Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Felix2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 01:36 PM
    Vectors and magnitude
    I have two questions for you can you help me solve them and then show me how
    you solved it.

First Question:
    Find

a) the x-intercept A and y-intercept B of the line.

b) the coordinates of the point P so that lin AP is perpendicular to
    the line and the magnitude of the line AP = 1. (There are two answers.)

of the equation (3x)-(4y)=12

Second Question:

Is it possible to find a point on a line that is exactly one point from the x-intercept on a line without using a calculator. Here's a better question, using the
    equation Y=(-4/3)X+(16/3)find a point on the line that is exactly one unit away
    from the x-intercept without using a calculator. (There is only two answers)
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2008, 04:12 PM
    Is it possible to find a point on a line that is exactly one point from the x-intercept on a line without using a calculator.Yes, it is here's a better question, using the
    equation Y=(-4/3)X+(16/3)find a point on the line that is exactly one unit away
    from the x-intercept without using a calculator. (There is only two answers)

We can use the distance formula.

We can easily find the x-intercept by setting y=0 and solving for x.

We find quickly that x=4.

Using the coordinates of the x-intercept which are (4,0).

But, , sub that in:

Multiply by 9 to get rid of the fractions:

Factor:

Now, it's easy to find the two solutions. Plug those back into the line equation to find their corresponding y values. Those are the two points which are 1 unit along the line from the x-intercept. And no calculator. :)
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Magnitude of a line [ 1 Answers ]

Points A(-8,3) and B(1,-9) are the initial and that terminal points of line AB. Find the magnitude of line AB.

Magnitude of P [ 1 Answers ]

A block of mass m is pushed up against a wall by a force P that makes an angle theta with the horizontal. The coefficient of static friction between the block and the wall is mu*s. Determine the possible values for the magnitude P that allows the block to remain stationary.

Finding the magnitude of vectors [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: does anyone know how to find the magnitude of a vector because I can add and subtract them and all that stuff but I can not find the magnitude and the heading... so if someone could help me that would be nice!:confused:

Magnitude of P [ 3 Answers ]

A block of mass 8.00 kg is pushed up against a wall by a force P that makes a 50.0° angle with the horizontal. The coefficient of static friction between the block and the wall is 0.27. Determine the possible values for the magnitude of P that allow the block to remain stationary. Find N maximum ...

View more questions Search