Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    READY65 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 09:34 PM
    Carrier lp gas pack 48gp repeat rollout switch lockouts
    Unit is around 4 years old and has been a repeat offender with rollout sw trips, soot build-up and sometimes foul smelling exhuast since the second year. Unit belongs to friend who is fed up with the dealer installer due to no resolve. I have disassembled burner,cleaned out soot (alot) from chamber,physically inspected chamber no apperant cracks, checked for correct orfice size,replaced rollout switch with correct replacement (it had cycled so many times it was shot). Reassembled and measured gas pressure 11"wc on outlet of gas valve to burner. Unit flame looks great.my thought now is that this 11" wc is what I should have at the inlet of the vavle and should be actually less on outlet if valve is working correctly? I'm confused can somebody help me or is this unit a lemon?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 28, 2009, 01:42 AM
    There should be NO soot formation with a correctly setup and adjusted burner.

Install manual

NOTE !!!

Your LP gas pressure seems to be to high. This might be the reason for the soot. Setting at manifold 3.5 for LP. Read this manual. Page 14 table 6

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...t/48gp-1si.pdf

Oct 28, 2009, 07:10 PM
    Thank you I appreciate your guidance and for the copy of the manual! I will set up manometer again on the valve outlet and see if it will adjust down to 3.5.Will let you know results.

Oct 28, 2009, 09:03 PM
    Just follow the manual and it should work.

Nov 1, 2009, 06:49 PM
    Did get to unit this week, re-measured valve oulet (manifold) pressure it was still 11" as before,attempted to adjust pressure down wouldn't change at all. The valve is a white rodgers gemini 36g22 type 512 Just looking at the info I have, appears this valve maybe a natural gas only valve ? Maybe getting closer to root cause?
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2009, 06:57 PM

I have not seen any lp units run at 3.5

Nov 1, 2009, 07:17 PM
    Joshdta. See page 14 table 6 of the manual above.

Manifold pressure of 3.5 WC on Propane

The manifold pressure is way to high that is why she is sooting up.

This model of Carrier needs a big drop at the manifold if not able to adjust at pressure reg on gas valve might have to change orifices. Turn counter clockwise to lower pressure at manifold. READY 65 you will need a manometer for this job.

This has been a problem in the field since most service people automatically set LP to 11 inches without reading the manual or name plate.

Also see trouble shoot on page 29 table 11 at bottom.
    Poor flame. characteristics

Incomplete combustion results in: Aldehyde
    odors, carbon monoxide, sooting flame, floating
    Flame

Cure

1. Tighten all screws around burner compartments.
    2. Cracked heat exchanger. Replace
    3. Unit overfired. Reduce input (change orifices
    or adjust gas line or manifold pressure).
    4. Check burner alignment

Nov 1, 2009, 07:19 PM

Yes it is on lp, but thanks to the kind fellow above I received the install manual and this unit does call for a 3.5"wc on valve outlet even on propane. Orfices are clean and vent fan is working correctly
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2009, 07:37 PM

No wonder it gumed up then. If it has been running like that for 4 yrs, the heat exchanger must about be on its last leg then.
    mrcooler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2011, 09:14 AM
    I have one doing the same thing- but it is set properly @ 3.5 wc- for lp gas- carrier sent me a high altitude kit that they say will fix it,basically smaller orfice- cleaned this nasty soot mess up again yesterday and replaced the orfices- time will tell
    Anyone else have any sugestions on this- cleaning this exchanger out is a huge mess and hard to know if you have it all out-I use an air compressor and water hose to clean the tubes out
    Heat12014 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2014, 02:02 PM
    I have a 48GP carrier Unit. I installed a new purge fan and motor, have a brown wire coming off a big blue thing with the other end belong on a pin. Where is the pin for this wire. Yellow wire comes off J1 and also so has a pin ended, where does it go.
    Thanks for you assistance'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Comfortmaker open rollout switch error [ 1 Answers ]

I have a comformaker furnace and the heat will run for roughly 5 minutes and then shuts off with blower still running. I noticed the duct going up from the main unit is extremely hot (not sure if this is normal), but the light unit blinks 5 times which says "open rollout swith error"? What does...

No heat, blower doesn't stop, can't see rollout switch, Payne 399AAV [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Payne 399AV that is about 15yr old. Just started to blow non-stop with no heat. Pressed the reset on the auxiliary limit switch, no change. Looking for flame rollout switch shown in Manual can't find. Had a friend look he couldn't find it either. Am I missing it? Filter hadn't been...

Rollout limit switch? [ 2 Answers ]

I (trying to save myself money) tried to fix my furnace(carrier 9000) model. During the process I broke the rollout limit switch(mistaking it for the ignitor). I called local repair man he came out cleaned the ignitor/checked all the faults and so forth... but he didn't have any of the limit...

Bryant rollout switch [ 2 Answers ]

I've looked for the rollout switch and can't seem to find it or knows what it looks like I've read some of the ?'s and having the same problem it is blinking 3/3 so I changed the filter etc etc BUT WHERE IS THE ROLLOUT SWITHCH am I just blind any help

Brayant 80t furnace, 'Limit or flame rollout switch is open"? [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I am new here and am having a furnace problem. As a new homeowner I would like to take a look at this myself before just grabbing the phone books. I have a Bryant 80t furnace. Built in 2000 and has been serviced every other year. Unit is clean and in good shape. Woke up to a cold house and...

View more questions Search