Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kkouis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 04:10 PM
    91 honda civics starts but won't continue to run
    I have a "91" honda civic 1500 with 189,000 mi. I changed the plugs and wires but the still have the same problem. The car will start and run for several seconds normaly then die. The only way to keep it running is to pump the gas peddle vigorously. The car will continue to run a little longer but in fits. It runs smoothly when it runs. I disconnected the fuel line from the filter and fuel ran through the filter liberally. The car acts like it's being starved for fuel. Is this a correct assumption and where do I go from here. I'm trying to fix this for a young single mom with no money friend. Please help!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2007, 05:24 PM
    1. Ensure vacuum hoses don't leak.

2. Test/replace the fuel pressure regulator. Here's how the fuel pressure regulator works:

The fuel pressure regulator maintains a constant fuel pressure to the fuel injectors. When the difference between the fuel pressure and manifold pressure exceeds 43 psi, the diaphragm is pushed upward, and the excess fuel is fed back into the fuel tank through the return line.

Test

. Attach fuel pressure gauge to the service port of the fuel filter. Pressure should be 40-47 psi, with fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose disconnected and pinched.
    . Reconnect vacuum hose to fuel pressure regulator.
    . Check that fuel pressure rises when vacuum hose from fuel pressure regulator is disconnected again. If fuel pressure did not rise, replace fuel pressure regulator.

3. Test/replace the Throttle Position (TP) Sensor.
    4. Test igniter and coil for free at AutoZone, if your assumption that it is a fuel-related problem is incorrect.
    FixHondas Posts: 70, Reputation: 4

Apr 6, 2007, 10:21 PM
    If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge, you can pinch off the fuel return line with pliers (rag around the hose to prevent damage) and see if it will run longer. You may have fuel but the pump might not supply enough flow. Bad fuel pumps on this model are rare.

Also check to see if the exhaust flows freely out of the tail pipe when it runs for a few seconds, sometimes a clogged cat or messed up muffler baffle can restrict the exhaust flow (but this usually makes a hissing sound).

This engine is throttle body injected, you can remove the black lid above the throttle body (four phillips screws) and verify that fuel is spraying out from the injectors. It may be difficult to see with closed throttle, so have somoeone hold it to the floor and try to start it.

If you really want to get high tech, with the upper lid removed, spray brake cleaner into the throttle body and see if you can get it to continue to run, if so, you are not getting fuel for a number of possible reasons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 honda civic starts very rough then stalls. [ 16 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I've been reading as much as I can on this and other sites regarding starting problems on 91 honda civics. The information I gained was very helpful and informative, but, I am not 100% sure if my problem is with the ignition coil or igniter or the whole distributor. I...

96' Honda Accord almost starts [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1996 Honda Accord with the four cylinder motor. It is an automatic with air conditioning. My problem is this: when I attempt to start the car it cranks perfectly and hits well enough for me to let off the ignition because it seems to have started. But it doesn't keep running. It will...

1988 Honda Civic Starts, but stalls [ 1 Answers ]

Got new fuel pump relay, but did not help. Changed fuel filter. No help. Unplugged vacuum hose from EGR, still won't run. It starts fine, but like it's got no gas it stops right away. How can I troubleshoot what is wrong and/or what is most likely wrong?

91 Honda Civic starts by itself [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 91 honda civic that tries to start by itself with no key in the ignition. It will keep going until you take the cable off the battery. Wondering if this is a starter problem or an ignition problem. :confused:

1988 Honda Civic DX - Starts & Stops [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having problems getting my Civic to run consistently. It will run for about 3-4 miles and then stall out and won't start again until it cools off for a couple of hours. When I try to restart it, it sounds like it's going to start but it just won't go all the way. It goes through more coolant...

View more questions Search