Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jillnaples06 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 07:55 AM
    Dying orchid?
    I had a beautiful orchid that lost it's bloom and eventually lost all it's leaves. I heard not to over water them so I may have let it go too dry. The stalk is starting to turn light brown. My brother claims his did the same and it will come back. Is it a gonner? And yes, I have been using fertilizer in the water.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Aug 26, 2009, 09:17 AM
    Hi! jillnaples06
    Quote Originally Posted by jillnaples06 View Post
    I had a beautiful orchid that lost it's bloom and eventually lost all it's leaves.
    It is probably going into a dormant stage, where this activity is normal.
    I heard not to over water them so I may have let it go too dry. The stalk is starting to turn light brown.
    Once every week to ten days is sufficient. They also like a lite misting now and then. Is the browning starting where the bloom was? This is normal.
    My brother claims his did the same and it will come back. Is it a gonner??
    No, not yet. Keep it away from A/C vents (they like temps in the 75 to 85° range) Full to partial Sun. Follow your brother's lead.
    And yes, I have been using fertilizer in the water.
    You may have giving it too much fert, back off to every 2nd or 3rd watering.

Was the fertilizer for orchids or just a generic?
    Generic is okay as long as it's balanced (14-14-14).

As you notice the bloom shoot starting, you could go to 10-20-10, but once you see the bud starting, stop all fert until the plant stops blooming.

This site will give you good info on your orchid Orchid Care Tips

K
    jillnaples06 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 05:54 AM

I will try it... Thanks!
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Aug 27, 2009, 06:40 AM
    Your welcome... Let us know how your doing with it, in a couple of weeks or so...

K

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re dying [ 2 Answers ]

I am watching my mother-in-law die from emphyazema, copd, broncitis, on thanksgiving day for 5 1/2 hours she was out of it, all most comatose she states that she was visiting the man up-stairs. Her oxygen tank is on 4 1/2 now and she refuses to sleep in the hospital bed, she still wants to smoke....

Actress in movie "wild orchid" [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone identify the actress from the movie "Wild Orchid" who was in the car having sex with a man while the Mickey O'Rourke and Carre Otis characters watched? Thanks.

I'm dying [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know what to do I feel like everything is changing in my life for the worst I hate who I've And I don't know its all kind of hard to explain how exactly I feel in my head I guess you could say I'm lonely I have a boyfriend an amazing one but sometimes I feel as though he does not...

I think I'm dying [ 2 Answers ]

I've been having weird nightmares about my recent grandmother and I feel I am going to get an icredibley life threatening disease and I'm going to die very shortly... I'm really scared :( please help me! If I do die what will be instore for me on the other side... is there really a tunnel to...

Car keeps dying [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 95 civic ex I just filled my car up yesterday and now it keeps dying while I'm driving down the road I thought it might be water in the gas so I put some heet in the gas tank but it still does it I don't know what wrong with it help me please

View more questions Search