Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eddie3128 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2006, 01:38 PM
    Honda accord 2.0i 1988
    When stationary engine surges between 1000rpm and 1800rpm can anybody advise me as to what's causing this problem does not surge when driven normaly.thanks.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Nov 3, 2006, 01:46 PM
    I have the same thing with my 93 Civic- but only when it's warming up. Once warm the surge stops. I get no engine warning light. I feel it is a sensor that is on the brink of malfuction but is not bad enough for the ECU to pick it up.

This has been going on for over a year now. It's kind of embarrassing but at least it's not getting worse. I'll be watching your post!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2006, 02:31 PM
    First, I would test/replace the ICM (igniter). Second, I would test/replace the Oxygen Sensor. Third, I would check out the Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Nov 3, 2006, 03:09 PM
    Sounds expensive. I'll think I'll put up with the problem instead of replacing things that may be working!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2006, 03:23 PM
    Most auto part stores can check igniters for free. Such fluctuations in rpm can be a tip off that the igniter is breaking down; soon it may completely fail, leaving you stranded.
    kwalker905 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2006, 09:20 AM
    Eddie,
    I have a 91 accord. Runs great, very dependable - but when it gets cold outside I have the same problem as you. I had it at a sshop once and they told me it was a vaccuum issue and they had fixed it. It did work for a few months but now it's acting up again. I am going to check my vacuum lines myself to see if there are any obvious leaks. I will keep looking for the solution. If I find something, I'll let you know

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1988 Honda Accord Starting Problem... Not Relay [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1988 Honda Accord LX and recently got a new exhaust system and changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap and air filter. When I was done I went to start it up and it won't run. It starts.. revs insainly high like up to 4000rpms and then dies. If you spray carb cleaner into the main bowl...

1986 Honda Accord LX/1996 Honda Accord LX [ 12 Answers ]

Would someone be able to tell me if the wheels on an 1986 Honda Accord are interchangeable with those of a 1996 Honda Accord. Thank you

1988 Honda Accord LXi turns over but not starting [ 37 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a 5-speed 1988 Honda Accord LXi with pretty high miles, but has been running great for the 8 or so months I've owned it. However, yesterday when I was driving to town it stalled at the stop sign. This stall was kind of out of the blue, because I did not let out the clutch too fast...

1988 Honda Accord Horn Relay [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know whether a 1988 Honda Accord DX 2dr Manual transmission has a horn relay and if so, where is it located. My horn buttons on the steering wheel are working properly and the fuse is good. Can't find the horn relay.:confused: Thanks.

1988 Honda Civic [ 1 Answers ]

How do you time the ignition on a Honda. I can't find the timing marks,

View more questions Search