Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thesexyjessica Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2009, 11:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Why do you need another dog?

You just said you already have 2 dogs.

Show both of them some more attention.

I have 2 dogs here and they are hard enough to care for and show plenty of attention too.
    Sariss has a very good point, outside dogs that are unsuperived as yours are are much more likely to be baited or attack another animal.
    One vet bill is managable but 3 vet bills can be scary.

If you read a lot of posts on this site there are so many people that can not afford vet care. I don't know about your finincial situation but it is something to think about.

And why is it better to have an indoor dog?
    Well...
    I am my dogs "pack leader" they want to be with me.
    I can play with them almost all day and keep them company.

They can get out of the heat and sit in nice airconditioned comfort.

Mine love lazing around on the couch.

The back door is always open so they can go play in the yard if they want to... they only ever go outside to potty, they want to be inside with their family.

If you are a farmer then great, you would be spending about 14 hours a day out with your cattle and your dogs would be with you.
    If you just live on a property and don't use these dogs as herding/working dogs and don't spend hours every day with them then they are better off inside.

The "I have 2 dogs they keep each other company" is just not right. They will end up teaching wach other bad habits as you are not there to stop them.
    Well technically one of the dogs is my brothers and he takes care of it and the other is all of my familys. She is old and dying and won't be around for long. I spend about 4 hours a day with my dogs. And this post is pretty much not needed since I got another dog a week ago. Who is fine living outside.

Jul 18, 2009, 11:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    Before thinking about getting a THIRD dog...

Since they are farm dogs. Let's say all three of them get poisoned. Or they all attack a porcupine (pack mentality!)

Can you afford to put a couple thousand bucks up front for vet care?
    well that would be totally random and weird cause we don't have porcupines? And my dogs are smart enough to not go by something poisonous
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 18, 2009, 11:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thesexyjessica View Post
    well technically one of the dogs is my brothers and he takes care of it and the other is all of my familys. she is old and dying and wont be around for long. I spend about 4 hours a day with my dogs. and this post is pretty much not needed since i got another dog a week ago. who is fine living outside.
    4 hours? That's it?

I spend all day with my dogs. They follow me around the house, we go for walks, play, run around. They are content because they are a part of the family.

The concern is not whether a dog can live outside, it's whether it should.

Dogs are very affectionate animals, they need contact, they need love. Having a dog is a lot like having a child. You wouldn't spend only 4 hours a day with a child, would you?

You've made your decision, but I can't help but feel sorry for the dog and for you, you're both missing out on what having a dog really entails.

Good luck. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2009, 01:07 AM
    well that would be totally random and weird cause we don't have porcupines? and my dogs are smart enough to not go by something poisonous
    So are you saying that if someone put poison inside a piece of chicken and threw it onto your property your dogs would be smart enough not to eat it?

Or if they saw a snake in the grass they would stay away from it.

We almost lost a Great Dane a few years back to snake bite. And we are 99% sure one of our dogs was poisoned by a relative (family fued).

You can never be too careful.

That poor dog, yet another poor pack animal that will be living alone. :(
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 02:29 AM

My mother used to do some sewing for this lady that lived on an acreage outside of town.

She had over 400 acres, she was very wealthy. Her husband had passed on and she decided to get to english sheepdogs. They lived in the house as puppies but as they got bigger she decided that she couldn't handle having them live indoors anymore.

She had state of the art dog houses built, had someone build a pump that would automatically fill up the water dishes, hired someone to walk them and feed them. She would spend a lot of time outside, so she did see them, interact with them, but she couldn't understand why, even after years of living outside, they still scratched at the door, still wanted in. One of them eventually ended up killing the other. They fought, the smaller one lost and paid with his life. She was devastated. After that incident the one that survived became violent. She had to hire a professional dog trainer. He spent 3 months with that dog and finally told the lady she'd have to put the dog down, that there was nothing he could do to fix it. He blamed the fact that the dog had no social interaction.

Dogs are social animals, they need interaction. Will your dog become aggressive? It could happen, I've seen it happen before. Will your dog be lonely, unfulfilled, sad? Yes, without a doubt.

You obviously don't want to hear this advice, it's very evident in the way you've responded, but all I see is someone that let what they want overrule what's best for the animal.

He may live a long, content life, but he won't be happy. Four hours a day really is nothing, not even close to the amount of attention a dog needs.

I really feel for him.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 06:00 AM
    Let's let this one dry up, now. The venting and rants, while cleansing, won't change the OP's mind. I hope the new dog makes friends before she goes back to school.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 04:00 PM
    well that would be totally random and weird cause we don't have porcupines? and my dogs are smart enough to not go by something poisonous
    It was a generalization.

You didn't answer the question, so I'll assume the answer is no.

This is another pets are a privilege not a right type case..

Edit: Should have read the last post.

Jul 19, 2009, 09:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    4 hours? That's it?

I spend all day with my dogs. They follow me around the house, we go for walks, play, run around. They are content because they are a part of the family.

The concern is not whether a dog can live outside, it's whether it should.

Dogs are very affectionate animals, they need contact, they need love. Having a dog is alot like having a child. You wouldn't spend only 4 hours a day with a child, would you?

You've made your decision, but I can't help but feel sorry for the dog and for you, you're both missing out on what having a dog really entails.

Good luck. :)
    Uhh I have a life I go places. Places where dogs are not allowed. I spend any chance I get with my dog. Anytime I'm at home. It would get the same amount of attention as if it were an inside.

Jul 19, 2009, 09:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    So are you saying that if someone put poison inside a piece of chicken and threw it onto your property your dogs would be smart enough not to eat it?

Or if they saw a snake in the grass they would stay away from it.

We almost lost a Great Dane a few years back to snake bite. And we are 99% sure one of our dogs was poisoned by a relative (family fued).

You can never be too careful.

That poor dog, yet another poor pack animal that will be living alone. :(

Well I don't have family feuds. And nobody would throw a poisoned piece of chicken onto our land because we have no neighbors and u have to travel a mile down a road to even get to our house, most people can't even find our house. I live in a town where everyone knows and likes everyone.

And yes they are smart enough to stay away from snakes because they have been around snakes and they are smart and know not to go mess with a snake because that's already happened and she learned from her mistake.

Jul 19, 2009, 09:58 PM

Just whatever. Forget it.
    handyamby Posts: 29, Reputation: 7

Aug 10, 2009, 09:23 PM

Hey, what kind of dog did you get? How is it doing? I was admittedly upset when I first read your post. But I watch animal cops sometimes and there are people who get dogs and keep them chained in their tiny city backyards and never pay any attention to them. After reading all your posts it seems this dog will be well loved and have a great farm to live on. How is it going?
    LadyDeibert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2010, 12:24 PM
    Don't pay attention to these people. They only think they know what's best for dogs. I have raised and owned more dogs than most people since I was raised by a hunter. I've had inside pets and outside pets, so I can give you a more honest unbiased opinion. Most dogs are fine outdoors full time if you provide them the appropriate shelter, and other basic needs. I currently have a Rat Terrier who lives in the house, and during the day I often have to make him come inside and spend time with the family. Guess what he would rather be doing? He would rather be outside hunting or socializing with the other dogs. My animals are well socialized, and I spend all the time I can outdoors. Having outside dogs gets my kids away from the t.v. I have neighbors who keep their dogs in the house part time, and their dogs are more aggressive than any of the dogs I've personally owned, so that blows that lie! Dogs do need attention, but what the inside-only crowd fails to recognize is that they also have more energy than just a few walks a day or your home can allow for them to expel. They need the opportunity to run, explore, and just be dogs. That's when they are the happiest, and the love and praise they receive from us is the cherry on top for them!
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2010, 02:46 PM

You couldn't be more wrong. Dogs are pack animals and require to be around other animals or people.

Yes dogs can live outside. Some people take good care of out door dogs, but the dogs are still a chore, not an enjoyment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 04:21 PM

Closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

I'm a firt time rabbit and is a rabbit OK in the weather where I live? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I've looked in book and the internet and I've nothing I would like to know if I could keep a rabbit outside in when its warm and then bring him in when its cold because I'm afraid the weather where I live is to cold for him:confused:

Opening live mail opens live messenger. [ 1 Answers ]

This is getting kind of annoying as it lags my PC... Everyime I log into my windows live mail/hotmail it opens windows live messenger, regardless whether I want to use it or not. Any ideas? I checked the Windows Live Messenger's settings but found nothing. Btw, I use IE 8 and I'm running...

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 2 Answers ]

What are rules for filing

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

View more questions Search