Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cuttienyc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2009, 09:35 PM
    Overstayed B2 visa by 2 years, what are my options to get a legal status again?
    I came to the US on a B2 tourist visa, valid till 2016, 3 years ago in march 2006. I stayed the allowed 180 days, extended my stay for another 180 days of legal stay and then just stayed here illegally since March 2007.

I have a ssn and bank accounts, credit cards, insurance, I work and pay taxes, I just don't have a valid visa. (I was able to get a ssn when I was an exchange student 6 years ago.)

I really want to travel and am also thinking about founding my own company so it would be really important for me to become a legal resident of the US.

I freelance in fashion but I also work for another freelance stylist who would be willing to sponsor me as my employer if that was an option.

I also considered getting married but I am somewhat hesitant since it seems to me that there are a lot of "unknowns" when it comes to that.

I was born and raised in Germany and have no criminal record of any kind (not sure how much that would affect the outcome of this.)

Thank you.
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

May 22, 2009, 06:53 AM

You cannot get any nonimmigrant visa or change status to any NIV. Your only options without triggering the 3 and 10 year bars under section 212(a)(9) require you to apply for and be granted permanent residence in the US.

It is unlikely that you can get any employment-based PR, as you are probably not grandfathered for AOS under section 245(I), so your only viable optiojn is marriage to a USC. The AOS is approvable under 245(a) which will forgive the visa I-94 overstay and the unauthorized employment.

If you file as a spouse of a USC, only file if you intend to be married to have a true shared life together and not only for an immigration benefit. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal status (student visa) becoming legal resident? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a legal resident green card holder and have been so for 28 years. I met someone and fell in love and got married. The problem is she is here on a student visa. I would like to know if it is possible for her to obtain legal obtain status. There are a few circumstances that I feel that may...

Legal status in US for H1B visa holder [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am on H1B visa here in US. I changed my employer in Dec 2008 but till now I have not got any project and so I do not have any pay stubs with me. My wife is on F1 visa. Now my employer is asking me to go back to India and he is planning to cancel my H1. If I get a project here in US...

Overstayed visa for 3 years But departed the you.S while under 18 [ 2 Answers ]

I was just curious to ask this because a friend of mine from eastern Europe came to the United States when he was 14 yrs old on a tourist visa with his family. However, he overstayed his visa and stayed in the U.S illegally for almost 3 years. He left the United States voluntarily without being in...

Grandmother needs legal options regarding grandchild [ 13 Answers ]

I live in TN. I have a 3 yr. old grandson whom I've taken care of since he was 4 weeks old. His parent(s) lived with me also until the mother died a year and a half ago from a drug overdose, upstairs in the bathtub with the child in the tub with her and was not found for 3 hrs. My son is the...

View more questions Search