Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JISAAC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2009, 11:32 AM
    What to do when a non custodian parent claim my child taxes
    Hi I recently went and file my taxes ,and I was gone claim my two kids ,and it happens that my ex file there taxes as his dependents,he has not seem them in about 7 years ,what can I do I caim them every year so I'm very confused!! :(:confused:
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 02:54 AM

If some ono else has claimed the dependent, and you are sure that you are the one who is eligible to claim the dependent, then you must claim the dependent and file your tax return.

If you are unable to efile, then send paper return. IRS will then contact both of you to figure out who can claim the child. One of you will have to amend the tax return and pay the tax due with interest and penalty.

Only custodial parent can claim the child. It does not count who is paying child support. Also, non-custodial parent can claim the child only if the custodial parent signs a release Form 8863 or there is a court order. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Child of separated or divorced parents

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a noncustodial parent claim my child before I do? [ 7 Answers ]

My daughter's father has always claimed her in the past 5 years because I do not work and my fiancé was not legally her father. However, I am married now, and a full time student. My husband and I would like to claim my daughter on our income taxes this year but her biological father is trying to...

Non-custodial parent claimed child on his taxes [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I just found out that my child's father claimed my 4 month old son on his taxes! Before I did I am so pissed and I want to know if there is something I ca do about this? And the sad thing is he does not support or see him at all.

Who has the right to claim a child on taxes if father is in arrears? [ 3 Answers ]

Per our court order either parents gets to claim our child every other year. It also states that the father maybe no more than 30 days in arrears on his child support or he gives up the right to claim the child for his year. What is confusing to me is this at the end of his year to claim(December...

Can the non-custodial parent claim the child on their taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 5 yrs old and her father has not done anything for her. Now out the blue, he wants to be in her life. We have a temperary child support established ( as of today). He wants to claim her on his taxes next year. Can he do this being that he is the non-custodial parent and has never...

Non-custodian parent moves to foreign country [ 2 Answers ]

The non-custodian parents just recently moved to Taiwan and claims that he no long lives in California to pay for child support. He still owns property and I believe he gets paid in US. Does he still need to pay child support for our 16 year old son?

View more questions Search