Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2013, 12:41 PM
    Already stipulated
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 01:15 PM
    How would that work for a private sale, say, between neighbors?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Can we all agree that all firearms sales should involve a background check and a paper trail?
    No I can't agree with that. I don't support national gun registration. I do support the background checks that many states do on the local level. But there really is no need for a paper trail.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    No I can't agree with that. I dont support national gun registration. I do support the background checks that many states do on the local level. But there really is no need for a paper trail.
    So there are no people in Texas and Florida taking car loads of guns to Chicago or New Jerey and selling them to bad guys?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2013, 02:17 PM
    Hello:

I'm not into registration either. I WOULD be in favor of requiring a gun owner to have INSURANCE. I don't know if Obama proposed that. IF that had been the case in Newtown, the family's would have gotten SOMETHING. As it stands now, they got bupkus.

No, they can't sue the maker of the gun. Somehow, the gun industry ISN'T liable under product liability laws. You know, the laws that say if the manufacturer of a CRIB hurts your baby, you can sue.. But, you can't if your baby is riddled with holes..

Do you think the NRA had something to do with getting that law changed??

excon
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

I'm not into registration either. I WOULD be in favor of requiring a gun owner to have INSURANCE. I dunno if Obama proposed that. IF that had been the case in Newtown, the family's would have gotten SOMETHING. As it stands now, they got bupkus.

No, they can't sue the maker of the gun. Somehow, the gun industry ISN'T liable under product liability laws. You know, the laws that say if the manufacturer of a CRIB hurts your baby, you can sue.. But, you can't if your baby is riddled with holes..

Do you think the NRA had something to do with getting that law changed???

excon

Im not sure which law your talking about. There has been lawsuits against gunmakers when it was thought the product was faulty. Just as your crib example.
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    So there are no people in Texas and Florida taking car loads of guns to Chicago or New Jerey and selling them to bad guys?
    If you know those people then please turn them in. They are breaking federal law by doing it.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2013, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    There you go 'clete, when they run out of arguments they attack you.
    Well of course karma but they always want to kill the messenger.

The issue has gone from gun ownership to violence which is the typical buckpassing argument of the NRA, they have done a good job of brainwashing, I expect that is why there are so many guns in circulation/
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2013, 03:30 PM
    Was the gun defective like the crib ? No it wasn't . It goes back to the cliché I don't really care for 'people kill people'. If I drove into you ,intent to hurt you ,you would not have a case against Toyota .

If the mom had not been killed ,then she could've been sued for negligence depending on the state laws for safe storage. That would be easy to show causation . I don't know what type of estate she left behind . I imagine that will go to whatever settlement there will be .
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2013, 03:39 PM
    What is defective about the gun, Tom, and particularly the gun used in Newtown is that it is designed to kill many at one time. Therefore the Gun in the person of its manufacturer has the same case to answer as the person who pulled the trigger. Those who designed the gun, manufactured it and sold it are equally cupable, accessories before the fact. If you could just grasp that point the population would flee from guns and manufacture would decline, we would literally beat our swords into plowshares and I say hasten the day
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 03:42 PM
    The gun did what it was designed to do, and did it very well. And it's okay that Americans have the right to own one just like it? For what purpose?
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2013, 03:45 PM
    That truly is the question for what purpose do americans find the need to possess semi automatic weapons and high load clips, when are they going to confront rampaging zombies or hoards of native americans. I have news for you the British aren't coming again and nor are the Russians and I doubt the Chinese have any interest in destroying their biggest market
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2013, 04:06 PM
    Good ,change the constitution as Rubio suggested .
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2013, 04:12 PM
    You see Tom the groundswell is beginning
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    That truely is the question for what purpose do americans find the need to possess semi automatic weapons and high load clips, when are they going to confront rampaging zombies or hoards of native americans. I have news for you the British arn't coming again and nor are the Russians and I doubt the Chinese have any interest in destroying their biggest market
    Here are 2 of many reasons.

1) cyote hunting.

2) wild boar hunting.

Both of these animals when left untended can destroy very many animals or crops.

Aside from those there are many that are volunteer LEO's in their local areas that perform ride alongs and also patrol during times of civil unrest.

Your thinking is tunnelvision driven by your past. When might you open your mind to the fact that there are people that recreationaly shoot guns and also participate in shooting events?

It may not be your cup of tea but why do you want so badly to deny others?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 04:17 PM
    And so my Chicago suburban, 80-90 IQ friend owns an AK-47, and it stands in his closet waiting for civil unrest to occur or a wild boar to run through his yard -- or his mother to get on his nerves one more time.
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    what is defective about the gun, Tom, and particularly the gun used in Newtown is that it is designed to kill many at one time. Therefore the Gun in the person of its manufacturer has the same case to answer as the person who pulled the trigger. Those who designed the gun, manufactured it and sold it are equally cupable, accessories before the fact. If you could just grasp that point the population would flee from guns and manufacture would decline, we would literally beat our swords into plowshares and I say hasten the day
    The original design of the gun used doesn't resemble in function the original design of the gun. When first issued it was during the vietnam war era and was a fully automatic weapon. Later it was derated to be a semi auto sporting rifle. Worlds apart from its original design other then the look of it.
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    And so my Chicago suburban, 80-90 IQ friend owns an AK-47, and it stands in his closet waiting for civil unrest to occur or a wild boar to run through his yard -- or his mother to get on his nerves one more time.
    Since your friend is in Chicago my bet would be on the civil unrest before the boar ;)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 04:22 PM
    Since your friend is in Chicago my bet would be on the civil unrest before the boar ;)
    He'd be the last person I would want to see shooting that thing. His judgment is very iffy. And his mother does a good job of irritating him on a regular basis.

The only good reason he might have to use it would be to pick off a coyote munching on his mother's Pomeranian in their upscale, leafy suburb.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 04:36 PM
    If you know those people then please turn them in. They are breaking federal law by doing it.
    A paper trail could help the cops and prosecute the perps. Especially a national paper trail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gun Control... it didn't take long [ 1292 Answers ]

I won't go into hysterics that Obama is going to take away our guns. Just one question. If the US backs a UN Treaty to restrict small arms ,what is the law of the land ? The treaty ,or the Constitution of the land... specifically the 2nd Amendment ? After Obama win, U.S. backs new U.N....

Gun control. My thoughts. Just shoot me now. This thread won't end well. [ 332 Answers ]

Okay, I do have thoughts on gun control, and I promised to start a thread where we could discuss guns, and peoples thoughts on guns. But I didn't start the thread about the Connecticut massacre to discuss gun control. That was about the families and their loss. So, to keep that Connecticut...

Gun control by fiat? [ 17 Answers ]

Who needs a congress? King Obama is reportedly working on gun control "under the radar" by way of executive order or regulatory means. WaPo did a story on White House gun control czar Steve Crowley which had this little tidbit that just almost escaped notice. I'm sure that is "under the...

Gun Control [ 29 Answers ]

Hello: The killer we've been talking about was subdued AFTER he emptied his magazine and before he could insert another. He was using 30 round clips. THOSE clips were illegal under the Assault Weapons Ban that EXPIRED under Bush and was not reinstated. If it HAD been reinstated, the killer...

Gun control and socialized medicine in Europe [ 1 Answers ]

Are any countries in Europe that do not have either gun control laws or socialized medicine? I know they're very "europe-y" things to do, but I don't know if the EU requires them, or if a bunch of countries just decided to institute them. (I know the exact polices vary a bit, so I'm guessing it's...

View more questions Search