Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baha132 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2008, 06:32 PM
    New Moen Faucet Stinks
    Hello - I just completely remodeled 2 bathrooms in my house. In the master bathroom sink, I installed a new Moen faucet with 8-inch centers. Whenever I use this faucet, the water smells terrible. The smell is much worse on the hot side. The water is also slightly discolored when it is first turned on. The other faucets in the house do not have this problem and I did not have this problem with my old faucet in the master bathroom. I thought it might be the hot water heater, but it is only effects one faucet and the cold water smells too. Any ideas?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 06:41 PM
    It's got the "new car smell". Plastics have been known to alter the taste/smell of drinking water. It may go away over time. Hot water will leach the offending chemicals out faster.

Bring it up with the manufacturer.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 04:43 AM
    Is it a soldered valve? Some flux pastes are wax based and do not rinse out for up to 2 years. I personally use laco flux because it rinses out in 2 minutes. The wax based flux will give you a taste until it is completely gone. It will have an odor too. Did you use pipe dope? Sometimes pipe dope gets inside the threads. It can leave a bad taste or smell. Did you use any black iron pipe? It will rust quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moen Faucet clogged [ 1 Answers ]

I recently installed a new countertop and while I had the sink out sawdust got into the water line where the hose connects. I forgot to clean it out before reattaching the faucet and now I believe the sawdust has clogged the faucet. I disconnected the hot water line and flushed the hose, and I...

Moen Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please tell me how to remove the plastic insert that covers up the stem screw in a moen faucet.

Moen faucet diverter [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old Moen single lever faucet in my kitchen. About one week ago, it started showing signs of a problem. When I turn it on after it hasn't been used for an hour or two, the water pressure is very low, almost none. If I turn it on and off a few times, then the pressure gets better....

Moen Faucet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Tom I found the site and registered but I still need my son to reduce the size of the pictures so I can attach them. He took the photo-editing software off my computer. I'll get back to you shortly. Thanks. Mark Ingham

View more questions Search