Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaeanddoug Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Bathroom Sink - Clogged Drain/AC Drain
    We have a bathroom on the second floor that we never use. Two days ago we noticed that water was leaking out from under the carpet and the bathroom sink was filled with water and not draining. The AC condensation drain runs down this drain right above the trap. We took the trap off and snaked the drain but the water will not drain at all other than to fill the trap. While the trap and the small condensation drain pipe had some pink color slime, there didn't seem to be enough buildup for the drain to seem so clogged. I was talking to a co-worker and he suggest that there might be something wrong with the vent on the roof - perhaps a dead animal or debri buildup in the vent. Could this be the problem? I've read that you should either snake the vent or take a hose and run water down in it - which is recommended and if you snake, how long a snake should be used to snake the vent? Also I also read that if you run water down the vent, there is a possibility that the water may gush out of the toilet or sink. Some thoughts on how to best approach this problem would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 12, 2007, 05:45 AM
    "We took the trap off and snaked the drain but the water will not drain at all other than to fill the trap."

If you have snaked the horizontal drain line in the wall and still have standing water in the lavatory then the blockage's down stream from the sanitaary tee in the stack vent. The solution would be to snake the lavatory roof vent. Put out enough cable to reach the base and 30 foot more. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom sink drain [ 4 Answers ]

How do I remove the bathroom sink drain plug to clean out hair? It is draining slow and needs to be cleaned out.

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Slow bathroom sink drain [ 1 Answers ]

Recently we remodeled our third floor bathroom which involved relocating the sink, toilet and tub. Since the remodeling, our new bathroom sink doesn't drain properly. At times it fills up and then slowly drains out, other times it works fine. (The toilet and tub drain fine and they are all...

Clogged kitchen sink drain [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen sink in my mobile home is backed up. I've tried chemicals, snakes, and plundgers but nothing works. Please help me.

Clogged bathroom Sink Drain [ 1 Answers ]

My bathroom sink will not drain all the way. Had plumber in who put snake down drain from under sink and then removed toilet to enter from that end. Was told that the snake could break my lead pipe under the floor so he stopped and said that he had to break up the floor and replace entire pipe. ...

View more questions Search