Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 09:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria View Post
    members of the Church will be divinized, deified, because we will be sons in the Son, members of the body of Christ and are raised to a status higher than the angels because of our union with Christ.

We were not thus created.
    I think this is exactly right.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 09:49 PM
    Akoue.
    I agree.
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 09:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    Akoue.
    I agree.
    Fred
    Careful, Fred. Tom doesn't understand what we're talking about so you may get a dreaded "reddie" from him. Eek!
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 10:08 PM
    Akoue
    What's a dreaded "reddie"?
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 10:13 PM
    Akoue
    What's a dreaded "reddie"?
    Fred
    The little red disagree box that comes up when someone rates an answer and disagrees. It seems Tom likes to give them out not for factually incorrect responses--as the site rules stipulate--but when he just doesn't like what someone says.

I keep forgetting that some people expect to be literally wearing crowns in heaven. They have no deep understanding, of the sort that you and De Maria and Joe have been discussing (here and on the Romans thread), of what union with God really means. The Greek word for this, "theosis", is translated "divinized" or "deified"--i.e. to become one with the Divine nature.
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 10:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria View Post
    members of the Church will be divinized, deified, because we will be sons in the Son, members of the body of Christ and are raised to a status higher than the angels because of our union with Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Akoue View Post
    I think this is exactly right.
    Not that anybody asked, but I can go along with this – even with the word 'divinized.' However, if stated as a formula, I’d feel compliant with the Magisterium if it read just slightly different: members of the Church will be divinized, deified, because we will be adopted sons of God, members of the body of Christ and are raised to a status higher than the angels because of our union with Christ.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 10:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post
    Not that anybody asked, but I can go along with this – even with the word 'divinized.' However, if stated as a formula, I’d feel compliant with the Magisterium if it read just slightly different: members of the Church will be divinized, deified, because we will be adopted sons of God, members of the body of Christ and are raised to a status higher than the angels because of our union with Christ.

JoeT
    Fair enough. But note that we are already adopted sons and daughters of God. This is one of the reasons I think that what awaits is more intimate than adopted sonship. It is a thoroughgoing oneness with God's nature. Hence talk of divinization or deification: It is incorporation into the Divine.

What do you think? Am I missing the point of your reservations? (I fear I may be.)
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 10:44 PM
    Akoue,
    Thanks for the reddie information.
    I do think that to be "theosis" with God is to become one with Him as Jesus so prayed.
    I also thank Rickj for his help to me.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 10:45 PM

Here's something that's related to what we're discussing in a general way and which I didn't get the chance to bring up on the Romans thread: The Transfiguration. Here we have another great example of the union of the divine and the human (of course the Incarnation itself gives us that). But at the Transfiguration, the Divine shone through the human.

Any thoughts about what we are supposed to learn from that?
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 10:48 PM
    Akoue,
    I do think that to be "theosis" with God is to become one with Him as Jesus so prayed.
    That's a great point, Fred. To become one "as you and I are one". And this gets to the question about angels as well, because, as I understand it, the union promised and vouchesafed by Christ is a union that the angels themselves don't enjoy. So while our nature is inferior to that of the angels in the order of creation, we are to receive a union that surpasses their own intimacy with God. Whether in the end they too will enjoy this union I have no idea.
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 10:51 PM
    Fair enough. But note that we are already adopted sons and daughters of God. This is one of the reasons why I think that what awaits is more intimate than adopted sonship. It is a thoroughgoing oneness with God's nature. Hence talk of divinization or deification: It is incorporation into the Divine.

What do you think? Am I missing the point of your reservations? (I fear I may be.)
    Well yeah you're missing it, but probably only because I haven't actually voiced it yet. I've always held that the promise of redemption meant that we would be resurrected as men. And as such, men have both body and soul. Consequently, when drawn to heaven, we would be whole beings; such beings can't be incorporated into another. I can understand corporation as an allegorical statement; but not in a literal physical sense. And, then again maybe I'm just hung up on the physics of it all.

Scripture suggests resurrection similar to Christ's who was risen both body and soul.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 10:57 PM
    Well yeah you’re missing it, but probably only because I haven’t actually voiced it yet. I’ve always held that the promise of redemption meant that we would be resurrected as men. And as such, men have both body and soul. Consequently, when drawn to heaven, we would be whole beings; such beings can’t be incorporated into another. I can understand corporation allegorical statement; but not in a literal physical sense. And, then again maybe I’m just hung up on the physics of it all.

JoeT
    I totally get where you're coming from. You're right, resurrection of the body means that theosis won't be just a spiritual union of souls but one of bodies as well. Here's my one bit of insight on that--although I'm not sure how insightful it really is: We aren't unified with other bodies and then unified with God. Our union with others comes by way of our union with God. In other words, God draws each of us into his nature and in this way we each become one with him and with others. So it has to be a union that isn't the total annihilation of differentiation. But this makes sense, since the Father was one with Jesus the man. There was unity there, but also differentiation.

BTW, when I say it makes sense, I don't mean to suggest that I completely understand it. Only that we know it is possible.

What do you think? Could it be the fumes from the bathroom repair killing my few functioning brain cells, or does this seem like it's at least pointing in the right direction?
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 10:57 PM
    Akoue.
    Your point about the Transfiguration is well taken.
    And yes I do believe that we were created "a little less than the angels" but that will change when we become one with God in heaven.
    We will be still human to some extent but also in glorified bodies as Jesus had after he rose from the dead and ascended into the "clouds" of heaven.
    As I understand it back in the days of those who wrote Holy Scripture the clouds were the beginnings or entry into heaven.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 11:14 PM
    I totally get where you're coming from. You're right, resurrection of the body means that theosis won't be just a spiritual union of souls but one of bodies as well. Here's my one bit of insight on that--although I'm not sure how insightful it really is: We aren't unified with other bodies and then unified with God. Our union with others comes by way of our union with God. In other words, God draws each of us into his nature and in this way we each become one with him and with others. So it has to be a union that isn't the total annihilation of differentiation. But this makes sense, since the Father was one with Jesus the man. There was unity there, but also differentiation.

BTW, when I say it makes sense, I don't mean to suggest that I completely understand it. Only that we know it is possible.

What do you think? Could it be the fumes from the bathroom repair killing my few functioning brain cells, or does this seem like it's at least pointing in the right direction?

My head hurts!

Seriously, I've got to hit the sack. I'll think this over. Don't take me wrong, I conceptualize these things in a way I can visualize, idealize or calculate – I just 'work' in this way. However, as all things are possible with God, I wouldn't be at all surprised, when I walk to the Pearly Gates, in my body, ring the bell only to be told that bodies have gone out of style. It's the JoeT luck!

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 11:16 PM
    My head hurts!

Seriously, I’ve got to hit the sack. I’ll think this over. Don’t take me wrong, I conceptualize these things in a way I can visualize, idealize or calculate – I just 'work' in this way. However, as all things are possible with God, I wouldn’t be at all surprised, when I walk to the Pearly Gates, in my body, ring the bell and was told that bodies have gone out of style. It’s the JoeT luck!

JoeT
    Sweet dreams. I hope I don't give you nightmares.

Or... after the plumbing cracks... Yeah, I kind of do hope I give you nightmares!
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 11:19 PM
    Sweet dreams. I hope I don't give you nightmares.

Or... after the plumbing cracks... Yeah, I kind of do hope I give you nightmares!
    Well, If I dream about how good a plumber you are - it'll forsure be a nightmare!! Water on the floor... broken faucets... damaged walls… waterlogged foundations…

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 11:23 PM
    Well, If I dream about how good a plumber you are - it'll forsure be a nightmare!!! Water on the floor... broken faucets...damaged walls… waterlogged foundations…

JoeT
    Hey, I'm still here am I not? That's got to count for something.

Just don't ask me how many lives I shaved off the cats. I think the dog was rooting for a solid eight apiece.
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2009, 12:11 AM
    Joe and Akoue.
    You guys are hilarious.
    It's also my bed time but...
    I do want to mention that Akoue's thoughts on our glorified bodies becoming one with God does make sense to me.
    One in spirit and one in body as Jesus is with the Father and the Holy Spirit seems to be the example Jesus has set for us.
    Peace and kindness and good night with sweet dreams of heaven,
    Fred
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Mar 4, 2009, 05:56 AM
    Akoue,
    I also thank Rickj for his help to me.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Fred,
    Do you remember the conversation we had about a month ago?

NOW, I understand why you have never "rated" any posts. Instead, you just started new a
    Post that said I agree or disagree.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2009, 07:32 AM
    The little red disagree box that comes up when someone rates an answer and disagrees. It seems Tom likes to give them out not for factually incorrect responses--as the site rules stipulate--but when he just doesn't like what someone says.
    I give them out for factually incorrect responses, not like the one that you gave me. Divinization means to deify, or to make men gods or God (as the CCC says).

This is, of course, not scriptural.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Strawman Redemption [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, How does one go about redeeming his strawman? Does anyone have the details on how to capture him by recording it's name through your Secretary of State. What exactly does this accomplish? Ar there any good sites someone can refer me to that provide detailed info. On how to maneuver...

B&W Coupon Redemption [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a collector interested in buying about 3,000 coupons?

E-rewards redemption [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how the e-rewards for on-line surveys works ? I am retired by a disability and take a lot of these surveys. I have nearly $ 100 in e-rewards accumulated, but have no clue as to how to redeem these and what I can get. I know Borders is affiliated and Omaha Steaks. I really like to...

View more questions Search