Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlaurie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 11:36 AM
    Small engine cranks, doesn't run
    I have a rider mower that uses a 17.5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. The engine cranks but does not run. I have replaced the fuel lines (which were cracked), the fuel filter, the spark plugs, the oil, battery,and air filter. I have gas getting to the carburetor but after that - nothing. I have poured gas into the carburetor and it will run for a short time then die. The engine model is 42A707, the engine type is 2238E1. I would be very grateful for any help anyone can supply.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 12:11 PM

I think you may have answered your question. If it runs when you poor gas then the crab is not getting fuel. So either a stuck float or a bad fuel pump.

Dumping the fuel in replaces the fuel pump.SO the plug and ignition coil is good and compression is good spark is good etc.

I would start by cleaning the carb out with carb cleaner and go from there. May need a re build kit. Re check for a cracked fuel line or a pinched line and clamps on the fuel line tight.

Apr 26, 2009, 12:31 PM
    Thanks! I will try that. I appreciate your quick response. I can't see how to rate the answer, but will come back later and try again.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 01:04 PM

You just mouse over the orange 'rate this answer" and click on that. It then has an agree or a disagree and room for comment.

I will be waiting to hear to see how you make out Good Luck...

Apr 27, 2009, 06:13 AM
    The fuel lnes check out, I liberally applied carb cleaner on the linkage- no change. Would a crack on the membrane be the culprit? I removed the 4 hole face plate and glanced at it but really didn't inspect it. I am looking up a rebuild kit now. On a different note, the orange "rate this answer" didn't appear, I don't know why. It only appears on my posts and not your answers. Probably the newbie factor - sorry! Again thank you for your quick reply, it has been very helpful.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2009, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Would a crack on the membrane be the culprit?
    Pretty much any crack on a membrane is a bad one. Especially if it's the fuel diaphragm fuel pump. Where is that membrane on the carb?

"rate " not appearing is odd maybe you are in a different screen then the rest here. Just for kicks and here is the web page I'm on and see if you see anything below our answers.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/tools-...un-346280.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 civic engine cranks but it won't start! [ 104 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 92 civic dx manual with 188k miles My son drove it to School had it towed home. The engine cranks over but it won’t start. I’m not getting fuel over to the fuel rail. I have no pressure. I got no problem codes. Check engine light never came on.

Engine Cranks but won't start [ 5 Answers ]

I drove my 97 eclipse gst with 53000 miles the other day and parked it shortly after. It would not start again. Engine would crank but would not start. I checked fuel pump, works when turning the key. I checked fuel rail and it is receiving fuel. I checked spark on all wires it is fine and plugs...

Engine cranks long time before starting [ 2 Answers ]

hello I just been and got in my car not used it since this morning it cranks but it took time to start engine cranks then k=like before eventually fires. I have read the stater motor stuff will try that in bit see what I find thank you

Full tank of fuel. Engine cranks w/o starting [ 6 Answers ]

Vehicle was low on fuel. Filled tank. Then attempted to start but all engine would do is crank without firing.

My engine cranks but no fuel. 92 civic dx [ 2 Answers ]

When I got home last night I took out my key and car was still running. I tried to put the key back in and take it out the car did not stop. I placed it in gear and let the clutch turn it off. Next day I found out when the key is out I press my hazard switch and the car turns off. When I was going...

View more questions Search