Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drtutt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Full tank of fuel. Engine cranks w/o starting
    Vehicle was low on fuel. Filled tank. Then attempted to start but all engine would do is crank without firing.
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 10:25 AM

OK, some cars you can turn the key to on and then back off and do that about 6-8 times and then it might start right up. I was taught that little trick and it worked to get fuel up to the motor. I was completely empty when I did that, but some cars work that way as a primer when you turn your key to the on position. Or maybe you have flooded it!
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Also, just suggestions from me. I would listen to txgreasemonkey for a more professional advice, he has helped me plenty!
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 12:18 PM

Three things are needed for a gasoline motor to run. Fuel, spark and air. If you are sure you have fuel, then check spark. If you have been cranking for a while it is possible the battery is low enough not to supply enough electricity to produce a spark.
    Sticky Sam Posts: 76, Reputation: -2

Dec 16, 2008, 03:54 PM

1.Take your fuel cap off, then put back on and turn engine.
    2. You may have flooded the engine, try starting at full throttle.
    3. Check you have a spark at the plug, take one out, put it back in the plug cap and rest sparkplug against the block. Get someone to turn engine over while you look for a spark. You will only need to do this for a couple of seconds! 4. If you have a spark, you may have sucked crud off the bottom of the fuel tank and blocked a fuel filter.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 05:19 PM

You'd be surprised how many level headed everyday people I've met at the shop like this after a fill up... and they put diesel fuel in it!!
    mazak Posts: 148, Reputation: 5

Dec 16, 2008, 05:30 PM

Year make and model of car please.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fuel smell, Fuel tank leak [ 7 Answers ]

We had a fuel tank leak, how do I get the smell out of our boat? What do you know about a aluminum tank leaking? We have a 1988 Bayliner 34' the tank is located under the back bed, she holds 200 gal, we don't know where the leak is on the tank. We have been told it will be costly to repair, I have...

Engine cranks long time before starting [ 2 Answers ]

hello I just been and got in my car not used it since this morning it cranks but it took time to start engine cranks then k=like before eventually fires. I have read the stater motor stuff will try that in bit see what I find thank you

CRANKS but will NOT START 94 , has SPARK and FUEL ran low on gas [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 94 civic ex with around 200k 5-spd. I have checked just about everything, The yellow CEL light COMES ON and CLICKS AS IT GOES OFF when I turn the key to the on position. And I can hear my fuel pump pressurizing for 2 seconds as this happens as well. TESTED ALL FUSES, TESTED MAIN...

My engine cranks but no fuel. 92 civic dx [ 2 Answers ]

When I got home last night I took out my key and car was still running. I tried to put the key back in and take it out the car did not stop. I placed it in gear and let the clutch turn it off. Next day I found out when the key is out I press my hazard switch and the car turns off. When I was going...

View more questions Search