Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 9, 2010, 01:58 PM

2 5/4 x6 decking and three 2x12 stringers with a 1 in. overhang.
    I think that is your best choice.

stringers set in one inch on both sides
    I take it that means a 1" over hang on the ends of the treads. Strictly for aesthetics I'd go a little further. If post are on the outside of the stringer make ends of treads even with outside edge of post.

I'd use screws. Nails tend to back out over time. With the square and "spider" drive deck screws, screws are easy to drive. No need to drill pilot holes.

Looking through McFeely's catalog earlier today. Saw that they have a screw/nail. You shoot it with a nail gun for speed but it has a square drive head so you can remove it with square drive bit. Suppose to provide nearly the same pull out pressure as deck screws.

Manhatten

Thanks, just trying to understand what I am reading.
    jon123 Posts: 240, Reputation: 3

May 9, 2010, 07:06 PM
    I'm cutting 2x12s open stringers three 6.5 rise and 10" run with two 5/4 x 6 no.1 premium decking to give me a 1" bullnose.. using 2" self tap deck screws (star head bit)

May 9, 2010, 07:53 PM

To meet code you are going to have to put something on the riser to break up the open space between the treads. You want open risers for snow removal and are going to use closed in stringer? Seems like a contradiction. I'd want the open stringer so I could push the snow off the end of the step.

May 9, 2010, 08:46 PM

Yes, I thought about it and prefer to have a solid staircase and it will be no less safe without the boarded risers.. IMO I think it is actually safer without boarded risers knowing that deep snow can be removed with a lot less effort using a broom or shovel. Pushing snow off through the open risers is a feature I can live with.. besides, I can always install risers should I have to but this is one exception to code staircase and my personal preference. Ty again,jon

May 10, 2010, 02:59 PM

well it turned out like this today.. I used a precut stringer as a template on a 16 ft 2x12... it turns out that I need 20ft stringers instead to reach the deck. I thought I used the calculator right but apparently the span from top deck to concrete needs at least two steps longer with the precut 6 1/2" rise with 10" run. I want open end stringers so I will just storage the 16 precut I made for a future project and get the 20fters needed for my open stringers. Here's a link I found to better guide me through the rest. http://www.co.campbell.va.us/depts/c...ck_details.pdf

May 10, 2010, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Several approaches to sertting up stringers, my usual approach is to go to Menards and buy a pre-cut set. How to cut stringers.
    Ballenger is right, I bought a small precut stringer from home depot and used it for a template on my 16 ft 2x12.. not sure how I miscalculated but, the deck was too high for my precut to span. I know I must get 20ft 2x12s for the span to level the precuts.. still going with no.1 premium 5/4 x 6 treads. My landing is a croncrete patio so it really isn't critical for me to know exactly my point of landing.. the precut run and rise will dictate where the staircase lands.. I will make all three the same and leave enough to scribe cut for level. To attach the top stringer to deck boxframe , I will use one of the methods here http://www.co.campbell.va.us/depts/c...ck_details.pdf (figure 33 section 16 ) for securing the stringers to the boxframe. I think now I will have no problems with the span.. I'm using 4x4 x 10fters and bolting them midway upstairs with crossbraces and 4x4 4fters along the first step to support my railing system same section in link above.

May 10, 2010, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    To meet code you are going to have to put something on the riser to break up the open space between the treads. You want open risers for snow removal and are going to use closed in stringer? Seems like a contradiction. I'd want the open stringer so I could push the snow off the end of the step.
    I'm going to do this right and eventually put in risers.. might go 1x4s.. and will use a good rail system displayed like this one in section 16.
    http://www.co.campbell.va.us/depts/c...ck_details.pdf

May 11, 2010, 07:30 PM

I finally finished my stairs!! Everything is code and turned out next to perfect.. riser install I will wait for this wet wood shrinkage

May 11, 2010, 08:27 PM

Congratulations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to build commercial deck [ 3 Answers ]

I own a apartment building, I do all my own fixes and I am very handy. I need to know where I can find how to fix the deck for 2nd floor walkway.

How do build a deck over uneven concreate patio. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to find information on how to build a deck over and uneven concreate surface, I have minimal height from the concreate to the door of the house approx 20cm there for am unable to use bearers and joists plus decking surface, are there any tips out there. I would be greatfull for any...

Can I build a Deck for this pool [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 16 foot pool that weighs approximately 334 lbs and it holds approximately 6981 pounds. How much would the pool weigh and could it be set on a deck and if so how should I build it? :confused:

Deck top. We have a covered deck, planning on expanding deck, a 2x4 crossed cover [ 1 Answers ]

help!! We are planning on expanding our original deck with an open 2x4 crossed cover... do you have pictures or construction help?? Thanks

How to build deck on cement slab [ 1 Answers ]

I like to know if I can build deck on existing cement slab and pur boards directly on slab and how would I tie boards down to slab

View more questions Search