Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scubadeb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Summons civil case management conference
    I received a summons for uncollected debt and I want to know if I can just pay it off without going to court - can you help me?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Hello scuba:

Yes, of course you can pay it. However, do it in consort with the collection agent or lawyer. If you just send money, they'll take it AND continue to sue you.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 4, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Wheter you can do this or not depends on whether you can negotiate an agreement with the creditor. If you are ready and able to pay the balance due in full, then contact them and ask where to send the payment and make sure they will send you a confirmatin of satisfaction and cease legal action.

However, if you cannot pay the full amount in a lump sum, you will have to negotiate a payment plan that you both can agree on. Make sure that part of the agreement (in wirting) is a cessation of legal action.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil Summons [ 2 Answers ]

What is a civil summons?

Case Management Conference [ 2 Answers ]

I have got papers from one of the lawyer to appear in the court for a civil case (debt) for case management confernece. Is here any reply I need to send to them court before the date or just show up on the date and time they have asked. Please help!

Civil summons [ 11 Answers ]

What is the civil summons process?? How long does the deputy have to deliver the summons.? We hired a contractor to do a job and he didn't return to finish the job after receiving a draw. This is SC (( Columbia )) If our addresses turn up negative for delivery from the deputy what is the next...

View more questions Search