Ask
    Eyecu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2005, 04:16 PM
    Problems saving/creating to Desktop
    Hi All.

I recently purchased a laptop:
    Acer Aspire 1692WLMi
    Windows XP Professional SP2
    I was using navigating to C:\Documents and Settings\Eyecu\Downloads (is where I store all my downloads for easy access) when my finger brush the touchpad(mousepad), dragging the Desktop folder into the Downloads folder. Microsofts Antispyware asked if I want to block the action. I clicked on block. Since then I can not save, create anything to my desktop. Also if I try and install a program that automatically try's and installs an icon to the desktop, it will not install the program I get the following error:

internal error: Failed to expand Shell Folder constant "userdesktop" .

I can not for the live of me figure out how to fix this. I even tried installing registry mechanic but that's when I got that ^^^^ error.

Any Help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Eyecu
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2005, 04:30 PM
    I'm no MS Antispyware, but in general it sounds as though you've allowed it to create a "rule" that blocks the action.

Open MS Antispyware and look through whatever they call blocked programs or actions and allowed programs or actions.

Somewhere I believe you'll find something referring to the desktop... something that you can "uncheck" or remove.

I hope this at least gives you something to look for for now... and if no help, hope a MS Antispyware guru comes along for you shortly! :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2005, 05:38 PM
    Found this on the MSAS newsgroup:
    If you block an application start up event in MSAS it
    Should appear (among other things)by navigating to the
    Tools/Realtime Protection/View All Blocked Events screen.
    From there you can unblock the events using the options
    Available on the page.

Or

Check under Realtime Protection > System or Internet
    Agents, check to see if its blocked under those two.
    UkPhilUk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2006, 10:08 AM
    I have exactly the same problem but cannot find any block on MSASW
    Any more ideas:confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Creating xp disc [ 3 Answers ]

I have purchased a second hand computer which has xp loaded on it but it did not come with an xp disc. I want to transfer the required files from this computer to make a bootable disc so that I can re-install if it is required later. Thanks

Creating new math [ 3 Answers ]

My question to you all is how can I have the new math I create checked without worry of someone stealing the ideas or finishing ones that aren't finished?

Help creating a web site [ 6 Answers ]

My parents want to set up some web sites: one for my mothers artwork and another for my fathers archery but they want to do it for free. I am unsure of how to go about settting up one at all and they have put me in chargte of it! Please help, blusia:eek:

Problems with Power Saving in Win XP [ 5 Answers ]

So one day I was messing around with power saving options in Windows XP, and was saving different "power saving schemes", and when I clicked the drop down box (of all the schemes) it crashed. So I went back to it, only to find I had no schemes saved any more, and cannot save a new scheme, because...

Creating one partition? [ 6 Answers ]

Running MS XP SP2. Onboard hdd is 120GB. It's formatted as follows:- C:\ Primary Partition-NTFS-58.59GB-38% free E:\ Partition-NTFS-53.19GB-39% free (Logical Drive) I would prefer the disk to all be seen as C:\ E:\ currently contains a number of Acronis images of C:\ which are not...

View more questions Search