Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janieconroy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Mortgage interest
    I got divorced in June 2006 and had a house that both my ex and I paid mortgage interest on. My ex bought me out of the house. Am I entitled to deduct part of the mortgage interest I paid from January to June 2006?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Yes, you are. However, it might be better to let HIM claim it all and just get a cash payment from him. Otherwise, NEITHER of you may have enough itemized deductions to qualify.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Deduction for Foreign Mortgage Interest [ 1 Answers ]

If I borrow money from a foreign lender for a property in the U.S. can I get income tax deduction for the mortgage interest I paid to the foreign bank? Thanks,

Mortgage Interest [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone claim your mortgage interest on their tax?

Assuming my moms mortgage and getting the interest deduction. [ 2 Answers ]

My mother who is 80 has a home with a terrible mortgage. I want to pay down the loan from 295K to 60K or make a 235K payment. I want to refinance the terms on the remainder (60K) and place my name with hers on the loan. Basically assume the loan and make the payments, with both parties...

Mortgage Interest paid to bank in Canada [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Canadian citizen and now work in the U.S. under a TN Visa I bought a house just across the border in Canada. The mortgage is with a bank in Canada, and they do not issue a Form 1098. Can I deduct the mortgage interest and property taxes on my U.S. tax return? If, so, what documentation...

Mortgage Interest Deduction on Sold Home [ 1 Answers ]

We sold our home in 2005 moved bought a new home. Can I deduct the mortgage interest on the sold up until the date we sold? Thanks

View more questions Search