Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Extravagance Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Foreclosure on Rental Properties
    I have 4 rental properties and a home of my own that I live in with my wife and child. I do not have a regular pay check coming in and can have pretty much depleted my savings to pay the mortgage and bills on the home I live in. My wife's paycheck does not cover our home and expenses. The rentals do have some income coming in but does not cover the mortgage and bills and I have been unable to keep up the payments - some I havent' made and some have been late. I have no choice but to foreclose on rentals and move on or file bankruptcy. What will happen to the home I live in now. Will that be affected? Will the banks take that home also? What is the optimal choice? Help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 26, 2008, 08:10 AM
    Whether your home is at risk depends on what form your ownership of the other properties is in. If you can be held personally liable for the debts, it is possible that they could go after your house. Depends on what you owe and how much equity you have.

Bankruptcy might be a better choice. It may allow you to keep the properties so you can use the income to pay your debts.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 08:22 AM
    Hello Extravagance:

You picked a pretty good name...

Assuming you aren't incorporated, you're going to lose the rentals, and you'll owe the difference between what they sell them for and what your mortgage balance is now - plus all the added fees.

They'll sue you and win. They'll slap a lien on your house, which is probably going to be for MORE than your house is worth. Then they'll seize your bank accounts and your wife's paycheck.

I don't know why you don't have a job, but maybe if you got one, you could save your stuff. Otherwise, its bankruptcy court for you.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rental in foreclosure? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I'm a single Mom and I rent a townhome and am up-to-date on my rent payments. A came by wanting to do a home inspection and claiming my rental is in foreclosure. How can I find out if my landlord has my home facing foreclosure? Thanks!

Will foreclosure affect other properties I own? [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 properties. One is in the process of foreclosure. I would like to know how will this affect my other property. The second house is being rented and it is up to date on mortgage payments. Thank you.

Rental home going into foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

I have been renting my house since July of this year. I just found out that my landlord has not been making the payments on the house and it is going into foreclosure, she just told me about it and thinks that I should be out of the house by the end of this month! What are my rights? How long do...

Foreclosure on 3 investment properties. What's next? [ 6 Answers ]

In June, two of my investment condos went into foreclosure. The neighborhood went down... broken windows throughout the condo community, some condos burned in the inside... The amount on the loans were $110,000 for one of the condos, and $114,000 for the other condo. I also had an investment...

Avoiding Capital Gains/Rental properties [ 1 Answers ]

We own a rental property in the same town we live for 25 years. No Mortgage. T avoid Capital Gains, can my husband move into this house on paper for two years to claim it as his primary residence? What does he have to change? Period? Do we have to file sepeately? Any advice would be appreciated.

View more questions Search