Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 09:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    My faith for my salvation is in God's word and in my Saviour Jesus Christ, not in the men that God inspired.

Choose as you wish.
    Nor is mine "in men" . But do you have that absolute assurance that you have the fullness of faith only the Catholic Church is commissioned by Christ to offer? As WG said,"who sat around and were inspired to select the books that made it into the Bible"
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 09:13 PM
    My faith for my salvation is in God's word and in my Saviour Jesus Christ, not in the men that God inspired.

Choose as you wish.
    I'm not asking you to give up your faith in Jesus Christ. I'm just asking you who put together the canon as we know it today (sorta like asking what brand toothpaste do you use).
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 09:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post
    Nor is mine "in men" . But do you have that absolute assurance that you have the fullness of faith only the Catholic Church is commissioned by Christ to offer?
    Why would I put my faith in a denomination which is an institution of men founded by a Roman emperor 3 centuries after Christ?
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I'm not asking you to give up your faith in Jesus Christ. I'm just asking you who put together the canon as we know it today (sorta like asking what brand toothpaste do you use).
    Jesus is not a brand of toothpaste.

Apparently this is important to you, but not to me.
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 09:16 PM
    Why would I put my faith in a denomination which is an institution of men founded by a Roman emperor 3 centuries after Christ?
    Why would I put faith in your rendition of a Book that according to you was inspired by "an institution of men founded by a Roman emperor 3 centuries after Christ"?

At least you're good to form tonight; you haven't answered a single question. Is it because you don't have the answers. How about an easy one; where did the Bible come from?
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 09:18 PM
    Why would I put faith in your rendition of a Book that according to you was inspired by "an institution of men founded by a Roman emperor 3 centuries after Christ"?
    I would never suggest that you do.

I use the Bible.
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 09:21 PM
    I would never suggest that you do.

I use the Bible.
    My first question to protect the salvation of my eternal soul is "who authenticates it"? Where did it come from? My soul is important to me, I Deserve the answer - God doesn't secret himself away, He reveals Himself to all men – if he did we'd be Gnostic
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 09:23 PM
    Jesus is not a brand of toothpaste.
    You're really reaching. I didn't say that. I was indicating both are innocent questions.
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 09:44 PM
    My first question to protect the salvation of my eternal soul is "who authenticates it"? Where did it come from? My soul is important to me, I Deserve the answer - God doesn’t secret himself away, He reveals Himself to all men – if he did we’d be Gnostic
    He does reveal Himself. Can fallible man do better than an infinite God at authenticating the truth?
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 09:52 PM
    He does reveal Himself. Can fallible man do better than an infinite God at authenticating the truth?
    No, that's why God gave us an infallible Church.

A bit of wisdom, “Free thought begets free morals, or immorality- Restraint is thrown off and a free rein given to the passions. WHOEVER THINKS WHAT HE PLEASES WILL DO WHAT HE PLEASES. (sic)” Don Felix Sarda y Salvany, Liberalismo es Pecado

Interpret scripture without discipline and Scripture will come to mean what pleases you (JoeT ).

The people of Berea were “ more noble than those in Thessalonica, who received the word with all eagerness, daily searching the scriptures, whether these things were so.” Why, because the Thessalonica Jews rejected Paul's message outright using scripture. And how did they do it; they used 'sola Scriptura' ; they used the Old Testament. In other words, Paul was teaching God's revelationsby word of mouth and the Thessalonians were rejecting those very same revelations by Sola Scriptura.

The Bereans were open-minded or otherwise noble-minded, why because they listened to God's revelations first then went to Scripture to examine the worthiness of Paul's words. In short the Bereans were disciplined in their faith.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 10:11 PM
    Tom, et al:

Do you really advise people to adhere to 2 Thess 3:6 “in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother walking disorderly and not according to the tradition which they have received of us.” How are you to tell the difference between Catholic Tradition, which by the way, is the “Tradition” taught by Paul, from those of other Traditions? Are you then indorsing the Catholic Church when you tell your faithful to 'withdraw'? If you don't, then being a Sola Scripturist, how do you justify it? And if you don't indorce the Catholic Tradition, are you then indorsing the actions of the Thessalonians in their right to reject Paul's teaching with Sola Scriptura?

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 10:16 PM
    No, that's why God gave us an infallible Church.
    No denomination is infallible.

Interpret scripture without discipline and Scripture will come to mean what pleases you (JoeT ).
    Which is why scripture says that we are not to interpret it.
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 10:22 PM
    Which is why scripture says that we are not to interpret it.
    Well if you're not supposed to interpret it, how are you to come to Grow in Christ, then why did the Bereans first listen to Paul, then go to Scripture? Wasn't Paul's word good enough? Why did Paul say they were Nobel if in fact they weren't because they interpret Scripture?

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 10:24 PM
    Well if you're not supposed to interpret it, how are you to come to Grow in Christ, then why did the Bereans first listen to Paul, then go to Scripture? Wasn't Paul's word good enough? Why did Paul say they were Nobel if in fact they weren't because they interpret Scripture?

JoeT
    You still haven't answered any of my questions tonight. Do you not have answers to these questions Tom? There could be a good reason as to why.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 10:25 PM
    Tom, et al:
    Do you really advise people to adhere to 2 Thess 3:6 “in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother walking disorderly and not according to the tradition which they have received of us.”
    Scripture tells us that that tradition was written down.

How are you to tell the difference between Catholic Tradition, which by the way, is the “Tradition” taught by Paul, from those of other Traditions?
    Since your denomination did not exist at that time, no Paul's "tradition" was not that of yours or any denomination.
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 10:27 PM
    Where?

Since your denomination did not exist at that time, no Paul's "tradition" was not that of yours or any denomination.
    Since it was Catholic Tradition and you have none, how would you know?

JoeT
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 10:28 PM
    By the early church fathers.
    The early church evolved into the catholic church which evolved into the Roman Catholic Church which split into the Eastern and Western branches (Great Schism). The Catholic Church was the only Christian Church until Luther's time.
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 10:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    By the early church fathers.
    In scripture.
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 10:52 PM
    Well if you're not supposed to interpret it, how are you to come to Grow in Christ,
    By allowing the word of God to speak to you.

then why did the Bereans first listen to Paul, then go to Scripture?
    If you are right, scripture was even required because Paul would have been speaking "tradition" which would be equal to scripture.
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 08:29 AM
    By allowing the word of God to speak to you.

This response is circular.

If you are right, scripture was even required because Paul would have been speaking "tradition" which would be equal to scripture.
    Evaluating Tradition and Scripture as if they were two independent variables in an algorithm is simply gobbledygook.

Was Paul the first Pope? Wouldn't holding this, in a Bible-only view, be revisionist?

JoeT

P.S. P.S. would you like to discuss your on-line paper regarding Peter or Paul?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Standard of care vs standard of practice [ 3 Answers ]

In terms of medicine, what is the difference between the standard of care and the standard of practice?

Help with a scripture [ 10 Answers ]

I am pregnant and going to have a daughter. I haven't been a Christian for long, but I know in the Bible it talks about how women shouldn't cut their hair. Can someone help me find this scripture so I can explain to my husband why I do not wish to cut our daughters hair. ( he thinks its stupid.)

What standard score represents 1.5 and 2 standard deviations below mean? [ 1 Answers ]

What standard score represents 1.5 and 2 standard deviations below mean?

Scripture alone? [ 405 Answers ]

The Scriptures say that the Church is the Pillar and Ground of Truth (1 Tim 3:15) and that if we don't hear the Church (Matt 18:17) we should be treated as heathen. Yet some people say we should neglect the Church and listen to Scripture alone? Why, if doing so is to disobey Scripture?

View more questions Search