Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcmousee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2010, 01:28 PM
    trane 2 speed variable
    we installed a maytag 2 speed variable gas furnace 14 months ago and it hasn't yet gone more than 58 days without an emergency service call. The HVAC contractor finally agreed to pull it and I will pay the difference for either a Trane Model #XV80TUD100R9V3K or a Lennox (Elite Series) Model #G60UHV-36B-090. My repair guy says Trane, hands down for reliability. We would be paying an additional 1200. What is your feeling?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 02:03 PM
    My feelings are you bought a furnace that was supposed to work and paid the contractor good money to boot. Now the contractor says I sold you a piece of junk furnace but if you want a different one you have to pay me 1200.00 more. Something seems to be wrong with this picture.

You said (it hasn't yet gone more than 58 days without an emergency service call). Now that is a sad record especially since that furnace is made by Nordyne I believe. What is the exact model number of your Maytag unit?
    )

Feb 1, 2010, 02:11 PM
    PGC2TA100C24B is my maytag, the service guys are saying it's a lemon. So which will I be happier with reliability wise? The lennox or trane and what should it cost me as to the difference from the matag?

Feb 1, 2010, 02:16 PM
    I would go with the Trane but have no idea what the cost should be since prices are different all over the country.

Feb 1, 2010, 02:18 PM
    thank you, I will do variable speed this time too. And I almost don't care about the price, I just want something I don't have emergencies with every month. Yikes.

Feb 1, 2010, 02:25 PM
    Variable speed is not a problem when new and under warranty BUT if out of warranty it is very expensive to repair. The cost of the variable speed motor and end bell are outrageous. Just thought I would mention that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repair or Replace Trane XV80 Variable Speed 2 Stage Furnace? [ 28 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old Trane XV80 Variable Speed High Efficiency Two Stage furnace that has done a great job heating my home until it stopped working this weekend. The service man identified that the gas valve needs to be replaced and quoted $617 for the repair while suggesting that we really should...

Variable Speed vs. Single Speed Blower [ 1 Answers ]

Questions: Getting 2 new heat pump systems installed. 1.5 ton upstairs and 4 ton downstairs. Decided on Comfortmaker. Heat Load calc performed on sizes. Going 2 stage with variable speed downstairs with Honeywell IQ Pro stat. Was going to go one stage with variable speed upstairs with...

Trane air handle variable speed motor xl1200 [ 3 Answers ]

The fan hasitates to star It tries to move and the after a minute it will run. I try to set the dip swithches for no delay after running but no imprument, The problem with this is that the coil inside gets frozen since no air is circulating, I caom with a temporary solution a delay circuit on...

Trane XL16i, Variable Speed Air Handler, 803 thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

We purchased this unit about 8 weeks ago and it's been nothing but a headache. Trane's field rep came out Friday with the installer and they gave the unit a complete going over. Checked duct work, everything. Even replaced the thermostat. Was assured everything was mechanically correct. The...

Trane Variable speed w/hot water coil/Ac wiring ? [ 3 Answers ]

I've read many of the previous questions/answers, but haven't found what I need. Low voltage wiring is not my strong suit. My AHU has a hot water coil in it, that I plan to heat with a Voyager water heater. It has an A/C coil, and that works fine. Previous answers have said that I should find a...

View more questions Search