Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimmyb1950 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2014, 04:03 AM
    I was testing the electrical outlets in my home and some were registering at 153 volt
    The electrical outlets in my home are registering at 153 volts on the meter what may be causing this problem
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 16, 2014, 05:47 AM
    The standard voltage in the U.S.A. are now 120 and 240 Vac (+/-) 10%.

While 140 is a tad high, it is not that high. I suggest you check with your power company and have them verify the voltages being supplied on you Line 1 and Line 2 of your meter.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2014, 06:58 AM
    What kind of meter did you use? Has anything failed due to this higher voltage..?
    If things have failed, and it's likely to be your electronics that fail first, call an electrician to double check your measurement and investigate. This could be a symptom of a loose neutral connection at the service point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have replaced all electrical outlets and light switches in my home. All are working [ 6 Answers ]

I have replaced all electrical outlets and light switches in my home. All are working except 4 light switches. 3 are together: a single pole that controls foyer light, a single pole that controls porch light, and a 3-way that controls outside lights. The corresponding 3-way for the outside...

Can you run a 208 volt heating panel on 240 volt electrical supply [ 1 Answers ]

I have a baseboard electric heater that is 208 volts. My power supply is 240 volts. What will happen if I try to run m y 240 volt electrical supply to my 208 volt electric baseboard heater?

How to wire two 110 volt outlets from a generator to a 22 volt input [ 2 Answers ]

Have a generator with two 110 volt output's and would like to back feed a panel to the house that is already installed for this application. It has a 220 input to the house panel, can this be done .

How do I go about registering my home-based small business? [ 4 Answers ]

Please tell me in full detail how I go about registering a home based small business. ( the business I'm trying to open is a home based child care. Also please tell me, in detail, are there any things that may be of concern to my neighbours? And. Again in detail, if I employ 2 other people,...

Electrical Outlets in Home [ 2 Answers ]

:( Help... All the electrical outlets on the left side of my home stopped working after using the vacuum in one of those outlets. Everything on that side stopped while vacuuming. I checked the breaker box and all looks fine, Which should be my next steps. My home is a little over a year old. I...

View more questions Search