Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LGJ44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 07:30 AM
    2-Cycle Small Engine Oil
    At the store, you can find 2-cycle engine oil that read:
    25:1, 32:1, 50:1 or 100:1 ratio on each bottle.

Does this mean that the oil is in different concentrations in each of these bottles? I understand the mixing ration, but if I want a 25:1 ratio, can I use a bottle that reads 100:1ratio?

Thanks,

Larry
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2008, 12:09 PM
    I'm confused.

Each engine requires a specific mix where 50:1 is common. That's 50 parts gasoline to 1 part oil. The oil is typically 30W, but 2 cycle oil is formulated for 2 cycle engines.

I believe what you are seeing is the mixing instructions. Typically, one small bottle of 2 cycle engine oil to 1 gallon of gas yields a 50:1 mix. 1/2 a bottle to 1 gallon of gas yields 100:1 mix.

If you need 25:1, then it's 2 bottles to 1 gallon of gasoline.

Look at the instructions again.

I'm not aware that you can buy 2 cycle gasoline.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2008, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LGJ44
    At the store, you can find 2-cycle engine oil that read:
    25:1, 32:1, 50:1 or 100:1 ratio on each bottle.

Does this mean that the oil is in different concentrations in each of these bottles? I understand the mixing ration, but if I want a 25:1 ratio, can I use a bottle that reads 100:1ratio?

Thanks,

Larry
    Yes, if it only gives that ratio, then that is the ratio it will mix. Yes, you could use different ratios to obtain the ratio desired, but why go through all the trouble to figure the mixture conversions. Just use the corrrect ratio oil to begin with and be on your way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2-cycle oil / gas ratio [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a way to consolidate gas tanks. I have three different machines that of course all use a different ratio. Auger is 24:1, snowblower is 50:1, and weedeater is 40:1. Is there a product out there which would allow me to use 1 or 2 tanks for these... I'd appreciate any input ...

Small briggs engine [ 1 Answers ]

What are the causes of gas in the oil sump?

2 cycle oil [ 2 Answers ]

Okay I have ran 2 cycle oil in all my chain saws before and I have just ran plain oil in the gas to and I am wondering if there is a type of chart that says the oil conversion for normal oil, not 2 cycle. Normal oil worked just fine in my other chain saw just wondering if there was a chart out...

Engine oil specs [ 1 Answers ]

What will happen if you put 3 quarts of oil in a 1&3/4 capacity engine? I am having a trouble with the engine cranking with the spark plugs installed. When you take the spark plugs out, oil pumps out when cranking engine.

Engine Oil [ 3 Answers ]

All right, problems with this car are coming up constantly. I just found out my Civic 91 DX has been driving on mineral based 15W40 oil for at least 6 years now. My service manual suggests a full synthetic 5W30, and I read somewhere that you should do some kind of "flushing" of the whole engine...

View more questions Search