Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaysay21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2008, 09:57 AM
    Vectors in physics
    A swimmer is capable of swimming 0.50 m/s in still water.
    If she aims her body directly across a 75 m-wide river whose current is 0.35 m/s, how far downstream (from a point opposite her starting point) will she land?
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Oct 7, 2008, 07:19 PM

Given a velocity, what do you need to calculate a distance?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2008, 08:11 AM

Here, you need to draw a diagram of forces. Say your river is flowing from west to east, and your swimmer is crossing northwards. There is a forward force of 0.50m/s (note that it is not a force, but it eases the work) and a side force towards the east, of 0.35m/s.

Now calculate the time to reach the other end of the river without the current. Then use that answer to calculate the distance moved by the water during that time. This distance is the answer.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Oct 8, 2008, 06:43 PM

As Unknown008 says, speed is not a force so don't get the terms confused. Speed in a specific direction is a vector quantity so it is perfectly OK to draw the swimmer and water speeds in this case as vectors if you need to do so to as a part of the problem, or to simply help you visualize it. My hint was to simply figure the time to directly across, which as noted, gives the time for the moving water to deflect the swimmer downstream, from which you may derive the distance downstream.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Horizontal Vectors [ 1 Answers ]

A car drives horizontally off a 73m high cliff at a speed of 27 m/s. Ignore air resistance. How long will it take the car to hit the ground? How far from the base of the cliff will the care hit? Any guidance will help. Thanks!

Physics of adding and subtracting vectors [ 1 Answers ]

30. A jogger travels a route that has two parts, the first is a displacement A of 2.50 km due south and the second involves a displacement B that points due east. (a) the resultant displacement of A + B has a magnitude of 3.75 km. what is the magnitude of B, and what is the direction of A + B...

Vectors and magnitude [ 1 Answers ]

I have two questions for you can you help me solve them and then show me how you solved it. First Question: Find a) the x-intercept A and y-intercept B of the line. b) the coordinates of the point P so that lin AP is perpendicular to the line and the magnitude of the line AP = 1....

About vectors [ 2 Answers ]

I'm facing problem how to visualise vevtors when our sir teaches... what exactly are vectors how do they look like... how can we easily understand these properties such as rings etc

Calculating vectors [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I got a question that I am stuck with and need some help on it A boat that is capable of travelling at 4.5km/hr in still water is travelling on a river whose current is 1.5jm/h East. Find the time it takes for the boat to travel 3.0km downstream relative to the shore. And The time the boat...

View more questions Search