Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    terryjoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Weight lifting
    I am a 59 year old male who has been lifting weights for 40 years. After having hiatal hernia surgery, should I continue to lift heavy weights?
    Bocasean Posts: 147, Reputation: 20

Oct 5, 2007, 10:35 AM
    What does your doctor have to say about it? Obviously, you shouldn't strain anything while you're healing, but I imagine that once you heal, you'll be all right.

As long as your technique is solid and you don't Valsalva (which you shouldn't do anyways), I think you'll be okay.

But again, ask your doctor.
    Edwin55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 11:33 AM
    What strength excercises should be done for swimmers
    Bocasean Posts: 147, Reputation: 20

Oct 16, 2007, 12:37 PM
    The easiest way I've found to strength train for specific endeavors is to mimic whatever you do in the sport itself.

So when you think of swimming, you think of the stages of each race:

To improve your start, train your quadriceps and calves so that they are as powerful and explosive as possible.

To improve your kick, train your hamstrings and lower back to be powerful, yet still maintain endurance.

To improve your upper-body strokes, focus on the core muscles and the stabilizer muscles that come into play during whatever stroke you perform. Your prime-mover muscles (the ones that do the bulk of the work) can then be built after you've formed a solid foundation with the core muscles and stabilizers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weight lifting [ 2 Answers ]

Ive gotten to the point now where I divide my exericses groups into day such as my chest and legs one day and then my biceps and triceps the next time I work out etc.. I just wondering should I be doing multiple exercises per muscle so do three chest exercises on the day I do my chest and so on? ...

Weight lifting at young age [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am 15 years old and am lifting quite heavy weights -i'm talking about 100kg-. Is there any chance that this can stunt my growth? I lift with correct form, however my growth does concern me. I have been lifting for about 20 months now,

Share An Up-lifting Story? [ 4 Answers ]

An Up-lifting Story Ice Cream For The Soul Last week I took my children to a restaurant. My six-year- old son asked if he could say grace. As we bowed our heads he said "God is good. God is great. Thank you for the food, and I would even thank you more if mom gets us ice cream for dessert....

Shop lifting [ 3 Answers ]

Someone, anyone I need some answers real fast. I'm in Canada and I was caught shop lifting. I was charged of course and I'm waiting for my court appearance, needless to say I'm scarred and the way I see it I should be. I have a bi polar disorder for the last 25 years. And for some stupid...

Weight lifting [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if it is OK to do a full body workout three days a week? Also when is the best time to do a workout I usually do it around 4 or 5 pm.

View more questions Search