Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thesexyjessica Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Jul 6, 2009, 03:03 PM
    What dogs can live outside in hot weather?
    Hi, Recently I've been looking for a new dog and it has to be an outside dog because my mom has allergies and the whole shedding... I need to know what dogs can live outside in the hot weather. The dog is going to have to be outside year round and most of the time its really hot out here and it has to be a dog that can protect itself... So if you could tell me some dogs that can survive the heat then I'd be reeally happy:)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 6, 2009, 03:04 PM
    What about a poodle. They actually have hair instead of fur and are good for people with allergies to dogs. They can live inside with the allergic person.

Jul 6, 2009, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    What about a poodle. They actually have hair instead of fur and are good for people with allergies to dogs. They can live inside with the allergic person.
    Yeah poodles are good but my mom won't let anyyy dogs live inside no matter what. I need an outside dog but thanks anyway...
    kreeperkemp Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2009, 03:17 PM
    There are a multi-tude of quote-un-quote hypo-allergenic dogs. (in all reality the is no such thing all dogs have dander no matter what people tell you all dogs do have dander) and as far as outdoor dog if your in a constantly warm/hot climate with no snowy winters your going to want a short hair. But if you have snowy winter then a short hair will not do well it may freeze to death. But if you have hot summer that stay above 100 then getting a dog with dual layer coat is bad the dog may die of a heat stroke.
    Don't know if this helped or made it worse.

Jul 6, 2009, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kreeperkemp View Post
    there are a multi-tude of quote-un-quote hypo-allergenic dogs. (in all reality the is no such thing all dogs have dander no matter what people tell you all dogs do have dander) and as far as outdoor dog if your in a constantly warm/hot climate with no snowy winters your gonna want a short hair. but if you have snowy winter then a short hair will not do well it may freeze to death. but if you have hot summer that stay above 100 then getting a dog with dual layer coat is bad the dog may die of a heat stroke.
    dunno if this helped or made it worse.
    This helped thank you.. I need names of breeds of short haired dogs if you know any... we have 100 degree summers and our winters never snow

Jul 6, 2009, 03:26 PM
    To contiue a thought I didn't finish. The so called hypo-allergenic dogs have hair instead of fur. So the dander is cut down quit a bit, to the point where people with allergies actully have them as pets. The only problem with dogs that have hair instead of fur is that their hair grows like peoples (always). Which means you will need to groom them once a month-every other month.

Jul 6, 2009, 03:32 PM
    Google medium short hair dogs. I say medium cause if you search for large you will get dogs like the rodeschian ridgeback, great dane, doberman pincher, and so on and so forth. So its better for someone with allergies and predisposition to not wanting dogs to start with a medium so that the dog does not overwhelm them and end up being turned into the pound.

Jul 6, 2009, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kreeperkemp View Post
    go ahead and google medium short hair dogs. i say medium cause if you search for large you will get dogs like the rodeschian ridgeback, great dane, doberman pincher, and so on and so forth. so its better for someone with allergies and predisposition to not wanting dogs to start with a medium so that the dog does not overwhelm them and end up being turned into the pound.
    Thank you so much.. I couldn't figure out what I should Google to figure out and that was perfect thanks:D
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 6, 2009, 03:38 PM
    Labs are great outdoor pets for any weather actually.

Jul 6, 2009, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Labs are great outdoor pets for any weather actually.
    Yes labs do make great outdoor pets. But I have found without semi-constant human contact they become indepentent and rambucious and to a begging trainer the lab may not be a great choice. But every dog is different. And they might find the one for them.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 6, 2009, 05:16 PM

If you have an outdoor only dog then you'll have a very unhappy, very understimulated, emotional basket case.

A dog needs interaction. Outdoor dogs are too easily forgotten.

A dog that only sees the backyard will become destructive, aggressive and depressed.

Why do you feel the need to get a dog? Why not get an animal that your mother will allow and accept into the family?

You sound young. Will you spend at least 6 hours a day with this dog, outdoors? Will you walk the dog every day, at least 2 one hour walks? Will you supply a shelter, activities, entertainment, and space to run?

A dog is not for you. Not now.

That's my opinion.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 07:21 PM

If you are getting a Dog as a Pet they become part of the family , therefore should be allowed inside.

It sounds to me like the conditions this Dog is going to face aren't very comfortable.

Maybe let your Mother stay outside (just kidding) :)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 07:42 PM

Animals kept outside such as dogs will as Alty put it be extremely upset and unhappy. Please do not relegate a dog to a miserable life of being chained outside. That is not a pet. It is more like an object. Maybe Mom can let you have a bird instead of a dog. Why not ask her WHAT kind of pet she would approve of? If she says no pets period, then you will have to wait until you leave home to have a pet.

Jul 13, 2009, 10:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    If you have an outdoor only dog then you'll have a very unhappy, very understimulated, emotional basket case.

A dog that only sees the backyard will become destructive, aggressive and depressed.

Why do you feel the need to get a dog? Why not get an animal that your mother will allow and accept into the family?

You sound young. Will you spend at least 6 hours a day with this dog, outdoors? Will you walk the dog every day, at least 2 one hour walks? Will you supply a shelter, activities, entertainment, and space to run?

That's my opinion.
    Well first of all I already have 2 dogs and they are perfectly happy.. not depressed, destructive and aggressive. My dogs have never even bit someone...
    To correct you its not a backyard its 100 acres thank you very much. Oh and as for as the accepting animals. I live on a farm with a couple hundred of animals. It's a country dog.
    And how is an outside dog much more depressed than an inside dog? Mr. insider is in a tight little space stuck inside alll day? As while mr. outsider can roam freely?
    So yes what shall you say now?:cool:

Jul 13, 2009, 10:00 PM

That's my opinion.
    Well first of all I already have 2 dogs and they are perfectly happy.. not depressed, destructive and aggressive. My dogs have never even bit someone...
    To correct you its not a backyard its 100 acres thank you very much. Oh and as for as the accepting animals. I live on a farm with a couple hundred of animals. It's a country dog.
    And how is an outside dog much more depressed than an inside dog? Mr. insider is in a tight little space stuck inside alll day? As while mr. outsider can roam freely?
    So yes what shall you say now?

Jul 13, 2009, 10:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Animals kept outside such as dogs will as Alty put it be extremely upset and unhappy. Please do not relegate a dog to a miserable life of being chained outside. That is not a pet. It is more like an object. Maybe Mom can let you have a bird instead of a dog. Why not ask her WHAT kind of pet she would approve of? If she says no pets period, then you will have to wait until you leave home to have a pet.
    Who said anything about a chain?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 10:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thesexyjessica View Post
    well first of all I already have 2 dogs and they are perfectly happy.. not depressed, destructive and aggressive. My dogs have never even bit someone...
    So yes what shall you say now?
    None of this info was in your original post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, Recently I've been looking for a new dog and it has to be an outside dog because my mom has allergies and the whole shedding... I need to know what dogs can live outside in the hot weather. The dog is going to have to be outside year round and most of the time its really hot out here and it has to be a dog that can protect itself... So if you could tell me some dogs that can survive the heat then I'd be reeally happy
    How were we supposed to know any of this? Guess?

You already have two outdoor dogs, so why not get the same breed, they obviously don't mind the heat and the outdoor living.

It's funny how most posters come back with all this favorable info after someone disagrees. Why is that I wonder?

Jul 13, 2009, 10:27 PM
    None of this info was in your original post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How were we supposed to know any of this? Guess?

You already have two outdoor dogs, so why not get the same breed, they obviously don't mind the heat and the outdoor living.

It's funny how most posters come back with all this favorable info after someone disagrees. Why is that I wonder?
    Well I don't know. I have no idea what kind of breeds my dogs are because one of them was dumped and we took it in. and the other was adopted and was a mix of mixes of mixes. So can't do that
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 04:51 AM

Before thinking about getting a THIRD dog...

Since they are farm dogs. Let's say all three of them get poisoned. Or they all attack a porcupine (pack mentality!)

Can you afford to put a couple thousand bucks up front for vet care?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:04 AM

Why do you need another dog?

You just said you already have 2 dogs.

Show both of them some more attention.

I have 2 dogs here and they are hard enough to care for and show plenty of attention too.
    Sariss has a very good point, outside dogs that are unsuperived as yours are are much more likely to be baited or attack another animal.
    One vet bill is manageble but 3 vet bills can be scary.

If you read a lot of posts on this site there are so many people that can not afford vet care. I don't know about your finincial situation but it is something to think about.

And why is it better to have an indoor dog?
    Well...
    I am my dogs "pack leader" they want to be with me.
    I can play with them almost all day and keep them company.

They can get out of the heat and sit in nice airconditioned comfort.

Mine love lazing around on the couch.

The back door is always open so they can go play in the yard if they want to... they only ever go outside to potty, they want to be inside with their family.

If you are a farmer then great, you would be spending about 14 hours a day out with your cattle and your dogs would be with you.
    If you just live on a property and don't use these dogs as herding/working dogs and don't spend hours every day with them then they are better off inside.

The "I have 2 dogs they keep each other company" is just not right. They will end up teaching wach other bad habits as you are not there to stop them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

I'm a firt time rabbit and is a rabbit OK in the weather where I live? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I've looked in book and the internet and I've nothing I would like to know if I could keep a rabbit outside in when its warm and then bring him in when its cold because I'm afraid the weather where I live is to cold for him:confused:

Opening live mail opens live messenger. [ 1 Answers ]

This is getting kind of annoying as it lags my PC... Everyime I log into my windows live mail/hotmail it opens windows live messenger, regardless whether I want to use it or not. Any ideas? I checked the Windows Live Messenger's settings but found nothing. Btw, I use IE 8 and I'm running...

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 2 Answers ]

What are rules for filing

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

View more questions Search