Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bclarke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2012, 02:25 PM
    Can I open a bank acct. in a different state and money be levied
    Id like to no if now that I live in a dif state can they still levy my new bank acct.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 6, 2012, 04:39 PM
    If the judgment creditor in the first state has the court in the second state recognize the judgment (Processes for this vary from state to state.), yes.

Also, with interstate banking, that might not even be necessary. If the court in the first state serves a writ of garnishment or execution upon a (first state) branch of the bank in which you established your new account, I suspect that the bank would have to turn over the funds in your account. So, if I were you, I would pick a bank in the second state which doesn't do business in the first state.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 6, 2012, 06:12 PM
    Yes they will be able to get the money from the new account, The exact procedure can very depending on the location and the bank, but yes, it is easy to find by the bank, and they will know how to file to get it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 6, 2012, 07:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Yes they will be able to get the money from the new account, The exact procedure can very depending on the location and the bank, but yes, it is easy to find by the bank, and they will know how to file to get it.
    Assuming they know where OP moved to and that they also know what bank it is in which the new account has been established.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the state of CA (Board of Equilization) seize a Tx bank acct? [ 2 Answers ]

Or garnish wages (in Texas) for a 7 y/o debt? - Thank you PS - any help/advice on protecting said bank account?

US Govt confiscated money bank acct [ 7 Answers ]

My two granddaughters had almost $1000 in the bank after the death of their mother. Because of inactivity on this account, the US govt confiscated this money. Surely this money earned interest and was therefor "active" on a regular basis though money had not been added or withdrawn. How do I get...

If I open a bank account in my step daughter's name can it be levied? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a child support order for arrears in California, I live in TX. I have had my bank account levied. I do have my wages garnished but yet I get levied. The California Child Support said that any arrears over $100 can be levied. If I open an account for my minor step daughter and deposit into it...

Levied bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I hope I'm asking this in the right area, but I live in northern NJ and what has happened over the past couple of days is that, although I'm in a payment plan w/ a law firm, they levied my bank account w/out notifying me. Through many difficult phone calls, they told me that my last check had...

Can I open bank account outside state ? [ 3 Answers ]

I stay in NYC. I work in NYC. But I want to open account in other state (New Jersey, Delaware) Can I open bank account New Jersey or Delaware? If OK. Please tell me how to open bank account in other state.

View more questions Search