Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    civic_95 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Car keeps dying
    I have a 95 civic ex I just filled my car up yesterday and now it keeps dying while I'm driving down the road I thought it might be water in the gas so I put some heet in the gas tank but it still does it I don't know what wrong with it help me please
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Go over the ignition system, paying particular attention to the condition of the spark plugs (NGK only), spark plug wires, rotor, distributor cap, Ignition Control Module (ICM), and coil. Ignition Control Modules and, to some extent, coils are problematic on Hondas. Heat tends to affect them with age. I recommend that they be replaced every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. Here's how to replace the ICM and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

AutoZone will test ICMs and coils for free. Here's what the ICM looks like and costs:

Zip Code Entry at PartsAmerica.com

If this doesn't solve the problem, go through the steps outlined in sections A and B below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219438

Make sure your fuel filter has been changed in the last 60,000 miles or 4 years.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 11, 2007, 06:33 PM
    You could have some very bad gas. I filled up once on the Mass turnpike and couldn't get out of the station! But you could have a coil breaking down. Will the car idle at all?
    civic_95 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2007, 06:44 PM
    My car has ran fine to this point it will idle just fine I have after market coil and this. Cap new plugs and wires
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Some cars will idle okay with a marginal fuel filter but will quit at highway speeds, when it prevents the engine from getting all the fuel it needs. This has happened several times on my father's Toyota pickup truck.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 11, 2007, 07:04 PM
    It is possible the aftermarket coil could still be faulty, even though new. If the car will idle but won't respond under light throttle, the coil doesn't have enough to fire through the fuel mixture. This is a common problem. There are test that can be done, if you can get your car to a facility that has that test equipment.

Even still, fuel additives take some time to make any difference. The additives have to move through the entire system until they arrive at the injectors before you'll notice any change. And with your car being sooo good, economically, that'll take a while... sorry...

If you can get a fuell sample, in a clear bottle, let it set for a while and see if any separation occures. The water will settle to the bottom (some will be normal, but not much)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Another Car or Use Existing Car 'til It Runs No More [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me resolve a debate with my husband. I am a first time car owner. I bought a new Jeep in 8/04 for $23,600. I put $5K down on the purchase + my loan is for 60 months. I would like to trade in the liberty before it gets too old + has too many miles on it. Does it make better sense to...

Car battery or car generator [ 4 Answers ]

How do you tell if you need a new generator or battery? t-you

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

New parts car keeps dying [ 3 Answers ]

Hi it's me again,I replaced the relay with a new one ,started the car and as soon as it warmed up it died.so my guess it wasn't that ,I also replaced the distributor 3 times new coil,reset the ecu and it still said code 15(ignition out put signal.what else could it be,I am going crazy spending...

Car accident while friend is in the car [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about what the case would be if I got into a car accident, mine or another drivers fault, with a friend in the car that is mine but in my Mother's name. I have been reading a little bit into insurance, I think I understand how it would work and come into play a little bit. What...

View more questions Search