Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    b_beagle Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2006, 07:45 PM
    I think our puppy is sick
    Hi everyone,

I hope some can help. Yesterday, we noticed our 10 week old (we got him approx a week ago) puppy's eyes were watery (clear, no milky or coloring) and a bite of sneezing. So we immediately took him to the vet for a checkup. Vet says everything seems fine... healthy breathing, healthy heart rate, watering normal. However, today (Sunday), the puppy woke up, seemed some what tired and wasn't as energetic as before. He slept for almost the whole day. Every time he did wake up, he'll eat and drink very little, rub his watery (somewhat puffy) eyes with his paws, some more sneezing, do his business, then goes back to sleep. I think his breathing is bite congested too (or I may be too worried). Also, his underbelly isn't as warm as before. He may also have a bite of diarrhea and constipation. The past couple of days, it has been somewhat of normal consistency but today, the 2 times he did go, it was softer (but not liquidy). If things don't seem better by tomorrow morning, we are going to take him to the vet. Since it is winter a cold, we placed a heater, set on low, near his crate for warmth. But for now, can someone who had experienced similar situations please let me know if I should worry so much and offer any advice? Thank you so much in advance!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2006, 09:32 PM
    Lethargy plus diarrhea could mean parvo, a very serious killer of young puppies. It doesn't sound quite like it now. Diarrhea and constipation? Perhaps waiting until morning will be soon enough. Parvo is nasty, quickly killing young puppies just as soon as they have won somebody's heart.

Dec 18, 2006, 12:47 PM
    Thanks! This morning our puppy still had watery (clear), somewhat and almost "lazy" looking eyes and sneezing- but that could just be him just waking up. We took our puppy to the vet this morning for another checkup. According to the vet our puppy may have some type of cold? And eye infection. So she prescribed liquid antibiotics and eyedrops to be administered for the next week (5-7 days). Do puppies/dogs get colds?
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2006, 04:30 PM
    Dogs come down with viruses, but usually their own, not ours. Sometimes it can be a tough judgment call about how soon if at all you run to the vet. So many things can have about the same symptoms. Hope your little fellow is OK soon.

I hope you take a look at the stickies at the top of the dog forum.

Dec 18, 2006, 04:35 PM
    What are the "stickies"
    heathervettechCa Posts: 43, Reputation: 6

Dec 19, 2006, 12:29 AM
    You are doing the right thing by going to the vet. What kind of dog is it? Has it had recent vaccines? If it were parvo, vomiting is usually seen along with the loose stool. However, nothing is ever typical in medicine. What you are describing sounds like allergies, again, this is not definite, but it is a possibility. You really just need to talk to your vet. It is good that your puppy is eating still though. That is the most important thing. And you can never worry too much, its part of being a good parent! Lol :) good luck!
    Let me know what your vet says.
    Heather
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 05:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by b_beagle
    what are the "stickies"
    If you click on Dogs near the top of the page, it takes you to a listing of all the questions in dogs, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/ Moderators can make any thread ''stick'' to the top, stickies.

I have done so sharing things from my experience and training with young puppies. I wanted to add one with some of Heather's material, but am having technical problems.

Dec 19, 2006, 12:00 PM
    Thanks, didn't realized the terminology was "stickie".

Our puppy is a 10 week (almost 11 week old) beagle. When we first got him, he vomitted twice and has some diarrhea, but that was probably from us trying to switch his food (mixing in some of the new brand food with the old brand food). When we noticed this we stopped switching his food and haven't notice any vomit or diarrhea. He seems to be doing well after our visit to the vet yesterday. The vet says he may just have some sort of "cold" and eye infection but nothing too serious. She prescribed some oral antibiotics and eyes drops. He is no longer sluggish, or sleeping long hours. He has gotten his appetite back, starting to drink more water and is cheerful (with wagging tail) again. This morning his eyes seem to be a bite better than yesterday but he is still sneezing... not sure if its allergies or sneezing from being cold. So I was thinking of buying him a heating pad to keep him warm at night. Any advice on that?

Not sure if this will work, but this is a pic of him when we got him.

Name:  n28001748_4862.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  13.5 KB
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 12:24 PM
    I am sure it is the Labs, but I cringe at the thought of leaving an electric cord available to a puppy. Beagles can be chewers too. Perhaps under the floor of the crate.

My puppies do without bedding.

One of them chewed a hole in the flex on the feed to the A/C as well as the vapor tube insulation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sick Puppy! [ 32 Answers ]

I adopted a puppy from our local pound two days ago. He's about nine weeks old. At first, he was relatively playful, ate a bit (although not as much as I though he should), pooped once (solid) and seemed generally okay except for a hacking cough. I brought him to the vet yesterday, and he was found...

Sick puppy [ 2 Answers ]

My six month old lab has lost her apatite and has refused to eat the last two days she won't drink much water either. She had dry heaves last night. She has been around kid for the last two day's and I think they may have given bubble gum or kit kat bars or both. When do y'all think I should go to...

Sick puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have a litter of 7 pups, 6wks old. I went to check on them and mom as I always do around 9:30 pm and one of them was vomiting and shivering. Brought her in the house to try to keep her warm. She drank some water and vomited it up within 30 minutes. None of the other pups seem to have any...

Sick Puppy [ 4 Answers ]

On Friday night my puppy (10 month old beagle) was suddenly really lathargic, wobbly, practically falling over. We took her to the vet and they admitted her for the night. Pumped her full of fluids and she was released the following day, back to her old self. The vet figured she ate something...

Sick puppy [ 2 Answers ]

:( My Little 4 Month Old Puppy Has Been Vomiting For The Past :( Hour Off And On And She Has Slobber Running Out Of Her Mouth Like Water, I Tried To Give Her Water And That Just Came Back Up, I Don't Recall My Pup Getting Into Anything Unless Some Peanuts The Dropped On The Floor, Could This Have...

View more questions Search