Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frangipanis View Post
    That's so cool, Clough! I have no idea how you did it, but it looks great.

And I had actually read your exchange before with the young musical/poetic girl on the other thread. She's enjoy it, isn't she :)
    Hi and thanks, frangipanis!

In case you're interested in how I produced the images here, below is the process that I used.

First, what I did was to take a "picture" of what was on my screen using a free screen capture utility. The one that I use is PrintKey 2000. PrintKey 2000 - Google Search I'm not sure that it's available anymore. However, there are a number of other ones available that are also free. Free Screen Capture Utilities - Google Search

Then I used the free version of Irfanview to view and resize what I had captured.

Then, I used Pixia, which is also free, to draw on the image, saved it in a file and then did the upload thing to this website.

The girl on the other thread did seem to be enjoying what we were doing. I do hope that she returns!
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2008, 09:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi and thanks, frangipanis!

In case you're interested in how I produced the images here, below is the process that I used.

First, what I did was to take a "picture" of what was on my screen using a free screen capture utility. The one that I use is PrintKey 2000. PrintKey 2000 - Google Search I'm not sure that it's available anymore. However, there are a number of other ones available that are also free. Free Screen Capture Utilities - Google Search

Then I used the free version of Irfanview to view and resize what I had captured.

Then, I used Pixia, which is also free, to draw on the image, saved it in a file and then did the upload thing to this website.

The girl on the other thread did seem to be enjoying what we were doing. I do hope that she returns!

Hi Clough, I hadn't realised you responded to my last answer. I'll have a go at doing that one day, as it looks like fun. Sammy sure did enjoy your music sessions, Clough :)

I've prepared the laundry walls and I'm about to get started on painting the ceiling. There's a cupboard above the water heater with only about a 10cm gap between the top of the cupboard and ceiling. I bought a flat paint pad thing that attaches to a stick, so will give that a go. Any tips on doing this properly?

Do you also happen to have any suggestions about how to paint behind the water heater, Clough? My partner will be looking at it tomorrow to see if it can be moved, although we're not sure it should be. The hardware store salesperson suggested putting masking tape around the edges where the water heater meets the wall and painting in as close as possible. Hmmm...

I now have to get rid of a spider that made it's home in the corner of the ceiling... eessshk.
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2008, 09:29 PM

By the way, I bought a sample of Dulux 'silken blue' paint to try on the skirting boards. I'm wanting something very pale, so might need to keep adding white until I get the shade I want, then match it up in the store.
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2008, 02:29 AM

Hi, frangipanis!

I'm sorry for my late response! I've been busy with gearing up my business for the upcoming holidays.

Sam did seem to enjoy what we were doing, but now evidently is feeling better about herself by being around her friends. May we'll continue our project someday...

If what you have is a flat painting pad that has the little rollers on it for painting right up against the ceiling, they can work quite well! However, you still might need to do some touch-ups with small, flat artist's brush.

The water heater can most likely be moved and that would be the ideal thing to do. If that's not possible, then a really long-handled brush designed for trim should help. 1&1/2" to 2" wide should work. A 1" might even work the best.

All this time that we've been discussing your project, I've forgotten to mention that when painting areas like a bathroom or laundry, it's important to be using paint products that are mildew resistant.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2008, 04:53 AM
    Hi, frangipanis!

I'm sorry for my late response! I've been busy with gearing up my business for the upcoming holidays.

Sam did seem to enjoy what we were doing, but now evidently is feeling better about herself by being around her friends. May we'll continue our project someday...

If what you have is a flat painting pad that has the little rollers on it for painting right up against the ceiling, they can work quite well! However, you still might need to do some touch-ups with small, flat artist's brush.

The water heater can most likely be moved and that would be the ideal thing to do. If that's not possible, then a really long-handled brush designed for trim should help. 1&1/2" to 2" wide should work. A 1" might even work the best.

All this time that we've been discussing your project, I've forgotten to mention that when painting areas like a bathroom or laundry, it's important to be using paint products that are mildew resistant.

Thanks!
    No problem, Clough. I hope your business over the holidays does well from your efforts.

Sam seemed more confident having picked up a some musical knowledge from you, and it was nice to see she wants to spend time with her friends again.

The flat painting pad worked well, Clough, and the ceiling is now finished. We didn't get around to moving the water heater today... it's still going to be a confined space to work in, so a long-handled brush will probably be needed. I'll pick up a 1" brush as you suggest.

I used Dulux Aquanamel (high gloss water-based enamel) for the bathroom and will be using it on the laundry walls. It doesn't actually say it's mildew resistant, although it says it's ideal for bathrooms... now you mention it, I hope it is.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to finish the laundry by the end of next weekend.

Thanks again for all the great advice and taking an interest in my renovation project, Clough. Hope you have an enjoyable week! Great avatar by the way :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 07:14 AM

The laundry is just about finished, Clough. I just need to put a second coat on one wall - the flat-pad brush works best around the back of the water heater, I found. It's been the fiddliest room to paint, even though it's quite small. Looks great though. Nice and bright, and freshhh.

I also test painted the skirting boards tonight - first in pale blue, that looked awful, then in 'golden jasmine'.

With a white ceiling, 'ocean pearl' (eggshell white) on the walls and 'golden jasmine' on the skirting boards, it looks gorgeous... it really does. You could readily recommend that colour combination to your clients, Clough.

Hope

I can't wait to paint the hallway skirting boards and door frames next weekend.

Ciao for now Clough, and hope you have a great week.
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2008, 12:02 PM

Thanks for letting me know how things have been going, frangipanis! I haven't been on the site very much over the past week because of computer problems.

I checked out what was on that site. It is very beautiful!

I hope that you're doing great!

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 04:50 PM

Christmas eve for us Clough.. thought you might like this:

Angels singing Christmas carols
    YouTube - Angels singing Christmas Carols
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 06:06 PM

Thanks, frangipanis!

Now that I'm house and dog sitting for some people this week, I can actually listen to and view things like that with no problem because I'm using a computer that has a high speed connection.

Thanks for posting the link to that. What's on it is beautiful and that was very sweet of you to do that.

May you have a very wonderful and blessed Christmas, frangipanis!
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2008, 09:05 PM

You're welcome, Clough. House and dog sitting sounds fun... enjoy the high-speed connection. I'll hopefully have some photos of where I'm up to with the painting in a few days along with a photo of a framed drawing I did for my son for Christmas.

And you too, wishing you a Christmas filled with Peace and Happiness.
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2008, 04:07 AM

I do look forward to the photos!

If you would like to see some photos of interior resoration of a home that I've done or that which I've done on pianos, please let me know.

I do miss the art thing that a number of us had going awhile back...

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2008, 03:10 AM
    I do look forward to the photos!

If you would like to see some photos of interior resoration of a home that I've done or that which I've done on pianos, please let me know.

I do miss the art thing that a number of us had going awhile back...

Thanks!

Here's a photo of the picture I did for my son, Clough. The kanji on the left is 'love' and one on the right is 'honour'. The picture is a copy of something my son liked... he really likes the picture. I'm looking forward to seeing them on his wall.

The photo of the hallway I took looks so ordinary -- just like a hallway without the skirting boards painted -- that I haven't included it here.

I would very much enjoy seeing your photos, Clough.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Dec 25, 2008, 03:50 AM

Thanks, frangipanis!

I'll post pictures sometime in the near future after I've completed my dog and house sitting job. Am not on my own computer right now, so don't have access to my images that I might post.

It also would probably best that I start a new thread concerning that because after all, this thread is supposed to be about your interior home painting project.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2008, 04:02 PM

Here's the hallway before starting on the skirting boards today. I've had a test run painting skirting boards to the bathroom etc that got a little botched through masking tape peeling off paint in patches and a couple of blotches of paint making it on the wall. I'll post the after shots once it's finished.

It seems to take forever painting skirting boards... much more time consuming and fiddly than doing the walls.

I'm reluctant to get rid of the electric heater built into the wall as it could be needed one day - we have ducted heating that has a limited life (could suddenly conk out) and already years beyond how long it would normally last. On the other hand, maybe it should go since it looks untidy and has never been used.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Here are the just about finished skirting boards, Clough. Doors are next.

Not sure why the walls came out looking yellowish when they're white.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a hallway require 2 cold air returns? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a bungalow style home. On the main floor, there is a hallway with 2 cold air returns located directly across from each other at floor level. I'm doing some renovations and I want to know if I can close one off or do I require both? Note - these are the only two cold air returns.

Bought two colour kits but accidentally switced colour releasers, does that matter? [ 1 Answers ]

I have dark brown to black hair, I just dyed hoping to get a lighter brown. My mistake was that I bought two colours,1) meduim golden brown and2) light brown, then I accidentally used the medium brown colour with the light brown colour releaser. I barely notice a difference. Did switching the...

Perplexing hallway leak [ 7 Answers ]

I live in a one-story ranch with the laundry hookups in the bathroom adjacent to the main hallway. On the opposite side of the hallway there is dampness in the carpet. This has been going on for some time and I'd like to have the carpet in the entire house replaced but not until I repair whatever...

Choosing Hair Colour! [ 1 Answers ]

Okay well here goes.. I want to dye my hair a different colour for going back to school! I just can;'t decide on what to do. Right now my hair is black with red highlights that are fading and I want to dye my hair a medium golden brown colour? I have a medium skin tone.. does that colour seem like...

Problem with Hallway Light Switches [ 3 Answers ]

I want to replace my hall lights, from up and down toggles switches to the flat plate toggle. I have a switch at each end of the hallway. I purchased a Leviton switch that has 2 connectors and a green ground. The switches in my existing boxes have black, white, red and a ground. What do I need to...

View more questions Search