Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonib24 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2005, 02:40 PM
    Difference between windows 98 and win98SE?
    If there's a big difference, can I buy a win98SE disc and sub it for my nasty winME?
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 31, 2005, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jonib24
    If there's a big difference, can I buy a win98SE disc and sub it for my nasty winME?
    Firstly,well done for ditching Windows ME,the Microsoft version of the Simpsons.Doh!

Sorry fans :D

Secondly,Windows SE simply means that instead of searching all over the net for driver files,as you had to do with Windows 98,SE does this for you,with a little prompting from you of course.

It is also more accessible for all types of hardware configerations,where as 98 could get itself into a mess at times.

Yes,you should easily be able to buy a copy of Windows SE if you 'ask',or shop around.If a friend or family member gives you an old copy,don't forget to register with Microsoft once your PC is up and running.Why bother? Later this year Microsoft will make it compulsory for ALL Windows software to be proven legal,in order to continue to receive updates,add-on's and patches.

Just download the appropriate 'bootdisc' from a suitable site.Their are lots on the net.Then copy to a floppy disc. (See bottom of page)

As you can't simply go backwards from ME to SE whilst your hard drive has the simpsons... sorry,ME on it,you will have to format the drive first,by placing your boot floppy in drive A and follow all instructions.If you do already know all this,then apologies.

As a footnote ME should really have been called Windows Third Edition,as it was just SE in an overcoat.Unfortunutly,the coders at Redmond were hard at work on Windows 2000,the 'father' of XP,and had'nt got time to make a convincing job.That's my opinion anyway.

All the best,
    Nez.

Try http://www.webconverters.com/bootdiscs.htm for a SE boot disc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Os win98se [ 4 Answers ]

Help! Unable to start windows, keeps going to C prompt, I have lost my floppy rescue disk. Can someone help me with this?

Need help.. computer froze during upgrade from win98se to ME [ 13 Answers ]

I was upgrading my old computer from win98se to windows ME and it was doing good then at 66% of install it froze so I turned it off then back on and now all I get is the message "this version of windows only run on ms-dos 8.00." then I get C:\> what happened and please tell me how to fix it! It...

Win98se cab file needed [ 4 Answers ]

I'm installing a USB card in my PC, all drivers are loaded, but I seem to have lost or misplaced my Win98se disk to compleat the install, can anyone help the file is: Base5.cab If anyone can help I would be so grateful.

Dual booting winxp and win98se [ 3 Answers ]

?How do I dual boot with winxp and win98se on separate harddrives? Itried it before and ran good for 2 days then I lost my 98, had to reformat the drive, right now I'm using a switch and I'm about to build another machine tomorrow and don't want to use the switch anymore because of some errors in...

View more questions Search