Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 10:34 PM

In reading some of the threads on this board I am convinced more than ever that religion, whatever form it takes, is dangerous to everyone and everything: your health, your mind, and the well-being of others. It's disgusting and appalling the things people believe and push on others.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Aug 21, 2009, 08:55 AM

Rom 1:18-22
    18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
    19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
    20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
    21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
    22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
    (KJV)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2009, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
    Can you explain that one please? How are invisible things seen?
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2009, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    ...religion, whatever form it takes, is dangerous to everyone and everything...
    I couldn't agree more...

However, whether "they" are usually speaking the truth. The problem is that they (and often the listeners) don't really understand the true meaning of what they are saying...
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2009, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    MollieB327,
    Thanks much for toy post on this.
    I agree that life created life and everything else.
    It was the author of life and existence that did the work.
    I believe He designed it to become what we see today.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    A few things here... not that I disagree with you, Fred, but for the purposes of a discussion like this, I don't see the value (especially in helping "non-believers" to become "believers") in summing it up as "yes, life created life."

And while we can argue how God defies all logic, no one will believe He does and still remain that saying "life created life" is simply not possible. The problem here, as I started before, is that this statements portrays that the word "life" means the same thing in both instances when, in fact, it cannot... and does not. The "life" possessed by God is not the same as "life" as we tend to perceive it today. That is why one would be left with questions like Mollie's: "Where did the original life come from?"

If we were to redefine "life" as it pertains to God (and us... but on a different level than we tend to assume), then we wouldn't be left with the redundancy of the original question.

Another thing is that, as poetic as it can be to those that understand it that way, I think a LOT of credibility is lost in helping others to understand or believe when we rely on clichés such as "It was the author of life and existence that did the work," and "I believe He designed it to become what we see today." Personally, I don't have mind them anymore... but as a lot of people are looking to faith for answers, they are painted a picture of this bearded guy in a robe floating around in the clouds, constructing the universe on his drafting table with a pencil and a ruler, zapping lightning bolts out of his finger, "speaking" to us daily, "watching" our every move, "listening" to our every thought...

I think the more we try to personify God, the less believable He becomes.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2009, 11:03 PM
    DrJ,
    It seems that many people picture God differently. The painting you posted is but one of them when the fact is that God is mostly spirit with the exception of the incarnated word in the form of Jesus Christ which took place about 2000 years ago.
    As far as forms of life are concerned I do believe that the life God first gave we humans was very much like His life. It is we who have changed it to be what life is today.
    Over the centuries we have polluted it more and more.
    That's the way I think about it.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the name of the universe we're in? [ 18 Answers ]

Has scientist given a name to the universe we're in? I've heard of something called Epsilon and Delta? Is that right? Delta?

Going to another universe [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible for us humans to travel into another universe differ then of our space-time universe? Will we like be distorted if another species from that universe see us? Can we see them? How will they look like? What about species from 4th dimension?

Across The Universe [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know the name to the song that he starts singing at the very biggening "is there anyone going to listen to my story, or about the girl who came to stay?" Here's the link to the trailer MySpaceTV: Across The Universe Trailer by Nugeman :) Thank you soooo much

Across the universe [ 5 Answers ]

Across The Universe - Official Site " Came out Yesterday in theaters i believe. OKAY. This movie was AMAZING. I fell in love with it. If it was a person I'd marry it. Yea, I guess you can say its a 2 hour music video but its just igjiogkhsdkj i love it!

The Universe [ 3 Answers ]

Is the Universe symmetrical? I know it's contantly expanding, but are all sides expanding at the same rate?

View more questions Search