Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vamosj Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2006, 09:16 AM
    Leaving puppy home alone problem!
    Well, so far my puppy has had no more accidents in the house, and sleeps in a crate at night now. When I say "Time for bed, go lay down, go to sleep" she automatically goes into her crate on her own and lays down and goes right to bed, and usually doesn't wake up to go outside until morning. She doesn't whine or anything all night. She seems comfortable in her crate. She is a Dane and is almost 3 months old now.
    My problem is that if I have to go outside the house for a while to run errands or go to the store, basically anything outside the home, she has accidents. I will take her outside and she always goes potty every time. I then will put her in her crate with a toy or two, and leave. There are times I am only gone 15-30 minutes and when I have returned, she poos in her crate, steps all over it and has it all over her and the crate! She has done that almost every time I have left her home. I dread coming home because I just know it will take me the next 20 minutes or so to clean the crate and give her a bath. I have even tried using a baby gate and either locking her in the kitchen or in the bathroom so that when she does have accidents, it is easier to clean up than cleaning the bars on the crate. Is there anything I am not doing I need to do? Is there a way to correct this problem? She does so great with everything else, the housetraining, crate training, listening, even leash training. Any suggestions?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2006, 10:17 AM
    Exactly what goes on in those furry little heads is hard to say. Could you be convinced she is doing it deliberately to protest being crated? If so, it certainly is effective isn't it? Many ''experts'' say no way. I think, along with several other posts, is part of her challenging you for who is top dog. As I have suggested, you need to have her in a good obedience program. Playing the role of top dog is the key to most behavior problems. Obedience training will not solve this problem overnight.

A wire rack in the bottom of the crate will help keep the puppy up out of urine and to a lessor extent stools. They are available with the crates, but a piece of closely spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place is cheaper. This reduces the mess, making the protest much less effective. The longer haired the puppy, the higher it needs to be. In warmer weather, you can just haul the crate out and hose everything off. When the puppy sees you coping with the situation, and you stand your ground, most of them give up and learn to relax, and that you will return. One more thing that may help is using a smaller crate, or blocking off part of a larger one so the puppy can't fouled one spot and retreat. That never seemed to matter for me, but some dogs are different.

The "shut the puppy in a safe room" is a fallacy. Very few houses even have a
    Safe room. How many of us have a room with a hard surfaced floor and nothing
    Else? Most rooms have electrical cords to chew if nothing else. In addition
    To destroying anything a bored puppy finds to chew, it may choke or have
    Intestinal blockage from the pieces. I had a friend that left her dog in a
    "safe" room. It ate a hole in the floor covering. The safe rooms fail to
    Give the dog the comfort of the enclosed space their instinct requires. Nor
    Do they restrict activity extending the time the dog can go without relieving
    Itself.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2006, 06:16 AM
    Hi, vamosj,
    It is really frustrating when this happens! If she is almost 3 months old now, hopefully it won't be much longer until she learns the crate is not for pooping.
    After 3 months with our puppy (house dog) many years ago, my wife and I finally were about to give up, when all of a sudden, she started going outside!
    Here is a site with some good information on housebreaking:
    http://www.leerburg.com/housebrk.htm

It is important to be persistent. When you start to take her outside, always ask "Do you need to go?". She will soon get the idea. Then, if she goes, always praise her with "Good girl", or something similar.
    Take her out before you need to leave the house, ask her the question, and keep doing it. Eventually, she will get the idea.
    The above suggestions are from the link I gave you. I do wish you and she the best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New puppy [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We just adopted a 5 week old puppy. The mother is a Bernese Mountain Dog, the father a Black Lab. We’ve had her for 4 days now and she’s doing fairly well with being house trained and spending time in a crate. My question is how best to handle full time jobs and a puppy. I realize that it’s...

Leaving Home [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had to have my 20-year old son get his own apt. I needed to open up a room for his older brother who was coming home from prison and had to stay with me. It is myself, my fiancé and 14-year old who live there and now my older son. But my 20-year old is angry about having to move. For...

Bringing a new puppy home [ 3 Answers ]

I bought an AKC chocolate lab last night brought her home tried to get her to go to the bathroom and she never did put her in the crate she sleep all night when I got up to go to work I took her outside and she still hasn't gone is this normal?

Leaving puppy at home alone [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new Chihuahua puppy who is only 5 1/2 weeks old. How do I leave him alone for a few hours while I am working or running errands? I have read to only leave a puppy alone for an hour or two at a time, but I have to be gone for longer periods sometimes. I take him to work with me right now...

Puppy Problem [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I purchaced a 6 week old male shihtzu three days ago. HE has a crate that is small enough that he can't poop in one place and sleep in another. The first night we got him, we were able to leave him in his crate for several hours while we were gone. No problems: he just went when...

View more questions Search