Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GloriaLee Posts: 34, Reputation: 5

Aug 6, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paddypoochiepie
    My daughter actually did the computer work and she is the one who found TWU----we failed to do homework regarding the company, although I'm not sure that it would have been available at that time (this happened in 2003---before I learned how to operate a computer). We were unaware of the organzation CSIET (Home Page) who is a sort of watch-dog for these companies and who DOES NOT recognize TWU as a company to deal with. She was left stranded in Liverpool with no options and I had to travel over 24 hours straight to get to her and rescue her from this situation. We received no help from the US State Dept. or the British Embassy. We contacted the CA Attorney General, but got no help there, either. We did find a boarding school for her in England a couple of months later and she attended that for a semester. I would recommend this approach for other students---there are other horror stories out there regarding other exchange student companies, but TWU seems to be the worst!! The school was quite expensive, but the quality of the education there is quite remarkable. Contact me if you need the name of the school. I'm very new to this sort of communication, but I'm interested in any help that anyone can give us regarding filing a lawsuit. I spoke to a lawyer in CA in 2003 and he said that the time limit for filing is 4 years and were are only a few months away from that deadline. Maybe a class-action if we all get together somehow. Also, does anyone know a producer for a major news network that might be interested in putting these stories on-air? It might save other people from the same nightmares!!
    Wow!
    AliciaSt1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 9, 2007, 06:10 PM
    I was also in Liverpool in 2003 through TWU like I posted before I had a great host but TWU pretty much did nothing
    al3xx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 04:06 PM
    I'm supposed to be traveling with TWU, but after reading all of this, I am definitely having second thoughts. Can anybody recommend another program that will allow me to study abroad spring of this year?
    dvine17 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 10:39 PM
    Man am I glad I read all this. Luckily because I was actually considering going to japan under them. I very heavily thank everyone for the research put into this and am disgusted at how they (TWU) has treated everyone. I now know that I should check the BBB for everything just to be safe. Again I thank you and hope that you can get everything settled although I highly doubt TWU will consider such action as to "refund" or "compensate" even a penny of all of your money.
    strawberrycheesecakes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Reliability Report for
    Two Worlds United, Inc.
    The BBB reports on businesses, both accredited and non-accredited. If an organization is a BBB Accredited business, it is stated in this report.
    Name: Two Worlds United, Inc.
    Phone: (888) 696-8808
    Address: 503 E Jackson St Ste 25
    Tampa, FL 33602-4904
    Website: Student Exchange Program - TWO WORLDS UNITED Student Exchange Program
    Original Business Start Date: January 1996
    Local Start Date: January 2003
    Principal: Mr. Evaristo Prieto, President
    Customer Contact: Mr. Evaristo Prieto, President - (888) 696-8808 or [email protected]
    Entity: Corporation
    Incorporated: April 2004, FL
    TOB Classification: Student Exchange Programs
    BBB Accreditation: This organization is not a BBB Accredited business.

Nature Of Business

This company provides international, intercultural exchange student programs to youth, and promote international peace and understanding through intercultural exchanges.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record BBB Definition:

Satisfactory record - A business identified in our report as satisfactory has, based on BBB files, been in business for at least one year, and has voluntarily provided the BBB with all information requested about the business and its product or service. If any complaints have been received about the business, their number has not been considered by the BBB to be extreme, given the nature of the company's business and the volume of business transacted. Complaints are also generally typical of what might be expected for this type of business. A business stated to be satisfactory has not been the subject of any recent law enforcement actions concerning its dealings with the public. If the business has been contacted by the BBB about its advertising or selling claims, it has modified or substantiated its practices to the BBB's satisfaction. In addition, the BBB has a clear understanding of the company's business, and the business is not in an industry which has raised significant marketplace concerns.
    With the BBB. To have a Satisfactory Record BBB Definition:

Satisfactory Record - A business identified in our report as satisfactory has, based on BBB files, been in business for at least one year, and has voluntarily provided the BBB with all information requested about the business and its product or service. If any complaints have been received about the business, their number has not been considered by the BBB to be extreme, given the nature of the company's business and the volume of business transacted. Complaints are also generally typical of what might be expected for this type of business. A business stated to be satisfactory has not been the subject of any recent law enforcement actions concerning its dealings with the public. If the business has been contacted by the BBB about its advertising or selling claims, it has modified or substantiated its practices to the BBB's satisfaction. In addition, the BBB has a clear understanding of the company's business, and the business is not in an industry which has raised significant marketplace concerns.
    With the BBB, a company must be in business for at least 12 months, properly and promptly address matters referred to it by the BBB, and be free from an unusual volume or pattern BBB Definition:

Pattern - More than 2 complaints involving the same allegations usually within 12 months that are significant in relation to the company's size and volume of business.
    Of complaints and law enforcement action involving its marketplace conduct. In addition, the BBB must have a clear understanding of the company's business and no concerns about its industry.

When considering complaint information, please take into account the company's size and volume of transactions, and understand that the nature of complaints and a firm's responses to them are often more important than the number of complaints.

The BBB processed a total of 9 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period.Of the total of 9 complaints closed in 36 months, 1 was closed in the last year.

Contract Issues BBB Definition:

Contract Issues - Claim of alleged failure to honor contract or agreement, work performed without authorization, or invalid contract.

Administratively Closed BBB Definition:

Administratively Closed - The BBB determined that the complaint could not be satisfactorily settled using standard methods of voluntary dispute resolution

1 - BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

Service Issues BBB Definition:

Service Issues - Claims of alleged delay in completing service, failure to provide promised service, inferior quality of provided service, or damaged merchandise as a result of delivery service.

Resolved BBB Definition:

Resolved - The company resolved the complaint issues.

3 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
    Administratively Closed BBB Definition:

Administratively Closed - The BBB determined that the complaint could not be satisfactorily settled using standard methods of voluntary dispute resolution

1 - BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

Customer Service Issues BBB Definition:

Service Issues - Claims of alleged delay in completing service, failure to provide promised service, inferior quality of provided service, or damaged merchandise as a result of delivery service.
    BBB Definition:

Customer Service Issues - Claims alleging unsatisfactory customer service, including personnel's failure to provide assistance in a timely manner, failure to address or respond to customer dissatisfaction, unavailability for customer support, and/or inappropriate behavior or attitude exhibited by company staff.

Resolved BBB Definition:

1 - Company resolved BBB Definition:

The complaint issues. The consumer acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.
    1 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.

Refund or Exchange Issues BBB Definition:

Refund or Exchange Issues - Claim of alleged failure to honor company policy or verbal commitment to provide refunds, exchanges, or credit for products or services.

Resolved BBB Definition:

1 - Company resolved BBB Definition:

The complaint issues. The consumer acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.
    1 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.

Company Management

Additional company management personnel include:

Mr. Richard Shaw
    Mr. Carlos Diez - Vice President
    Ms. Paula Alexandre - Secretary

Report as of February 6, 2008
    Copyright© 2008 BBB®, Inc.

If you choose to do business with this business, please let the company know that you contacted the BBB for a report BBB Definition:

Report - A summary of activity reflected in a company's BBB file. Includes basic business background, BBB Accreditation information, and BBB complaint activity over the previous three years. Also reports may include any known government actions, advertising issues or other information that results from activity conducted by the BBB.

BBB reports may not be reproduced for sales or promotional purposes.

The information in this report has either been provided by the company or has been compiled by the BBB from other reliable sources.

As a matter of policy, the BBB does not endorse any product, service or company. BBB reports generally cover a three-year reporting period, and are provided solely to assist you in exercising your own best judgment. Information contained in this report is believed reliable but not guaranteed as to accuracy. Reports are subject to change at any time.
    josefo30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2008, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joshualite View Post
    How dare you try and say that the TWU program is a rip-off. I've been going on these trips for three years now and I don't appreciate you trying to make other people think this program is horrible.

Not a lot of children get to do what I've been able to do. I've been to Australia twice, England and Ireland and this summer I will be traveling to France with TWU. Tell me, if the program is so horrible, why would so many children be interested in it every year, especially children like myself who choose to continue the program all throughout their high school years.

This program has truly made a big difference in my life and all your comments, which look like they are from the same person, are ridiculous and false. I and many other students that I know who have been in this program will back up this organization against SCAMMERS and EVIL people like YOU!!!!

Joshua - New Jersey
    U.S.A.

Hey Joshua, I don´t know what to do since I am very interested in TWU and I wanted to be part in the Australia summer program but I´m not convinced by what the people have written. Since you´ve already been in this program maybe you could help me. Also I am from Mexico do you know if I can still be part of this?
    Thanks, Jose
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Joshua hasn't posted here for about 2 years now, most likely because he was banned.
    josefo30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2008, 03:40 PM

Ok thanks a lot do you know if I can contact him anywhere else?
    pirategirl08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 11:24 PM

I am so glad I read this discussion. I was looking into using TWU as my study abroad program. Now I won't. Does anyone know of any legitimate study abroad programs to Europe?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2009, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pirategirl08 View Post
    I am so glad I read this discussion. I was looking into using TWU as my study abroad program. Now I won't. Does anyone know of any legitimate study abroad programs to Europe?

My sister and I went through Youth For Understanding. I know of a few who used American Field Service.

Are you looking at high school or college level? Your school counselor should have some resources as well, or if you have any exchange students at your school you could ask them. Many colleges/universities will offer study abroad programs that provide credits towards your degree.
    pirategirl08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2009, 08:26 PM

I am looking for a High school program. I am home schooled so I don't have school counselor. Lol Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into these.
    Payge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2009, 09:14 PM
    Hello!

My name is Payge and I am an exchange going to Argentina in August. I'm sorry that you all (or most, I didn't read through all 17 pages) got scammed by TWU. If you're still interested in an exchange program after all the trouble TWU put you through I would recommend Rotary International Youth Exchange. They are very legitamit (Rotary International is a worldwide organization) and the least expensive I know of. With Rotary you are guaranteed a counselor back at home and in your host country, a youth exchange officer (in both countries), three host families, and many, many Rotarians. I have not even left yet and I already am extremely well taken care of, have attended two orientations, and feel extremely safe with this program.

Please do not cast out exchanges in general because of your bad experiences with TWU, there are other, vastly more qualified programs that will not wrong you like TWU has.

Cultures-shocked.org is a good site for all exchange programs (not just Rotary) in general.

Thank you,
    Payge
    tgwithknobs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2009, 03:15 PM
    Hi I'm trying to find a good youth exchange program to england but I can't find any except two world united. PLEASE HELP! I also want one so that me and my friend are placed together and TWU has a buddy program. Is this a scam? :(
    MakiZushi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2009, 01:48 AM
    I went to Sweden with TWU in 2008-2009, and had an absolutely terrible experience. I was sexually molested, starved by my host family, severely neglected, verbally abused by my contact person and kicked out of school with NO warning after I got the flu and missed several weeks due to how ill I was. I called TWU's emergency help line repeatedly and was hung up on. I sent e-mails and begged for a new family and contact person and was ignored. Due to the starvation I now have hypothyroidism (causing me to gain a significant amount of weight, have low energy, and need prescription medicine), I have lingering night terrors almost a year later, and I've given up on the language that I was incredibly passionate about and studied for nine year prior to my exchange. I lost $15,000, and my BBB complaints were never responded to.

If you need an exchange company, I would highly recommend Youth For Understanding (who I went to Japan with), Rotary, or ASSE (who my friend went with to Finland, and had a wonderful time). Please, what ever you do, don't go with TWU for any reason whatsoever.
    deaddoll Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2009, 12:55 PM
    drbecker, you are really funny, not in an insultive way, but the way you used sacascism to expain your point. I cried tears as I read this. Anyway I'm thinking of doing the program, but I'm worried, and I have a small feeling that this may be a scam, I mean I don't undersatnd why they need 98 dollars, just for the frist appication and then "960!" for the other. If they really needed that money then what are they doing for us. They said you're have to pay for almost everything, so my question is, what are they paying for and that goes for you too Joshua. Convince me, who hasn't even given in my appication and money that I should sign up for this adventure.
    twudoessuck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2009, 02:07 PM
    Wow, I'm so thankful I found this thread. I have already submitted about 2000$ but haven't left yet. I am going to call and cancel ASAP. Will I get a refund?
    twudoessuck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 07:30 PM

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 07:46 PM

This is a 2 year old thread, for heavens sake let it die.

Why do new posters never check dates

I am closing this

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Seprate worlds! [ 2 Answers ]

Ok so I recintly switch schools... and well sorry for my lack of modisty but I am a good looking guy and I had a lot of friends at my old school. Now at my new school I have a few friends who are not really like popular but I still care for them a lot . I wouldint ditch them or anything. This is...

War of the Worlds [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I could find a timeline of all of the events in the book The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How to respond... [ 13 Answers ]

:confused: So, I posted a couple weeks ago, if that, about a relationship I was just getting out of. I was having a really hard time with deciding whether to give him another chance and decided that it would be a good idea to stay moved out and go from there. He has still been pursuing me (ie...

View more questions Search