Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stacy48060 Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Oct 5, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70 View Post
    According to Fl adoption law,if the father was not married to the mother,he is not established as a father by Court,he has never acknowledged his paternity and he has not provided child support voluntary-the father IS NOT entitled to be notified for adoption proceeding.

63.072 Persons whose consent to an adoption may be waived.--The court may excuse the consent of the following individuals to an adoption:

(1) A parent who has deserted a child without affording means of identification or who has abandoned a child;
    Can you find the laws from Indiana?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2008, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy48060 View Post
    Can you find the laws from Indiana?

Now I'm confused - wasn't the child "adopted" in Florida?

Oct 5, 2008, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Now I'm confused - wasn't the child "adopted" in Florida?
    I am sorry I didn't make it more clear. The boy was adopted in Indiana by her Aunt. That is where the adoption took place and currently resides. It is the mother that moved away to Florida. I apologize for any confusion.
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2008, 06:31 AM
    I am sorry i didn't make it more clear. The boy was adopted in Indiana by her Aunt. That is where the adoption took place and currently resides. It is the mother that moved away to Florida. I apologize for any confusion.

No, no problem - I'm sure GV70 will come back with more information and some citations (he really knows his stuff!).

Oct 5, 2008, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    No, no problem - I'm sure GV70 will come back with more information and some citations (he really knows his stuff!).
    I am looking forward to it.
    Revival Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Oct 5, 2008, 08:27 AM

Indiana Adoption Laws -

This website should be able to help you out some I'm sure.
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Revival View Post
    Indiana Adoption Laws -

this website should be able to help you out some i'm sure.

This site unfortunately does not address attempting to reverse an adoption (which may or may not have been legal).
    Revival Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Oct 5, 2008, 08:40 AM

Several things:
    A) He was not on the birth certificate, thereby ruling out his decision rights as a father.
    B) He has not tried to contact his son until now.
    C) He has not paid any form of support.

With all those in mind he's got a very up hill battle to try to go for custody. Best bet first of all would try to work out some sort of deal with the aunt, and the birth mother. Set up some form of mutual meeting, of sorts where everyone can kind of lay things on the line. And if they refuse that then seek legal action.

A question that came up in my mind though is, with his grandmother being his legal guardian at the time, and him himself not being able to sign a legal document towards adoption without a guardian present, did his grandmother give the go ahead to put the child up for adoption? And are you sure she had moved to flordia at the time of adoption? And with that however, if she did live in Florida, that means that's where the child was adopted from and legally resided, so wouldn't that also mean that the adoption would have taken place in Florida, not in Indiana? It's not where the adoptive parents live that's the hot button issue, its where the child resided that has to be taken into consideration.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 10:59 AM

IC 31-19-10-1
    Persons permitted to contest adoption; time for filing motion to
    Contest
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (c), only a person
    Entitled to notice of adoption under IC 31-19-4 or IC 31-19-4.5 may
    Contest an adoption.
    (b) A person contesting an adoption must file a motion to contest
    The adoption with the court not later than thirty (30) days after
    Service of notice of the pending adoption.

IC 31-19-10-1.4
    Basis for resolving contested adoption
    Sec. 1.4. A court, in making a determination under section 1.2(e)
    Of this chapter, shall consider all relevant evidence, but may not base
    Its determination solely on a finding that a:
    (1) petitioner for adoption would be a better parent for a child
    Than the parent who filed the motion to contest the adoption; or
    (2) parent has a biological link to the child sought to be
    Adopted.

IC 31-19-4
    Chapter 4. Notice of Adoption After Birth of Child
    IC 31-19-4-1
    Notice to registered putative father
    IC 31-19-4-2
    Notice to putative father registered with putative father registry; name or address not provided by mother
    IC 31-19-4-3
    Notice to putative father not registered with putative father registry; name or address undisclosed by mother; child conceived outside Indiana
    Sec. 3. (a) If:
    (1) the mother of a child:
    (A) informs an attorney or agency arranging the child's adoption, on or before the date the child's mother executes a consent to the child's adoption, that the child was conceived outside Indiana; and

(B) does not disclose to the attorney or agency the name or address, or both, of the putative father of the child; and
    (2) the putative father of the child has:
    (A) failed or refused to consent to the adoption of the child or has not had the parent-child relationship terminated under IC 31-35 (or IC 31-6-5 before its repeal); and
    (B) not registered with the putative father registry under IC 31-19-5 within the period under IC 31-19-5-12;
    The attorney or agency shall serve notice of the adoption proceedings on the putative father by publication in the same manner as a summons is served by publication under Rule 4.13 of the Indiana Rules of Trial Procedure.
    (b) The only circumstance under which notice to the putative father must be given by publication under Rule 4.13 of the Indiana Rules of Trial Procedure is when the child was conceived outside of Indiana as described in subsection (a).
    As added by P.L.1-1997, SEC.11. Amended by P.L.146-2007, SEC.5.
    Family Law Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 11:01 AM
    IC 31-19-4-6
    Putative father not entitled to notice of adoption
    Sec. 6. Except as provided in section 3 of this chapter, if:
    (1) on or before the date the mother of a child executes a consent to the child's adoption, the mother does not disclose to the attorney or agency arranging the adoption the identity or address, or both, of the putative father; and
    (2) the putative father has not registered with the putative father registry under IC 31-19-5 within the period under IC 31-19-5-12;
    The putative father is not entitled to notice of the adoption.
    As added by P.L.1-1997, SEC.11.
    Family Law Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 11:04 AM
    IC 31-19-5-4
    Notice rights of registered persons
    Sec. 4. A putative father of a child who registers in accordance with this chapter (or IC 31-3-1.5 before its repeal) is entitled to notice of the child's adoption under Rule 4.1 of the Indiana Rules of Trial Procedure

IC 31-19-5-12
    Time of registration
    Sec. 12. (a) To be entitled to notice of an adoption under IC 31-19-3 or IC 31-19-4, a putative father must register with the state department of health under section 5 of this chapter not later than:
    (1) thirty (30) days after the child's birth; or
    (2) the earlier of the date of the filing of a petition for the:
    (A) child's adoption; or
    (B) termination of the parent-child relationship between the child and the child's mother;
    Whichever occurs later.
    (b) A putative father may register under subsection (a) before the child's birth.

Oct 5, 2008, 11:08 AM
    IC 31-19-5-4
    Sec. 4. A putative father of a child who registers in accordance with this chapter (or IC 31-3-1.5 before its repeal) is entitled to notice of the child's adoption under Rule 4.1 of the Indiana Rules of Trial Procedure

IC 31-19-5-12
    Time of registration
    Sec. 12. (a) To be entitled to notice of an adoption under IC 31-19-3 or IC 31-19-4, a putative father must register with the state department of health under section 5 of this chapter not later than:
    (A) child's adoption; or
    (B) termination of the parent-child relationship between the child and the child's mother;
    whichever occurs later.
    (b) A putative father may register under subsection (a) before the child's birth.
    So this applies even though he was under the age of 18? He was told by his legal guardian at the time to stay away from the mother and her family. But OK. He was just a 15 year old child.
    Family Law Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 11:11 AM
    In my view your fiancé does not have rights in this case.The LAW considers adoption as a final and irrevocable act.

Oct 5, 2008, 11:16 AM
    In my view your fiance does not have rights in this case.The LAW considers adoption as a final and irrevocable act.
    Thank you for your time.
    Family Law Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Thank you for your time.
    My pleasure:)
    Family Law Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 11:19 AM

It might be different if he played when he was 18.It was possible some kind of visitation... but eight years later I cannot see ways for it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 5, 2008, 11:29 AM

While the code that GV70 has cited does seem to preclude his getting any rights, I'm not so sure I would give up. Family Court judges are given a certain amount of leeway with the best interests of the child overrding the letter of the law.

There is no way he is going to get any form of custody. But I still think there is a chance that he can get permission to be some part of the child's life.
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2008, 11:33 AM
    IC 31-19-5-4

IC 31-19-5-12
    Time of registration
    (A) child's adoption; or
    whichever occurs later.

I'd give you a "greenie" but I'm all out - definitive answer. Thanks -
    Family Law Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    While the code that GV70 has cited does seem to preclude his getting any rights, I'm not so sure I would give up. Family Court judges are given a certain amount of leeway with the best interests of the child overrding the letter of the law.

There is no way he is going to get any form of custody. But I still think there is a chance that he can get permission to be some part of the child's life.
    IC 31-19-15-1
    Effect upon duties, obligations, and rights of biological parents
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in section 2 of this chapter or IC 31-19-16, if the biological parents of an adopted person are alive, the biological parents are:
    (1) relieved of all legal duties and obligations to the adopted child; and
    (2) divested of all rights with respect to the child;
    After the adoption.
    (b) The obligation to support the adopted person continues until the entry of the adoption decree. The entry of the adoption decree does not extinguish the obligation to pay past due child support owed for the adopted person before the entry of the adoption decree.
    As added by P.L.1-1997, SEC.11. Amended by P.L.130-2005, SEC.8.

Oct 5, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post

That's what we truly hope for. So you think there might be a chance the court would grant us visitation? I know the courts might want child support as well but that's a small price to pay to look in your child's eyes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why won't my fiancŽe have sex with me? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been engaged for 1 year now and my fiancée and I have always had a very healthy sexual appetite.The problem is for the past month or two he hasn't been wanting to have sex.Sometimes I will try to do it with him and he says he is to tired.He then lays down,but about 5 min. later he is in the...

Fianc?e gone off sex [ 7 Answers ]

I hope someone can help; I'm going out of my mind! I met a girl 4 years ago who was on the rebound from a relationship with the love of her life. After an off/on start we eventually got it together and after a year moved in together. After a couple of months I had some big pressures at works,...

My fiancŽe and moodiness. [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy all! some of you may know me from the women's health forumns, My question: My fiancée will sometimes get in a really weird mood. She'll get upset at small things, or unable to make decisions about little things, then get embarrassed and wanting to get away from the situation. This makes...

My fiancŽe is not interested. [ 9 Answers ]

:confused: Good Morning, This is probably a question asked in this category many many times, I see other posts about it as well, but I would like to put out my case and maybe somebody could give me some ideas? ***My Fiancée doesn't want anything sexual or intimate to do with me*** I...

Fianc?e (K-1) visa [ 1 Answers ]

I have read that one of the requirements for a k-1 visa is that you must Have met your fiancée within the last two years. Is this to say that she has to come to the U.S. meet me, return to her home country and then come back to the U.S and marry? This makes no sense. Also, besides a passport,...

View more questions Search