Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davejag Posts: 308, Reputation: 5

Jan 24, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Naming your baby after the doctor?
    So I'd like to give everyone an update the baby is fine so far we have our 7th ultrasound tomorrow ( due to the bleeding a few days ago), but so far everything looks good.
    So now to my question my wife has come up with this really "great " idea ( note that great is in quotes). She now thinks we should name our son Ethan and for the middle name Victor which is our doctors first name. She has a good relationship with him and he has always been their as a doctor, so is it crazy for her to want to name our first born middle name after him? I know this sounds like an odd question but this topic is hot in our household.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2008, 06:21 PM
    For some unknown reason women like to give their male children the doctor's name as their middle name. It's not uncommon.

Can't she be a little more creative and use say, the grandfather's first name as middle name?

Is that the best she can do? Have her put on her thinking cap and try again. I veto that one.

Jan 24, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Thank you finally someone agrees with me, well see the grandfather won't work they are already taken. All tell her you said to put on the thinking cap, man I thought I was being unreasonable.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2008, 06:40 PM
    I have 3 kids 1 stepson 4 nephews 2 nieces and 2 great nephews and 1 great niece = 13 that are not named after their doctors.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2008, 06:47 PM
    Just remember dear heart, this child will have this name for a lifetime. It's not something you want to "stick" a kid with. My son was named after his grandfather and father. I put the grandfather's name first, then the father's name as middle name. My son is proud of his name knowing his grandfather was a U.S. Federal Marshall. I'm not too sure how he would have felt knowing his middle name was the doctor that delivered him. He'd probably scratch his head and wonder what was mama thinking?? LOL

Good luck with the names, there Dave. Also, remember the old test for naming a kid. Go to the back door. Open it and yell the name real loud at least 5 times and see how you still like the name after that.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 24, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Personally I think it's a little creepy myself.

Now, you say the grandfather's name is taken? So, what, I have a cousin with the same middle name as mine... Why can't it be a tradition? It'll make Grampa proud that he is respected enough that so many are named after him.

Jan 24, 2008, 06:55 PM
    That is a great idea I have never heard of yelling the kids name 5 times but all keep that in mind. I will get my wife to read your answers if you don't mind and I am hoping this will change her mind. Thank you again for your help.

Jan 24, 2008, 06:57 PM
    I thought it was creepy myself I am hoping it's just those hormones or hers kicking in again if you know what I mean. I always liked Ethan James personally.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

My son has the middle name, and first name of his great grandfather, Daniel McLeod... come to find out, the grandfathers middle name was his doctors... after he delivered the boy he told the parents "i have no boys in my line, so this ones mine!!" and they gave him the docs name... passed down throgh mine.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Nothing wrong with using the doctor's middle name... it was someone who helped her through a pretty difficult time... she wouldn't be the first, but the two of you should agree on it... middle names often don't get used much anyway... mine came from an uncle who was pretty strong and once wrestled an ape in a cage... guess the ape beat the crap out of him but it was a good story... kind of ironic because the guy ended up being an ape that liked to beat up my aunt...

So... I guess the best advice is to pick a name you can both be happy with...

You could always have two middle names as a compromise??

Thank you, you have helped my case.
    stormey44 Posts: 380, Reputation: 3

Jan 24, 2008, 07:05 PM
    I got 2 kids a nephew and 13 cousins that are not named after their doctor
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jan 25, 2008, 02:03 PM
    I can understand holding esteem for your doctor... but... a family name is a better, more intimate, legacy to pass on. Besides, I bet he already has a few children named after him. ;)

On family members with the same names... any future son I have, or my SIL has will have the middle name of Michael after our deceased brother-in-law. If we both have sons, they'll both share his legacy. :)
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 02:20 PM
    I was named after a soap opera character. My mom just liked the name, but that's where she heard it.

My middle name, though, is Lynn.

It's also my mother's middle name, HER mother's middle name, and HER mother's middle name, and HER mother's middle name.

It's just become tradition in our family for the first born daughter of everyone in the family to have the middle name "Lynn"---so I have 4 cousins with the same middle name, and countless second and third cousins with it.

It's also tradition in our family to name a child after the last person close to you that died, if appropriate. For instance, my cousin Jeremy just had a little boy. The last person to die was our great-grandmother, Adeline Jeanne. Finding a masculine version of Adaline wasn't working, so they named their son John, from the masculine version of Jeanne. My cousin Tia is named after my great-grandmother, Cresentia.

Taking a variation of a name works if you really don't like the name, or if you already have too many of a name (after Grampa John died, we had a John, an Ian, a Jack and an Ivan).

However--taking the doctor's name just seems creepy to me.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 02:28 PM
    I had an amazing crush on my doctors each time I was pregnant--and why not! Since he's the only guy other than the husband who sees a pregnant woman up close and personal.

Neither of my kids is named Seymour or Gary.

I vote no. Honor a relative instead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby measuring smaller/doctor update [ 14 Answers ]

Well guys I had my second doctor visit today! The baby is too cute and looks more human and we could see the heart beating... doctor said we would listen to it next time! It measures 27cm crown to rump! The only thing that bothered me a bit was that the doctor said the baby measured to be at 9...

Naming plaintiff [ 1 Answers ]

1. If I name the wrong company name (because I can't find it), can I sue later if I find out the real name in court? 2. Also, I think I will be naming the individuals as well, in case it is not Incorporated. Will this be OK? 3. Is there any way to find out a company name other than the...

Naming compounds [ 1 Answers ]

How do the names of covalent compounds differ from the names of ionic compounds?

Help naming a character... again [ 4 Answers ]

Isabelle: from 1800’s, known as the towns reader. Always found in the book store, she is oblivious to many things. __________: Main Character: 2005, Known as the new girl even after 2 months of being in school. Witty and not very number smart prefers reading, loves books. She can be goofy at...

WWW Naming [ 2 Answers ]

Ok in WWW naming why is the Top Level Domain for England .co.uk and the TLD for say Germany just .de?? Surely it should be .co.de for country germany?? Any ideas people

View more questions Search