Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ceasefire Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 05:11 PM
    Friend and I have the same crush!
    My best friend and I, both seniors in HS, like the same girl, a sophomore. I have liked her since last year when she first came to our school, but never said anything. Recently my friend mentioned that he likes her, I told him I did as well, and he is cool with it. I can't stand the fact that he likes her, because I know she is interested in the same things as me, not so much him. Neither of us have said anything to her about us liking her. My friend and I are the shy type and don't talk to girls much, so it's even more difficult when I have to compete with him to make the first move. We aren't the type to lose our friendship over her, he has shown that he'll back off if her and I have something. But I know that I'll feel bitter and resentful if he wins her over first. What do you suggest I should do? I have no classes with her and I see her only in the halls or at lunch, sometimes after school. I know her email address, but I think she would be too freaked out if I randomly email her. What should I do? I have to do something fast.

By the way. She is really shy and quiet as well.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Are you friends with this girl?

What you have to recognize is that neither of you have any "right" to her as neither of you ever asked her out or dated her. All is fair in love and war. My recommendation would be to befriend this girl and simply ask her to do something that you know she would enjoy. You said that the two of you share many common interests so I imagine it wouldn't be hard to find something to get her to go to with you.
    Ceasefire Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 06:16 PM
    I'm not friends with her.

One of my other friends liked her for a while and tried to add her to friends / message her on Facebook (similar to MySpace) and she told him a flat out no, she was not interested at all. So I'm afraid she will do something similar to me. I guess I should just give it a shot, but it seems VERY awkward to go up to her in person, being 2 grades above her, and having no classes with her, rarely seeing each other in the halls. Should I pass her a note? Or give a note to her friends to give to her? I don't want to seem like I'm coming on too strong like my other friend may have done.
    Flexel Posts: 61, Reputation: 7

Aug 22, 2007, 04:17 AM
    First thing first is, general just go up and speak to her!! As a friend... do this a few times and get to know her :P:P then you can maybe ask for her number / ask her to go do something with you. Not use as in you and you friend her . Just both of use like go to the cinema or something :P... and you mentioned she was 2 grades below you?? Doesn't that make it easier for you since your the mature one even though your shy... my girlfriend is 16 turning 17 and I'm 19... and we just clicked... but I made sure that her mother/father was OK with my age before I went on with anything and I don't mean sexual activity's,

I guess what I'm trying to say is go with your heart not with your head otherwise you will be shy all your life :P:P:P and is she says no then just act like it didn't bother you... when it should't there a person out there for us all mate :P
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceasefire
    I'm not friends with her.

One of my other friends liked her for a while and tried to add her to friends / message her on Facebook (similar to MySpace) and she told him a flat out no, she was not interested at all. So I'm afraid she will do something similar to me. I guess I should just give it a shot, but it seems VERY awkward to go up to her in person, being 2 grades above her, and having no classes with her, rarely seeing each other in the halls. Should I pass her a note? or give a note to her friends to give to her? I don't want to seem like I'm coming on too strong like my other friend may have done.

I know when I was sophomore in HS if a Senior came up to me I would die. It would be too cool for words. If anything I would just say hi to her in the halls and engage her in brief conversation like asking her how her day is going how her classes are. You said you know that the two of you have a lot in common so if its music you could ask if she heard about a concert or a new cd coming out from a band you both like. Basic stuff like that. You won't never if you never try.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 22, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Don't pass notes

Start by walking by her in the hall, give a quick glance into her eyes and say "hi"... keep walking.

Build up slowly from there, maybe promise yourself to say "hi" every day then on Friday find her at her locker and ask her how her day is going... (something like that)... then, "do you want to go____" (fill in the blank)
    OR you could start a conversation like, "Hey, do you have Mr. ? for Algebra? He was such a pain, so let me know if you need help." (you get the idea ;))

Yes, she may turn you down, but there are 3 positives to that!
    1. You'll never know until you find out... which will drive you crazy ;)
    2. She could at least become a friend.
    3. You've got to start somewhere so this could help you "master your moves"

Good luck! It sounds difficult now, but later you'll realize it's worth the effort to try. :)
    CupcakeLover99 Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Oct 15, 2010, 04:57 AM
    Hi. I'm a girl, so I think some of my advice might come in handy. If she's a shy girl chances are that she just has trouble making conversations with people. You should go up to her and start talking, but try to ease in, not jump in or it'll scare her. Don't try to get to friendly too fast or she'll get suspicious. Try to act like a helping hand, then maybe friends, then maybe even something better. Be patient. Get straight to the point when speaking to her, don't make small talk too much because us girls get quite annoyed at it.
    Hope this advice helps you!
    Best wishes,
    CupcakeLover99 :)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 02:20 PM

Look, the bottom line is you either talk to her or you don't. It's that simple.
    Don't pass notes as by the time you think of the :perfect" thing to say in it she will have graduated already.

If you don't talk to her someone else will and then she is lost to them. If all you want to do in life is watch then keep at the pace your at. But if you want to participate it takes effort. Try words and sentences first and the rest will come to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you get over a crush? [ 9 Answers ]

Well last school year I started getting a crush on this guy. We talked a tid bit but I always got so nervous I backed out of conversations with him with really simple responses. I thought that having a summer vacation would give me more than enough time to get over him. But now that the new school...

Crush on best friend, and he's leaving [ 4 Answers ]

This is a rather complicated relationship I have. I'm a male, 19 yrs old, and I recently started having strong sexual attractions for my best friend (who's also a guy). This in particular has put me under a lot of pressure and stress, as I'm still trying to cope with my emotions. I've almost been...

I have a crush on someone [ 7 Answers ]

I have a crush on someone, and need to Know if he feels the same? Thanks,

Huge Crush on my Husbands Friend [ 40 Answers ]

Oh my god. First of all, I wasn't sure if this is the right category to post my dilema, but I'm soooo glad I found this website. Anyway I have a major crush on my husbands friend. I can't stop thinking of him. I go to the store hoping to run into him. I know I told myself a million times...

I have a huge crush on my husband's best friend! [ 20 Answers ]

I am so confused & upset lately! I have a crush on my husband's best friend & his friend told me he liked me too because somehow we talked about it. My husband has no clue about any of this. His friend and I have been text messaging each other for the past week & discussing it. We both know that...

View more questions Search