I'm homeschooled, and I'm looking for positive answers.
    What do you expect? Some magic formula to turn you into Katy Perry overnight? Do you have any clue how much hard work there is involved in achieving fame?

Your parents homeschool you and you think they will allow you to go busking? And who is suggesting you lose your confidence? But frankly, one does not "work hard" for confidence. They gain confidence because their abilities have been proven. For example; I'm confident in the quality of the advice I give here. Why, because that advice has been proven by the acceptance of others.

My suggesting that you will probably not become famous has nothing to do with your talents or confidence, but with luck.

Aug 21, 2012, 05:13 PM
    Yeah saying that I won't become famous DOES make my confidence go away. You apparently don't know the definition of confidence!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 05:15 PM
    Yeah saying that I won't become famous DOES make my confidence go away. You apparently don't know the definition of confidence!
    No one said you won't become famous someday. Scott said (and I agree) it's largely a matter of luck.

Aug 21, 2012, 05:15 PM
    No, it is you who don't know the definition. I didn't say you won't become famous, I said the odds are against you. If that shakes your confidence in your abilities then you didn't have much confidence to begin with.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 05:19 PM
    You might be age 42 and, after years of voice lessons and performances in local productions, finally get noticed by an agent who is looking for your type and your style. That's luck. Meanwhile, you have put in the hard work to be successful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Now it's all cuddles, has BO discovered OZ? [ 13 Answers ]

What I say is keep your hands to yourself, BOYO YOU CAN LEAD MY FREE WORLD ANY TIME: The G20 pics that reveal a very special relationship I know leaders can be chummy but this is a little too chummy. You snubbed our previous leader but you want to cuddle this one? It seems the little red fox...

HJow Can I Get Discovered? [ 6 Answers ]

My name is Taylor and I live in a smalll town, Horseheads,I LOVE to sing and I am told by people I don't even know that I am a good singer, well, must not be that good, I got cut from my play but whatever! I'm 11 and I'm DESPERATE! I want people to know me.:D Please help me Find a way to get...

Who discovered corpuscles [ 2 Answers ]

In physics

How do I get discovered? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. I think that I am a great singer, and people will out of the blue tell me that I'm great. I mean before, I was surprised, but then I started going to solo contest for my school and got firsts every time. How do I get discovered?? Does anyone know? If so please, please, please tell me.

View more questions Search