Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patreese1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2010, 04:22 PM
    In the state of Georgia can a grand parent claim a child on there income taxes?
    Hi, I am the non- custodial father. I pay child support every month. In my ex girlfriend allows her mother to claim my daughter. What can I do about this.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 28, 2010, 09:10 PM
    You are clearly the non-custodial parent, so, unless you get written consent from your girl friend to claim the child, or you have some type of separation agreement IN WRITING that allows you to claim the child, you are pretty much out of luck.

Even if you can show you are providing more than half of the child's total support (which, BTW, is NOT likely if you are NOT the custodial parent), you must have the cooperation of the custodial parent for you to claim the child.

You can do your own research by reading Chapter 3 of IRS Pub 17, which can be downloaded from Internal Revenue Service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to claim my state disability income on my taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in California and have been receiving state disability for 8 months. Do I need to report this income on my taxes this year? If so, do I have to pay both state and federal taxes on this money? Thank you:)

What to do when a non custodian parent claim my child taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I recently went and file my taxes ,and I was gone claim my two kids ,and it happens that my ex file there taxes as his dependents,he has not seem them in about 7 years ,what can I do I caim them every year so I'm very confused!! :(:confused:

Can the non-custodial parent claim the child on their taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 5 yrs old and her father has not done anything for her. Now out the blue, he wants to be in her life. We have a temperary child support established ( as of today). He wants to claim her on his taxes next year. Can he do this being that he is the non-custodial parent and has never...

Paying ga. State income taxes on income earned in another state [ 1 Answers ]

I earned money working in Texas, which does not have a state income tax, however I discovered when I filed my taxes I was being assesed taxes on income I did not earn in Georgia, I don't know the law, but I feel this is unfair.

View more questions Search