Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pranavtailor Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 10:03 PM
    I was on L1 visa want to file joint return. I want to apply for ITIN for spouse
    I was in US(california) from march 2006 - jan 2007 on L1. My wife and kid were on L2. They don't have SSN (I think now its possible to get ssn on L2 ). Now I am back in India and want to file my return with both of them as my dependent. So I think I will have to file W7 for both of them to get ITIN.
    1) In form W7 which option (a-h) should I tick in "Reason you are submitting form W7" for each of them?
    2) I need to file ITIN for my spouse and kid along with the federal tax return... is it true?
    3) Do I need to wait for my spouse and kids ITIN to come before filing CA tax return? Or I can do that online?
    Thanks,
    Pranav
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Pranav:

I believe I have already answered your question via email.

Yes, you need ITINs. You will be considered a resident alien if you file jointly with your wife (the recommended method).

You CANNOT file the California return on line. It must be mailed.
    pranavtailor Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 09:08 PM
    Thanks for the answer to my queries.
    As such I have to claim refund on both my federal and state tax returns.
    So I think even if I miss the 15th April '07 deadline to file my state return (due to ITIN of spouse and dependent not available), I won't have to pay any penalties am I right?
    1100 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Yes you have to mail it & you shld not file it online.You can send your W-7 application for ITIN alongwith your return.So that you can file it in time & they start processing on your return as soon as they are done with ITIN.
    I think I shld make it clear , it previous reply was quite clear though!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2007, 07:54 AM
    If you file either the federal or the state return late, there is NO penalty if you are due a refund.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No ITIN For Spouse [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Problems: 1) No ITIN For spouse. 2) Only 3 days remain to file taxes. 3) worked in 2 states(CA and NC) and I might owe about $10 in NC but will be receiving money in CA and Federal. 4) To claim standard deduction I need to wait until I get spouse's ITIN. One suggestion has been to...

L1, Spouse on L2 ITIN Filing - Visa or I797A? [ 5 Answers ]

I am on L1 and have SSN. My wife is on L2 and does not have SSN. This is the first time I am filing under Married status. I am preparing Form W7 to be filed with Form 1040-EZ. Instructions for Form W7 Box 6C says enter nonimmigrant visa information, number and expiry date. Since our original...

How to get ITIN for my spouse which we forgot [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We had applied for ITIN for my spouse while filing the returns for the year 2005. We did receive the ITIN. But I misplaced the documents somewhere. Is there any way to find what is my spouse's ITIN number so that I can use the same while filing the returns for the year 2006. Thanks and...

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

View more questions Search