Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bjb2u Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 08:22 AM
    Divorce yes or no
    I don't want to divorce him but he needs help with his drinking problem.. which I guess makes it my problem too.Is there any kind of help:cool::(
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Nov 16, 2007, 08:26 AM
    I would highly recommend Al-Anon Welcome to Al-Anon and Alateen it is an alcohol abuse group for family members.
    onfire4God Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Nov 18, 2007, 09:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bjb2u
    I don't want to divorce him but he needs help with his drinking problem..which I guess makes it my problem too.Is there any kind of help:cool::(
    My father was a drunk 4 14yrs of my life.I was a daddy's girl all the way but when my mother left him and took me life finally come to her and myself.You don't and shouldn't stay.When someone loves a thing more then their spouse or children they aren't worth staying with.Yes this might seem harsh 2 some but the truth always hurts.Don't think he will ever change 4 you or anyone else.I can say this when my mom left and he hit the bottom HARD he quit drinking the last 4 yrs of his life.So there is hope always yet sometimes we get in the way of God.

Nov 18, 2007, 09:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by onfire4God
    My father was a drunk 4 14yrs of my life.I was a daddy's girl all the way but when my mother left him and took me life finally come 2 her and myself.You don't and shouldn't stay.When someone loves a thing more then their spouse or children they aren't worth staying with.Yes this might seem harsh 2 some but the truth always hurts.Don't think he will ever change 4 you or anyone else.I can say this when my mom left and he hit the bottom HARD he quit drinking the last 4 yrs of his life.So there is hope always yet sometimes we get in the way of God.
    Thank you but I don't think that's the answer I wanted. He needs help.. not another let down

Nov 18, 2007, 09:43 PM
    He need help not another let down.. Thank you for you comment...
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 09:47 PM
    It depends on the person. Some people need to hit rock bottom in order to change, others need support and help through it in order to change. You know your husband better then anybody. Divorce is drastic unless there is abuse involved, if so then you do need to get out.
    Counseling, marriage counseling, AA and other support groups are needed. You need to look into these things and see if he is willing to change for himself.

Nov 18, 2007, 09:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    It depends on the person. Some people need to hit rock bottom in order to change, others need support and help through it in order to change. You know your husband better then anybody. Divorce is drastic unless there is abuse involved, if so then you do need to get out.
    Counseling, marriage counseling, AA and other support groups are needed. You need to look into these things and see if he is willing to change for himself.
    You are right... thank you

Nov 18, 2007, 09:50 PM
    You are absolutely right.. thank you for caring about others...

Nov 18, 2007, 09:53 PM
    Comment on LearningAsIGo's post
    Because this person is caring. It helped me... thanks
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 27, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Sad as it is, and as hard as it is to do, the only help you can give this man is to leave him alone to fall on his face hard enough to want to change. Get with an Al-Anon group in your area to educate yourself about this disease, and how to handle it, and protect yourself.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 11:43 AM
    From personal experience, divorce only hurts the children. However a drunk parent hurts way more. My parents were divorced when I was 7. Of course I was stuck to my mother who became the drunk. She belittled my father all the time. Was usually drunk by 7 about 5 out of 7 nites, and I was lucky to get dinner by 9 and that was if I did it myself. From my experience, your only choice is to give him the ultimatum, get sober or get out. His drinking problem will only destroy your family and cause untold problems for the children. Do you want that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I get a divorce [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I talk on the phone very formally. I don't know how to joke with him and if I call I get straight to the point of the call. I am away from home for the last 8months for studies and he has told me that I can't talk to our 3year old daughter through his phone. Each time I want to talk...

Maybe divorce? [ 46 Answers ]

Hello! A couple of months ago I discovered that I am not BF of two children who my wife gave birth in our marriage.We are still married.A neighbour of us initiated a law suit against us because he believes that he is BF of the second child who has his eye-color.My wife and I took private DNA tests...

Divorce or not [ 7 Answers ]

I have been married nine years and just found out last week that my husband cheated on me with his first wife just before we were married and just after. I have had my suspicions within 6 months after we married he came down with herpes... that he never had before in the months we dates and not...

Divorce [ 4 Answers ]

I Have Been Married For Three Years To My Husband Who Is Originally From Barbados, His Green Card Expires In March 2007 And I Want To Get A Divorce, How Will This Affect His Citizenship Status?

Divorce-Who does it? [ 9 Answers ]

My friend lives in Iowa, has decided to divorce his wife. They are not contesting anything, want 50/50 with their two daughters and agree on everything. The question is does he have to pay an attorney $2000 to get the divorce or can he get the necissary papers and do it himself for around $300?

View more questions Search