Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 04:45 PM
    As of now hun, you have nothing to worry about. Nothing at all. If your doctor is not concerned neither should you be. Just remember that all this stress and worry does affect the baby.

Quote Originally Posted by davejag
    Well I was going to put it in a bassinet beside my bed for the first little while, but your right the kid has to learn.
    If you prefer the bassinet by the bed, by all means go for it if it makes you feel more comfortable. Remember, I'm experienced, I have 4 kids, the oldest is 21 and the youngest just turned 6. Plus, I work in Labor & Delivery.
    davejag Posts: 308, Reputation: 5

Mar 15, 2008, 04:47 PM
    Yah I figured I was to stressed I just called the spa and I am going in tomorrow for some fun, plus I guess I do have a nanny that helps out.
    Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Oh, goodness girl, you're going to a spa and you have a Nanny... what do you have to worry about? LOL

You'll be a GREAT mommy, really you will. It is so natural to be apprehensive before the baby gets here, it's normal, we all go through it. I went through it with all 4 pregnancies.

You'll do great Mom, really you will.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2008, 04:58 PM
    So how does a doctor know how big the baby is or how much it weighs? You said big baby syndrome how does that come about? As well why did my doctor just seem so concerned about if the baby was breech or not, I mean after hearing everyone answers there is no concern yet right?
    There are a few ways to determine an idea of size. A scan at about 20 weeks or so is probably the most accurate... later in the pregnancy it becomes less so as babies will put on weight at varying speed. Many doctors/midwives do a better job just by palpation, or feeling the baby. Fundal height measurements are used by some, but not very accurate as there are a number of factors that can play a role... besides possibly baby's size, length of mother's torso, previous pregnancies, amount of amniotic fluid when it's done, location of the placenta, who's doing the measurement and where they are measuring from, etc.. Some don't even do them anymore for that reason.
    In some ways it is unfortunate that mothers are given an estimated weight... and that is truly what it is... an estimation. Unless there is a true concern about baby's growth... either unusually small or large for dates, it often causes unnecessary worry and unnecessary inductions.
    It is rare a woman will grow a baby larger than what she can give birth to... can it happen? Sure... but it is not the norm. And you can't tell by just looking at someone the size of baby they could birth. Petite women have been known to have 10 pounders without difficulty, where a woman that may look like she has "birthing hips" may have unusually narrow pelvic measurements (something your doctor would note in an early exam) and have trouble with a baby over 7 pounds. If someone is suspecting a good sized baby there are a few things to consider... positions used in labor, and certainly for second stage, or pushing. Some positions are better for larger babies than others. Deciding to be induced when the baby is still high up and the cervix is not favorable when there is not a clear medical indication for it. The use of an epidural can have an effect on baby and mother being able to get into optimum positions... best if used, if someone decides to, only once labor is progressing well.
    Big baby syndrome is when an induction is suggested simply due to the suspected size of baby. Again, unless a doctor has already determined that pelvic measurements are unusual, and would prohibit the birth of a good sized baby, or baby is unusually large, there is simply no way to tell how big is too big for any given mother.
    Your doctor may not be as concerned as he appeared if you aren't going back for two weeks to check again. If he was very concerned he could suggest a scan. He may just have been a bit frustrated perhaps that he couldn't determine it at that time as it may be a part of his regular routine to note it at this time. It is not uncommon for them not to be able to tell.

Well I was going to put it in a bassinet beside my bed for the first little while, but your right the kid has to learn.
    Personal question davejag... are you thinking about breastfeeding? If so, you may want to consider having baby with you in the early weeks at least. Either way, it can help to pick up on baby's hunger cues early on if they are close by. See how it goes... some moms find they sleep better knowing baby is close by and they can get to them quickly... some find they hear every little sound and it causes them to not get much sleep at all, at least until they adjust to the many different squeaks and sighs newborns make... :)

Mar 15, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Oh, goodness girl, you're going to a spa and you have a Nanny....what do you have to worry about? LOL

You'll be a GREAT mommy, really you will. It is so natural to be apprehensive before the baby gets here, it's normal, we all go through it. I went through it with all 4 pregnancies.

You'll do great Mom, really you will.

Thanks J_9 that means a lot when you says I am going to be a great mom. Yes I know I am a bit spoiled LOL it all started with the husband of mine, I am very lucky he has made up for the poor childhood I had. It does mean a lot to me to have a support group like this one, because I don't have parents to turn to.

Mar 15, 2008, 05:17 PM
    I will try to breastfeed if I can, I have already told my husband and the Nanny that. I do think my doctor is just a bit frustrated with my pregnancy just because nothing has gone to plan.
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2008, 05:22 PM
    I will try to breastfeed if I can, I have already told my husband and the Nanny that. I do think my doctor is just a bit frustrated with my pregnancy just because nothing has gone to plan.
    I would recommend keeping baby close by then... you will be nursing quite often in the first few weeks to build supply and establish breastfeeding for both you and baby. Breastfed babies will feed more often often than most formula fed babies in the beginning as breastmilk is much easier for them to digest and there is very little waste. Frequent feeds in the beginning are important for both of you.
    Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Oh, yes, and breastfeeding will get you back to your pre-pregnant size much quicker.

Hun, many pregnancies don't go as planned. I have followed yours since the first post about it.

You're going to do great, really.

Mar 15, 2008, 05:26 PM
    I have not gotten any formula because I was going to breastfed but I guess I should just in case. How difficult is it to begin breastfeeding? As well how many dipers should I buy in advanced my Nanny says two cases at least.

Mar 15, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Sorry I have so many questions it just really helps getting answers
    Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 05:47 PM
    It's okay to have questions.

Diapers, well use your best judgment. Babies grow fast. So you don't want diapers hanging around that you can't use because baby has grown out of them.

As for formula... wait for now. If breastfeeding works, you won't need it. If it doesn't work for you, your pediatrician will recommend what kind to get for your baby. There are a multitude of formulas on the market, you want the right one for your baby.

As for breastfeeding, the trick is in getting the baby to latch on properly. It's easier to show you than to describe it in writing. Your hospital should have a lactation counselor available who will answer all your questions and sit there with you while you learn to feed.

Oh, yeah, is baby a boy or girl? Any names picked out yet?
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2008, 05:49 PM
    I have not gotten any formula because I was going to breastfed but I guess I should just in case. How difficult is it to begin breastfeeding? As well how many dipers should I buy in advanced my Nanny says two cases at least.
    Two schools of thought on having formula at the ready. If you would feel more comfortable having it in the house, "just in case", go ahead. Some feel it may be too tempting to give into using it if breastfeeding is challenging at first. Sometimes fathers, being well intentioned, want to help if baby is upset and mom is upset and they may push the idea of "just give 'em a bottle this time" in hopes of helping everyone be happy. Unfortuantely you don't know if your baby will be one who doesn't care where they get their meal from, and will go from breast to bottle without an issue, or if your baby will easily take the bottle, but balk at going back to the breast because now they have to work harder for their meal.
    Nursing your baby may go very well... some are what I call "barracuda babies"... they latch right on and know exactly what to do... some take awhile to get the hang of it. Most newborns are ready to nurse right after birth and should be given the opportunity as soon as possible. Most problems that arise early on can be remedied pretty easily with good support... and it is important to get that help as soon as you have any concerns... before you get to the point of deciding it just isn't working for you.
    Find out what sort of support on breastfeeding is available where you will be giving birth. Some are more knowledgeable than others. It doesn't hurt to hear different ideas and suggestions because what works for one person may not work for someone else. Part of it is finding out what works for you.
    Be careful not to compare your breastfed baby with a friend's or family member's formula fed baby. Their eating and sleeping patterns, as well as weight gain, will often be different.
    If anyone asks what you want or need for baby, offer your ideas, and throw in a request for a pack of diapers as well... :) If you find your baby doesn't stay in newborn sizes very long, some don't, unopened packs can be returned for larger sizes. Rough guide to go by... about 8-10 a day after the first few days (better to have too many than not enough).

Mar 15, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    It's okay to have questions.

Diapers, well use your best judgment. Babies grow fast. So you don't want diapers hanging around that you can't use because baby has grown out of them.

As for formula....wait for now. If breastfeeding works, you won't need it. If it doesn't work for you, your pediatrician will recommend what kind to get for your baby. There are a multitude of formulas on the market, you want the right one for your baby.

As for breastfeeding, the trick is in getting the baby to latch on properly. It's easier to show you than to describe it in writing. Your hospital should have a lactation counselor available who will answer all your questions and sit there with you while you learn to feed.

Oh, yeah, is baby a boy or girl? Any names picked out yet?
    Thanks for the great answers, no we don't know what it is going to be because they won't tell you in BC hospitals you have to go to a clinic to find out.
    As for names we have a few we like

I found a really neat name the other day for a girl Lena-marie or Ethan for a boy
    Lilly for a girl or Noah for a boy

Mar 15, 2008, 05:57 PM
    Be careful not to compare your breastfed baby with a friend's or family member's formula fed baby. Their eating and sleeping patterns, as well as weight gain, will often be different.
    If anyone asks what you want or need for baby, offer your ideas, and throw in a request for a pack of diapers as well... :) If you find your baby doesn't stay in newborn sizes very long, some don't, unopened packs can be returned for larger sizes. Rough guide to go by... about 8-10 a day after the first few days (better to have too many than not enough).[/QUOTE]

Okay that's good to know because I would have compared it and said why is my baby the way it is.
    Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Those are beautiful names. All 4 of them. LOL

I never found out what I was going to have with any of mine.

Have you a pediatrician picked out? I don't know how it works in BC, but here in the US we pick ours out. If you have that option, you might want to start interviewing pediatricians.

Again, with the formula, it is so very expensive, I would wait until I talked with the lactation consultant and the pediatrician in the hospital. Most hospitals will send you home with at least a days worth of formula. And you have such a wonderful husband and Nanny, I'm sure they wouldn't mind running out to get what your pediatrician prescribes once you get home.

Mar 15, 2008, 06:12 PM
    I am going to wait it is crazy how expensive things are for babies. I don't help the matter since I needed a $ 650 crib, $ 400 stroller, and the clothes well lets not get on that topic LOL. My husband has said this baby has cost him more then his first car go figure, but it's my first and I wanted the best stuff.

As for a pediatrician it depends were you live, normally you stay with your family doctor who delivers the baby. We don't even see a OB anymore those are just for special cases, it's the family doctor that delivers the bundle joy. The only time you really see a pediatrician if there is something wrong with the baby or in the hospital.

As for the names I just really wanted a name that would sound great later in life. I don't know if you have read in past when my husband was on here, he had mentioned to everyone that I was thinking of naming our sons middle name after my doctor. Well see I always have liked Victor as a middle name, yes it is my doctors name and it is one of my favorite soaps stars name ( Victor Newman) but I still have some more convincing to do LOL.
    Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 06:17 PM
    Yeah, I remember that post about the middle name, LOL. Although I see why you want that name (I'm named after a soap star), your husbands feelings may get hurt.

Your hubby was so worried about you the first few weeks of your pregnancy, I do remember that too.

Mar 15, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Yeah he is good husband he has always been there for me. He thinks the doctor may be offended or would have weird feelings about having a child named after him, I told him he was nuts.
    Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 06:24 PM
    Just always remember to consider what the initials would spell too.

When I was pregnant with my first I was hoping for a girl. I was going to name her Hailey Ann... My last name at the time was Schmidt.

My sweet loving mother brought it to my attention that kids are cruel, they would be calling her Holy Sh!t. LOL

Another friend of mine named her child Amber Nichole, and their last name begins with D... so her monogram is AND.

Just things to consider.
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2008, 06:26 PM

Okay that's good to know because I would of compared it and said why is my baby the way it is.

It happens often and is a common reason why breastfeedong mothers end the breastfeeding sooner than they had hoped to. So are a number of misconceptions that cause women to second guess their decision... that you will become very sore, that you will have to deal with cracking and bleeding, that you won't be able to drink anything or eat what you want, that baby eating so often shows that you aren't making enough or that your milk doesn't satisfy baby (a popular one with well meaning family members! ), that it is obvious that you aren't producing enough if you don't get much if you try pumping, that no one else can help with feedings, etc..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Naming your baby after the doctor? [ 14 Answers ]

So I'd like to give everyone an update the baby is fine so far we have our 7th ultrasound tomorrow ( due to the bleeding a few days ago), but so far everything looks good. So now to my question my wife has come up with this really "great " idea ( note that great is in quotes). She now thinks we...

Breech Baby, really bad Rib Ache [ 5 Answers ]

I am 32 weeks Pregnant and my widwife has told me that me Baby is in the breech position. I have been sufferinf for the last 3-4 weeks with really bad aches in the right hand side of my ribs (under my breast) and in my back, am sure there gonne pop out. Are these pains normal.. even with a breech...

Baby measuring smaller/doctor update [ 14 Answers ]

Well guys I had my second doctor visit today! The baby is too cute and looks more human and we could see the heart beating... doctor said we would listen to it next time! It measures 27cm crown to rump! The only thing that bothered me a bit was that the doctor said the baby measured to be at 9...

Breech bαby [ 16 Answers ]

I'm 38 weeks αnd 5 dαys. I went to the doctor this morning αnd αppαrently my little girl decided to turn αround αnd is now breech... I'm getting α scheduαled c- section... I definαtely did not wαnt it to go this wαy.. hαs αnyone gone through this? αny αdvice.. I'm so sαd:(

Breech of contract by realtor [ 2 Answers ]

Is there legitimate cause for a claim that I can make for remuneration because the listing realtor did not advertise the home--in the paper, or on the internet--except for his own website. In addition, would not list the house because it was "March" and insisted we wait until May, when home buying...

View more questions Search