Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tigella Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Cat behaviour
    I have a cat that is does not like to be touched... she is mean and will bite.. I need to examine her skin as she is scratching to the point of losing fur.. she won't let me put anything on her or pick her up to see if there is anything I can do.. neither can I get her in a cat carrier to take her to the vet... I've had her since she was 5 weeks old so she doesn't have a history of abuse or anything.. she loves the dog!. any suggestions?.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 27, 2008, 09:24 PM
    Has she always been this way? If not, there may be some pain involved here making her not want to be touched. If she's always been this way, no idea. Bad things happening early in their lives can affect them, but this seems extreme for that. And she's had human contact at least since she was 5 weeks old.

As for the losing fur, that could be allergies. Or maybe just dry skin. How bad is it and how long has it been going on? Like just losing a tiny bit here or there, or losing bigger patches? If it's something like dry skin, giving her omega 3's can help. (Something like cod or salmon oil. They make kitty versions and you can go by the dose on it, but probably 1/4 tsp.) And I had a cat who was getting some scabs and losing just little bits of fur, and I put Vitamin E on those to help heal them, and also soften them up so the scabs themselves would stop itching. If it's allergies, you may have to do some food testing by eliminating all grains, seafood, beef. (There's a fairly long post on this I did under I believe "cat throwing up.") If steroids are recommended, try to do anything and everything else first, as those are bad news.

As for getting her to the vet, what I used to do with the she-witch I had was drop a towel horizontally over her, trying to aim to get the top edge just about at the edge of her on the head side. Then quickly grab in at the sides of the towel and wrap her. I'd have to be sure to catch all her paws in the towel. It was a knack I developed cause it was the only way to get her to the vet's safely.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad behaviour [ 1 Answers ]

Just lately my four year old son has started bitting punching spitting scratching other children at school now normally he is a very quite boy and shy we have spoke to the school they can't explain why he is doing this and the last week he started being like it at home and swearing calling me and...

What does his behaviour mean [ 1 Answers ]

I was with a guy a while back for nearly 6months. Then all of a sudden (one day we were together normally, then the next we weren't) he just totally stopped inviting me out and started treating me differently. He kept talking to me, but making cruel comments occasionally. Now he's started...

Bad Behaviour [ 2 Answers ]

hi everyone, I am concerned with the way my 5 (soon to be 6) yr old niece has been acting. I'm sorry in advance I can tell this is going to be long and I hope you'll bare with me because I really need help. Firstly, she has always loved being the center of attention (what child doesnt) and...

What does this behaviour mean? [ 11 Answers ]

I know I should just dump him technically speaking but when you love someone properly you seek out reasons for why he is acting a certain way etc. First off, I am pregnant - nearly 24 weeks gone and 26 yrs old, v miserable and alone, working my bum off in Ireland, to try and get money up for...

Cat behaviour [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one year old spayed female calico cat. The cat has one terry cloth toy that she has been carrying upstairs to my bedroom, or depositing at my bedroom door quite frequently. Curious to know what type of behaviour this is. She doesn't bring it back down, however if I do, I usually...

View more questions Search