Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 20, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    How many types of humanism are there and what makes "secular" humanism superior to the others?
    There are Secular Humanists and Religious Humanists. Two rather different views, that share certain similarities.
    There is no cause to suggest any superiority for either view. Just a different approach within the Humanistic world view. Similar to the views that Baptists (Protestants) and Roman Catholics share and divide. Both are Christians, but have major differences in their religious views.

The Church of Reality is a religion based on the practice of Realism, which means believing in everything that is real. What relationship does this Church of Reality hold with the Council of Secular Humanism?
    I would never ask Baptists to defend or support the views of Roman Catholics or any other religious views than their own.
    The "Church of Reality" website represents people who support the views posted there.
    The Council of Secular Humanism is not responsible for the views people within the "Church of Reality" may have, even when some of their views may show similarities.
    Just like certain similar views Baptists and Roman Catholics share do not make them responsible for the specific views of the other !

:rolleyes:
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    There are Secular Humanists and Religious Humanists. Two rather different views, that share certain similarities.
    There is no cause to suggest any superiority for either view. Just a different approach within the Humanistic world view. Similar to the views that Baptists (Protestants) and Roman Catholics share and divide. Both are Christians, but have major differences in their religious views.

I would never ask Baptists to defend or support the views of Roman Catholics or any other religious views than their own.
    The "Church of Reality" website represents people who support the views posted there.
    The Council of Secular Humanism is not responsible for the views people within the "Church of Reality" may have, even when some of their views may show similarities.
    Just like certain similar views Baptists and Roman Catholics share do not make them responsible for the specific views of the other !

I didn't ask you to defend their beliefs. I just asked you how they were related.

However, since they claim to share your beliefs, why wouldn't you be able to defend them? There are many views which Baptists and Catholics have in common and I when I defend one I defend the other, because they are one and the same.

Anyway, you mean that the Council and the Church are not the same entity nor related in any way.

The only reason I was curious is because they share or at least refer to secular humanism beliefs yet the Church claims to be a religion. And you say that secular humanism is not a religion.

So, would it be fair to say that some people who believe as secular humanists believe do consider their beliefs to constitute a religion?

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2008, 09:03 AM
    The Council for Secular Humanism is the * leading organization for non-religious people.
    What is the difference between the Council and these atheist organizations:

American Atheists

Atheist Alliance International

And why is this council superior to them? Or what does the word "leading organization" mean if not superior in some way?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 09:11 AM
    So, would it be fair to say that some people who believe as secular humanists believe do consider their beliefs to constitute a religion?
    Hello again, De Maria:

Sure. And, that means what, exactly?? Some Christians believe in starving their children instead of seeking medical help for them. Am I to draw a conclusion about Christians from THAT?

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again, De Maria:

Sure. And, that means what, exactly??

Excon
    Am I ruffling your feathers excon?

It's a simple question. I guess your answer to the question is "sure".

Some Christians believe in starving their children instead of seeking medical help for them. Am I to draw a conclusion about Christians from THAT?
    I believe this has been discussed in another thread. Perhaps you could refer to the answers you received in that thread. Otherwise, this is about secular humanism and since I've heard a great deal about this but I don't quite understand the difference between that and simple atheism, I'll stick to this subject, if you don't mind. And even if you do.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 09:38 AM
    Hello again, De Maria:

You are slipperier than a snake. But, your rope a dope defense don't phase me none.

YOU are apparently attempting to make some conclusion about secular humanists from the action of ONE secular humanist. I wondered WHAT conclusion that might be??

You didn't say. You attack me instead. Maybe there ISN'T a conclusion to be drawn from the actions of a single individual, as YOU are suggesting. To bolster my claim, I suggested that there isn't ANY conclusion to be gained from ONE really bonkers Christian.

Then you have cojones to suggest that I stick with the subject?? You don't have a clue what the subject is... But, I'll continue to reveal your slipperiness and your hypocrisies. That's my JOB.

excon
    -

Jun 21, 2008, 05:38 PM
    However, since they claim to share your beliefs, why wouldn't you be able to defend them?
    What a nonsense! Why should I defend the opinions of others? Get real !

The only reason I was curious is because they share or at least refer to secular humanism beliefs yet the Church claims to be a religion. And you say that secular humanism is not a religion.
    Secular Humanism is indeed not a religion. What the people in that "Church" believe or not believe is their "business", not mine!

No, incorrect. Secular Humanists do not (religious) believe. Religious Humanists do.

·
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2008, 08:08 PM
    What a nonsense! Why should I defend the opinions of others? Get real !
    I was pretty sure they listed secular humanism beliefs as their own. But maybe I didn't understand. We can move on.

Secular Humanism is indeed not a religion. What the people in that "Church" believe or not believe is their "business", not mine!
    No, incorrect. Secular Humanists do not (religious) believe. Religious Humanists do.

·
    Gotcha! You have nothing to do with that Church.
    -

Jun 22, 2008, 03:32 AM
    I was pretty sure they listed secular humanism beliefs as their own. But maybe I didn't understand.
    The belief in God and Jesus Christ are (should be) common to all Christians.
    Still the RCC and other Christians (say for instance Protestants) are not defending each others specific views.
    So why should I defend the ideas of others who support the Secular Humanist views?
    Just ask me on my views in respect to Secular Humanism. And do not try to wiggle out or sidestep issues as soon as you notice that you lack any true valid arguments !

·
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 23, 2008, 10:43 AM
    De Mensia! We rule! I'm a little sleep deprived. If I could turn back time, if I could find a waaaay!
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Hello wild:

I've been accused of demensia before. Does that count?

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Yeas SH is a religion SCOTUS declared it so and we know they are never wrong. Torcaso v. Watkins
    -

Jun 23, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    yeas SH is a religion SCOTUS declared it so and we know they are never wrong. Torcaso v. Watkins
    Tomder : I do not give a cent for your local laws. We are talking here about something that stands far above whatever these politically appointed judges decide on local issues in your country.
    Religious Humanism has certain religious features embedded in their world view.
    Secular Humanism certainly has no such features of any kind as part of their world view.

But of course you are free to SPECIFY whatever you (and those involved in that court decision) ASSUME to be support for the claim Secular Humanism to be a religion.

·
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 02:11 AM
    I guess the sarcasm in my reply wasn't obvious enough.
    -

Jun 24, 2008, 03:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    I guess the sarcasm in my reply wasn't obvious enough.
    Not at all. But I know you and your ways now already for about 8 years on different boards, and I know when to ignore your acidic and conceited remarks and when to reply in a responsive way related strictly to the subject.
    I even wondered why you even condescend to follow a lead on Secular Humanism : not religious and very liberal - if not "left wing"... What is this world coming to if even you show up here ?

:D

·

Jun 24, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello wild:

I've been accused of demensia before. Does that count?

excon
    Yeah, we'll let you in. But don't tell the others, or we'll need a bigger social hall.:eek:

Jun 25, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Credo, come on over from the dark side already. You know we're right. Our plan doesn't even need a giant rogue comet, Cause if all the land is in one piece on the sunny side of the street the ocean would be one big snowball on the dark side. Start that baby turning and you're in for a flood of Biblical proportions. You know the photosynthetic process known as the dark reactions doesn't actually need darkness. With eternal sunlight all those biological reactions would take half as much time. THEY have known this for years... haven't THEY been telling us the key to a lot of the world's problems is in saving the Amazon rainforests? Those are daylength neutral plants that are not reliant on darkness. Coincidence? I don't think so.
    -

Jun 25, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wildandblue
    Credo, come on ....
    Are you really serious ? Your post seems to be posted while you were under the influence of "mind stimulating products"... With all respect : what a total nonsense...

·

Jun 26, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Yes I'm serious. And just High on life, my friend. You remind me a lot of St. Paul, do you know that? How he persecuted the early Church until he suddenly saw the light. And look what a pillar of the Church he turned out to be, because he wasn't a poor fisherman but a scholarly man. He wrote nearly half of the New Testament by himself.

Jun 26, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Look, you can have a comet if you really want one. Since this was in the past I don't see any reason to argue for or against in order to have faith. We can't change the past, just who we are and where we're going.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Want to know differences between humanism religions [ 2 Answers ]

Okay I have been discussing "religions" on several boards. And I am just down right amazed at ALL the different types I knew nothing about! I have looked up a few but sometimes the net doesn't give very good details and kind of generalizes some of them so I am once again asking about something I...

The secular Messiah [ 79 Answers ]

The righteous left has a conniption fit over the alleged Bush "theocracy." The spiteful criticisms of "right-wing evangelical neocons" have been abundant on these pages. An alleged cross (or you can call it a bookcase) in a Huckabee ad stirred up all kinds of outrage. You know what, I'm more...

View more questions Search