Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    give100percent Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Why am I beating myself up over this?
    Hello all, well I thought I would never be on the internet asking for advice, but I figured I would take a shot, because I am really having a hard time coping with the loss of my relationship.

I'm 25 and dated a 23 year old girl for a little over a half a year and we fell in love. She didn't really have any friends, because over the last couple of years, she had lied to them and talked badly about them to other people. She didn't really know what she wanted to do with her life. She said she loved her job, but everyday she would complain about it. She always seemed stressed and I did whatever I could, listen, talk, surprise her with things, plan a stress free evening for her on days she had a tough day, made her dinner, and set up a table in my backyard with flowers and everything... anything I could think of. But even though I did all these things, she never really seemed to excited or appreciative. Many times, she wouldn't even say thank you. She would always be in these bad moods throughout the day, and even when she was with me, she would just not seem right. I know that she wasn't happy about her money situation, because she had too many things on her plate, and after paying for them all, there wasn't much left over. She didn't really have much motivation about her life. Anyway, I took her on trips and to visit my friends a few hours away, and well she just never seemed all that happy, and that was tough on me, because I am an optimistic person, and it was enough for me to just be with her. Well she started lying to me about things, and started to not really make an effort in the relationship, and I just couldn't understand what was going on. I did everything I could to keep her happy and was always there for her, and it was at this point that I began to wonder if she was just with me because she didn't really have anything else better to do, and she was so unhappy with her life, so she just took advantage of me because I would always be there for her. She started to become a lot of talk and no action. But it has never been about the money or the job or anything like that with me. I love her, not what she had. Many people that saw how she was though, told me to break up with her, and cut my losses and move on.

Well, then one night, I lied to her about where I was. I work late, and got off and went to hang out with some GUY friends. She called, and we were talking and I told her that I was at home, because I know that despite all of my honesty, she always would speculate, and I assume I had to do with her past boyfriends... although sometimes I wonder if it was because she was just looking for me to make a single mistake, so she could pounce on it. Well I was at the bar with my guy friends, and she always went to bed early, so I sent her a message, telling her where I was going to be. Well, a few hrs later she called and asked where I was... I let he know that I was at home. Well in the middle of the conversation, my cell phone just quit. It was the worst timing ever. Well I had to find my old phone to now activate and set up, but it took forever. So about 2 hrs later, I finally got the phone set up, and she had called me like 13 times, and just as the phone came on, she was calling. I answered right away and told her how sorry I was, but she wasn't happy. I told her that I could understand that, but I was doing everything I could. She then said, why didn't you use the house phone. Well, that was a very good question, but I just didn't think of that, and in a sense I figured that she would probably have just fallen back asleep anyway. It was 2am and I didn't want to wake anyone in the house up, and well I just never ever use the house phone. Now, many times when I would call her at night, she would never answer the phone, sure she said she was sleeping, and sure I believed that, but she wouldn't call until the morning, and I never made a fuss about that. Well in the end, she said, its okay, I guess next time just remember you have a house phone. And I said, I know and I am sorry, but honestly I just panicked and because I never use it, I just didn't think about it... Well the next few days were okay, and then all of a sudden, she said that she wasn't happy. She said that she was not happy anymore that she had seen signs that she should break up with me.

Well, all that sticks in my head is that one night. She never had any reason to not trust me, so I have tried telling myself that this night was not one of those signs, because if it was, then basically I lost everything, but didn't even do anything wrong. Everyone tells me that this had nothing to do with why we aren't together, and that I needed to realize. Everyday though, this all that I can think about, and I just wonder if I had just thought about my house phone, or if my phone just hadn't crashed, would we still be together? How do I cope with the pain of thinking of this? It eats me alive, because I feel I lost everything, but for nothing.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2008, 08:17 AM

It seems that you put a lot into this relationship that you had with her while she did nothing.

The phone incident wasn't the cause of her not wanting to be with you but it was only an excuse. Actions speak louder than words and if you was to reflect back on your relationship with her and be the outsider looking in, what did her actions really say?

Your friends was right in telling you to cut loose with her but sometimes when your involved with someone you tend to get blinded and ignore people advice but in the end you wish you would have listen. A relationship takes 2 people to work not one and she didn't do anything but accepted everything you threw at her.

You seem like a very nice guy and one day your actions will make someone happy but it wasn't her. She reverse the break-up on you but you know you did nothing wrong so let her words roll off you like water. Be glad she's is gone. You tried to win her over but she didn't want to won over.

Life is all about learning. You learned a valuable lesson from this that will help you in the future. Next time around you will know what not to do. So with that being said don't feel guilty because you did nothing wrong. Go and hang out from your friends and live your life because life is too short to be hung up over someone that's not worth it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 12, 2008, 01:03 PM

I think she would have left any way so don't sweat it. Just move on to a happier person.
    give100percent Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 08:19 PM
    Well, then one night, I lied to her about where I was. I work late, and got off and went to hang out with some GUY friends. She called, and we were talking and I told her that I was at home, because I know that despite all of my honesty, she always would speculate, and I assume I had to do with her past boyfriends... although sometimes I wonder if it was because she was just looking for me to make a single mistake, so she could pounce on it.
    This part was supposed to say "well then one night, she thought that I lied to her about where I was. I work late, and got off and went to hang out with some GUY friends. She called, and we were talking and I told her that I was at home, and I was and I never stayed out late, because despite all of my honesty, she always would speculate about things, and I assume it had to do with her past boyfriends...although sometimes I wonder if it was because she was just looking for me to make a single mistake, so she could pounce on it."

Not sure if this will make a difference in the replies, but I just noticed this and it hadn't been proofread before it was published, because my friend did it while I was not in my room, thinking it would be funny. You can see by reading the next paragraph that was published that I had said I hadn't done anything wrong, because I knew I hadn't lied, and that is why I even posted this to begin with, because it didn't make sense for this to be held against me, even though I was honest.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 08:32 PM

Doesn't change my opinion, she was looking for an excuse, and she got one, and wouldn't have mattered if it was a lie, or the truth.
    Sorry.
    Ash123 Posts: 1,793, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2008, 08:34 PM

Sometimes what we want to fight for is what we should surrender to.

It's just not what our ego understands until enough time has passed.
    thadevilsadvocate Posts: 122, Reputation: 62

Oct 15, 2008, 09:37 PM

Ah, that makes sense now. I thought it must have been written wrong... that is why I didn't comment before because I didn't understand it... Talaniman is right, she was looking for an excuse, even though you didn't lie, but she was able to put the blame on the situation, and make it out to be whatever she wanted to. You were honest the entire relationship, so she had no reason not to trust you in this situation, or any situation. You forgave her lies and forgave her lies, and you stayed there no matter what, because you loved her.

I am pretty sure that she had a lot of guilt in her mind because of all the things she has done, and she may have even done possibly even more than you know about... this would only make sense why she tried to make you out to be a liar, because then she could try to make you out to look like the bad guy... but honestly, she knows that you were always honest and good to her, and this was her way to try to get the attention off her... but, I am sure that people who know her, know the kind of person she is, after all you talked about how she didn't have any friends, because of the lying person she is. Keep your head up and keep being a good person and realize that she had screwed everything up for you along time ago... and you stuck around for her, and gave her golden opportunities, and she just isn't mature enough to realize how valuable they were. Maybe she will someday... but unfortunately, people like this, sometimes never realize it... and that is her loss. You are a good honest guy, and there are many women in the world that realize that, and know to hold on to that.

Keep your head up. Continue to be you and realize that everyone sees the bad things she has done and the bad things she did to you. If she ever becomes honest with herself, then she will realize what she has given up by doing this to you. Til then, she will have a long bumpy road ahead of her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heart-I hear you beating [ 4 Answers ]

I know this song was recorded by Wayne Newton, but somebody else also did it and was more popular. Anyone know Who it was?:confused:

Beating depression [ 3 Answers ]

I have been on various different anti depressiants but none seem to have the desired effect wanderin if anyone out there has been on anything that's made a difference and how long the effects took :confused::confused:

Wife-beating is part of [ 31 Answers ]

I ran across this article where Professor Richard Dawkins said: Political Mavens » IRANIAN MINA AHADI WINS “SECULARIST OF THE YEAR” “I have long felt that the key to solving the worldwide menace of Islamic terrorism and oppression would eventually be the awakening of women, and Mina Ahadi is...

View more questions Search