Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kingkube Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2005, 10:43 PM
    1988 Honda Accord Starting Problem... Not Relay
    I have a 1988 Honda Accord LX and recently got a new exhaust system and changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap and air filter. When I was done I went to start it up and it won't run. It starts.. revs insainly high like up to 4000rpms and then dies. If you spray carb cleaner into the main bowl of the carb it will run as long as you keep spraying. Sounds like a problem with the Carb right? So I rebuilt the carb and it has exactly the same problem... This has stumped 2 mechanics and myself. HELP!! Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

May 24, 2005, 03:44 AM
    I have no idea... but this just crossed my mind - are you sure you attached the spark plug wires correctly on the distributor cap? Didn't mix them up?
    kingkube Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2005, 07:05 AM
    1988 Honda
    Yeah I re-checked that like a million times
    xiclalis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2012, 04:24 PM
    Hi I have a Honda accord xli 1988 and having ploblems to start it I put a new relayed and it starts and I run it for a whild then I turn it off and want to turn it back on anf it just starts clicking.but won't turn on need your help
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2012, 04:58 PM
    xiclalis, if the main relay is clicking, when you turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II), I suspect the ECM (computer) is failing. Does the Check Engine Light stay on, when the ignition switch is turned to ON? If it does, replace the ECM.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1988 Honda Accord LXi turns over but not starting [ 37 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a 5-speed 1988 Honda Accord LXi with pretty high miles, but has been running great for the 8 or so months I've owned it. However, yesterday when I was driving to town it stalled at the stop sign. This stall was kind of out of the blue, because I did not let out the clutch too fast...

Problem starting a honda 91 accord [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 91 honda accord that when you try to start it there is a tick tick tick noise. I had the starter checked and they said it was fine. I can sometimes start it in nuetral. It will also sometimes start in park. Any ideas on what it might be

Fuel Injection Relay Honda Prelude 1988 [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0 which has refused to start. The mechanics at the Honda shop say it's the Fuel Injection Relay, BUT they don't know it's location, OR ID number. I know that sounds strange but it's true. Can anyone help me please? Thank you. PS: This is a right hand drive car as I...

1988 Honda Accord Horn Relay [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know whether a 1988 Honda Accord DX 2dr Manual transmission has a horn relay and if so, where is it located. My horn buttons on the steering wheel are working properly and the fuse is good. Can't find the horn relay.:confused: Thanks.

View more questions Search