Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mishiree Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 07:51 PM
    Help with a scripture
    I am pregnant and going to have a daughter. I haven't been a Christian for long, but I know in the Bible it talks about how women shouldn't cut their hair. Can someone help me find this scripture so I can explain to my husband why I do not wish to cut our daughters hair. ( he thinks its stupid.)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2006, 04:34 AM
    Greetings, mishiree - and congratulations to you!

Regarding women's long hair, I've seen I Cor 11. Propriety in Worship referred to:

"5And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved. 6If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head."

"14Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. 16If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God."

Clearly there was an issue in the church at the time that Paul was addressing - but we are not given how long the hair should be. He speaks of a woman's shaven head (or hair "cut or shaved off") as a disgrace, but does not prohibit any cutting of it.

... so in short, most Christians do not read a Commandment or Doctrine here.

Let me leave you with this:

Matthew 22, The Greatest Commandment:
    "36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[b] 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[c] 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2006, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Greetings, mishiree - and congratulations to you !!

Regarding women's long hair, I've seen I Cor 11. Propriety in Worship referred to:

"5And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved. 6If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head."

"14Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. 16If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God."

Clearly there was an issue in the church at the time that Paul was addressing - but we are not given how long the hair should be. He speaks of a woman's shaven head (or hair "cut or shaved off") as a disgrace, but does not prohibit any cutting of it.

...so in short, most Christians do not read a Commandment or Doctrine here.

Let me leave you with this:

Matthew 22, The Greatest Commandment:
    "36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[b] 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[c] 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

I hope that helped, there are no scripture that requires people not to cut their hair. But it is why many ladies did and some still cover their head with a scarf when they go to church.

So basically you can not use the bible for trying to prove what you want on this one.

Also we are free from the Law of the bible and live in grace,

This is just an issue of hair style that you disagree and it would not incorrect to try to quote bible at him on this, he could have course just quote back to you about husband being the head of the household and the such.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2006, 06:21 AM
    Hi, Mishiree,
    I also offer my congratulations on having a baby!
    You have already received very good answers from two, on the Bible and women's hair cutting.
    Another consideration about cutting your daughter's hair is "time". I agree with your husband on having hair cuts, styling, etc, for your daughter. Long hair, that is "much longer hair" requires much time keeping it up. That would be something to think about later. I do wish you the best in your pregnancy, and hope all goes well.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Feb 2, 2006, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mishiree
    i am pregnant and going to have a daughter. I haven't been a Christian for long, but i know in the Bible it talks about how women shouldn't cut their hair. Can someone help me find this scripture so i can explain to my husband why i do not wish to cut our daughters hair. ( he thinks its stupid.)

Congratulations to you and your husband.

There is no requirement for Christian women to have either long or short, cut or uncut, shaven or unshaven hair. Paul's statement refers to custom and culture and not to a religious practice. He was advising them to follow the custom of the day.

Customs change and in the two thousand years since Paul most of the non-religious cultural obligations have been left behind. The most important two things about your daughter is that a) she is healthy and happy, and b) that you and your husband agree on whatever cours eof action regarding her you can agree together to follow.

Do not make your baby a bone of contention between the two of you an ddon't get hooked on the non-essesntial practices of custom where they interface with religion. They are a world apart.

M:)RGANITE
    homesell Posts: 244, Reputation: 43

Jun 3, 2009, 04:31 AM
    All the answers above were good answers. I just wanted to add that in Old Testament times, the culture and custom said short hair on women was a sign to let men know that they were dealing with a prostitute. This has nothing to do with today, as believing women have all lengths of hair or even baldness(But the baldness is generally covered up)
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mishiree View Post
    i am pregnant and going to have a daughter. I haven't been a Christian for long, but i know in the Bible it talks about how women shouldn't cut their hair. Can someone help me find this scripture so i can explain to my husband why i do not wish to cut our daughters hair. ( he thinks its stupid.)
    A wonderful blessing has come to you both from God. God puts HIS trust within the hands of both parents, to nourish and protect a new born baby girl. May you both example hearts of love and glory unto God by means of fruitful labor in raising this child.

As for your question in cutting hair, and the reason in scripture that notes it's importance, please let me offer a meaning for the metaphor used in woman's hair covering them. The bible speaks in metaphor, and I like to think of it as poetic meanings that give alternative meanings in the words, or to evoke emotional or sensual responses.

The scripture reference in I Corinthians 11 is speaking of the head of all men (11:3) as being Christ. The head meaning power and authority is Christ over all men. According to scripture man was given the authority to protect woman, and children. To watch over them, or as it would say cover them. KNowing that Christ is there in HIS power and strength to help man to do exactly as He has instructed them to do.

NOW.. if man covers his head with some means other then Christ, it is said to be a dishonor shown to God. Also in woman/female (hair used as metaphor) if they be uncovered/without Christ, it is an uncovered shame.

Both man and woman are instructed to be cover(holding to faith) in Christ, trusting in HIS power and strength to cover them, nourish them, and protect them.

Note the verse that says woman should have power on her head (11:10).. That power is Christ needed, because it is pointing to a period of time when the fallen angels that had done wickedness by using the beauty of women in lust. ( I Corinthians 11:10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on [her] head because of the angels. KJV)

IN the entire instruction of truth of this writting, the meaning of covering is Christ being over each. Of course always in prayer, it is becoming for a woman to have Christ over her head... This teaching goes back to (11:2) Now Paul praises you, that you remember what he taught of Christ in all things, and keep these teaching as Paul delivered to us.

Point of Fact:
    Hair actually is a woman's glory(her being female protected by male authority) This offered to her by God. NO head is covered by any other then Christ, if they want to be without shame.

Another good example is (Job 1:20) when he actually wanted to be naked as a baby, sheared from all evil and wickedness. Innocent and blessed by God as are new born babes at birth.

We NOW: have that IN CHRIST!
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Jun 4, 2009, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mishiree View Post
    It is stupid. Hair length has nothing to do with being a proper christian and also has nothing to do with winning God's favor. Listen to your husband and don't saddle that poor child with long scraggley split ended hair.
    ygshortround Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 09:02 AM

Sure! I'll tell you what could answer that question for you.. Sit down and watch the movie Zeitgeist, it explains all about the cutting of hair.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ygshortround View Post
    Sure!! I'll tell you what could answer that question for you ..Sit down and watch the movie Zeitgeist, it explains all about the cutting of hair.
    If I were her I'd only watch Zeitgeist with a more than healthy dose of skepticism.
    adam7gur Posts: 372, Reputation: 38

Jun 5, 2009, 03:52 AM

All I know is that a woman is not an unborn child or even a young girl.
    Let the children alone ( and I don't mean don't care about them ), they should teach us if only they could, their simplicity!
    Children are like gold, no matter what you do to them they will always be gold even if you put them through fire, they will remain gold.
    Children are covered from head to toe and all inside them with God's grace.
    I only wish we could be like children!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Five Crowns Of Scripture [ 3 Answers ]

"FIVE CROWNS OF SCRIPTURE" I referenced this subject in my previous post ("Partakers of Their Evil Deeds), thus I post the following. Please share your comments re these crowns. ===========. THERE IS NO CROWN GIVEN FOR SALVATION! "...IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD!" (1) The believer's sins...

View more questions Search