Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dhoneycutt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 04:15 AM
    Tax benefit on mortgage interest
    Does the tax benefit you receive on mortgage interest outweigh just paying off the loan?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 15, 2009, 07:06 AM

It depends on your circumstance. How much interest you are paying, what your income is, how much you have in other deductions. There are two many variables to answer you accurately.

But generally, if you compare what you can earn on the money versus what the loan costs, you will usually be better off investing the money then paying off your mortgage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax refund on mortgage interest [ 1 Answers ]

How can I calculate the tax savings in a year with mortgage interest?

Mortgage interest [ 1 Answers ]

I paid interest on my mortgage in 2007 and listed the amount, but now taxact is asking this on the next page (see below). I don't know how I'm supposed to answer. I didn't do any construction or improvements to my home last year so do I put all my interest in the top option? What does it mean buy...

Mortgage Interest [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé and I purchased our first place this past year. He has been paying the mortgage and real estate taxes so he was going to claim them on his taxes this year since we are not married yet. Well, I just printed our mortgage interest statement out through our lender. I am listed as the primary...

Mortgage interest [ 1 Answers ]

I got divorced in June 2006 and had a house that both my ex and I paid mortgage interest on. My ex bought me out of the house. Am I entitled to deduct part of the mortgage interest I paid from January to June 2006?

Mortgage Interest [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone claim your mortgage interest on their tax?

View more questions Search