Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjwolf Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2013, 12:46 PM
    Generac generator, 10hp Briggs and Stratton engine. No resistance when pulling cord
    Engine stopped after running out of gas. Refueled... attempted to start engine using the pull cord... there was no resistance at all... cord is intact... possible failure points are? Any options other than the shear pin? Any idea on cost of repairs...
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2013, 04:19 PM
    Hi sj and welcome, if the cord rewinds when pulled I would check the pawls. This video shows the part. Good luck

HOW TO REPAIR Riveted Pull Start on Briggs & Stratton Snowblower Engine PART 2/2 - YouTube

Aug 25, 2013, 04:22 PM
    Update: Just drove home 500+ miles... tried the generator before putting away. It worked perfectly... I'm even more confused... it's a Generac SVP5000 model 09719-2
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2013, 05:19 PM
    Sounds like the start pawls were stuck and then released.

Aug 25, 2013, 08:56 PM
    Thanks... annoying issue... probably helped along by infrequent use... annoying that they rivet the cover... not tool I usually travel with...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Generac Engine Specs model052331 ser# 7078535 15 hp. On a generac exl8000 generator [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know the valve settings so I can put this engine back in use

10HP Briggs and Stratton Generator Engine [ 24 Answers ]

Hi Guys, Recently, I was using my Generac 5550 generator with a 10HP Briggs & Stratton OHV, model 204412, Type 0142 engine, and it started running rough and puffing black smoke. So I bought the repair manual. Took everything apart to the piston, cleaned the carbon off the pistons and...

I can't pull the starter cord on my 10hp Briggs and Stratton Engine [ 6 Answers ]

I recently purchased a two year old 10 hp Troy Built wood chipper. I've used it for about 4-5 hours and recently had to add a little oil. I added the correct type as per the manufacturers instructions. It started up just fine and after 15 minutes or so I shut it off to empty the bag. Once the...

Engine briggs&stratton 10hp [ 1 Answers ]

I require to buy 1 engine-brigg & stratton for use in a power plus generator. New or used. Thank you

Starting Briggs & Stratton 10HP engine that has not run for 2-yrs [ 5 Answers ]

Cleaned plug, put a little gas in chamber, put new gasoline in tank and still won't start after many tries. Has the old gasoline caused the problem and do I need to clean carb? Bronco Bob

View more questions Search