Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chek101 Posts: 134, Reputation: 18

Sep 19, 2007, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chek101
    That's ok .... I don't have a problem with it. How cool is that cannon? Also here is a portrait (being done in beads) of my son and his new bride on their wedding day last Dec 31st. This portriat is being done in very teeny tiny beads, but not yet finished. They are those little black specks along side the photo along with the needle and thread. This will use some 47,000 beads when completed. Right now there are about 28,000 beads there.
    AHAH!! I discovered a new technique here! Maybe now I can get that picture of the coach drawing that I couldn't get to go in before, to go in now. This drawing of the coach is one I copied from a book at the library. That's the pic I worked from when I built the coach. It did give a measurement of the height of the wheels at the bottom of the pic, and from that one measurement I was able to scale up the rest.
    Attached Images

Sep 19, 2007, 08:15 AM
    AHAH!!!! I discovered a new technique here! Maybe now I can get that picture of the coach drawing that I couldn't get to go in before, to go in now. This drawing of the coach is one I copied from a book at the library. That's the pic I worked from when I built the coach. It did give a measurement of the height of the wheels at the bottom of the pic, and from that one measurement I was able to scale up the rest.
    I think I am starting to get this picture uploading business down. I'm just testing here, so don't pay me no mind while I experiment, Ok? I just want to see if this works, too.
    Attached Images

Sep 19, 2007, 08:18 AM
    I think I am starting to get this picture uploading business down. I'm just testing here, so don't pay me no mind while I experiment, Ok? I just want to see if this works, too.
    Well, the photos went OK, but the picture quality is just so-so. What can you do, it is what it is. You can only load up to 5 pics at a time per post. I wonder how Sahara would look if I stuck her in by herself here, let's see... testing again... LOL!
    Attached Images

templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2007, 08:28 AM
    Wow love the group pic, I like the way everyone if looking out of the picture. Reminds me of parties where you wish you never came.

Sep 19, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Well, the photos went ok, but the picture quality is just so-so. What can you do, it is what it is. You can only load up to 5 pics at a time per post. I wonder how Sahara would look if I stuck her in by herself here, let's see ... testing again ........... LOL!
    I can't tell, I guess it's better than having the converter do it. I did this one and the ones in my previous testing post myself. I just shrunk the pixels down to 393, max allowed. Saves time. The converter is slow.

Oh, those other pics, the trike is my "baby" I ride her EVERYWHERE!! She is electric. And that's my other baby up there in the 2nd basket, her name is Tabitha. She's a Chihuahua, 6 yrs old and 4 lbs.

The Sopranos painting (in oils) not done yet, I started it 2 yrs ago and just can't get back into it. My son (who I am doing the painting for) wanted me to put him in the painting as well, so I stuck him in the back, to the left, walking by.

There's some beadwork there, too. I am doing all the states stamps in beads. I have about a dozen of them done. They only contain 24,000 beads each one. Hope I didn't miss something because I can't go back and look. I may have put up the horse, not sure, but he was one of four horses I built about 6 yrs ago.

Sep 19, 2007, 08:35 AM
    There's some beadwork there, too. I am doing all the states stamps in beads. I have about a dozen of them done. They only contain 24,000 beads each one. Hope I didn't miss something because I can't go back and look. I may have put up the horse, not sure, but he was one of four horses I built about 6 yrs ago.
    These are all beadwork.
    Attached Images

Sep 19, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Yes, I built the coach and the Cannon and a few other things as well like my horses.
    I built the horses as kind of a representation of the FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE, this I did for halloween, I loved building displays for Halloween!!
    Here they are in construction and I'm even one of the pics fixing a stirrup.
    Attached Images

excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2007, 09:20 AM
    The Man standing beside horse and cart
    Hello chek:

Do you sell your art? How much? Is it going to be worth more after you're dead?

Hmmmm... Probably not a question you want to answer to a guy named

excon

Sep 19, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello chek:

Do you sell your art? How much? Is it gonna be worth more after you're dead?

Hmmmm... Probably not a question you want to answer to a guy named

excon
    LOL! You made me laugh, Ex! Don't know, maybe. I never sold anything... well maybe once but that was a fluke, and they were patriotic pins. I made about 1500 of them at that time and made 6 thousand dollars off them in 3 weeks. What happened was, I made one for myself; people liked the one I made so much, pretty soon I was taking orders for 50 at a clip. For three weeks, morning, noon and night that's all I did was making these pins. I was happey when the war ended so I could stop making them. Thank God I started making them near the end of it.

I did ONE art show once (about 4 yrs ago), I was one of some 100 artists in the show. It was my first show and quite frankly I didn't take it all that seriously. I fell into it accidentally. I wanted to be around other artists because I haven't been for over 20 yrs and missed it. So I joined this art class where painters met once a week. The instructor was annoying, she kept changing my colors, anyway the first day I set foot in her class, she tells me that there's going to be an art show coming up in 3 weeks and asked if I wanted to be in it? At that time I had no paintings what-so-ever, done, NONE! And I told her that. Then she said, "Do you think you can come up with 3 paintings by then?" I liked the challenge, and so I said, "Sure." The first painting I did, was Sahara (the Desert Girl from Iran), I did her in oils and she was completed that first week, in fact in about 4 days if memory serves me right. Next, I did "Transition," the man with the horse and cart. He took about 8 days because I never worked with acrylics and that painting was a learning ground. I actually liked that painting way better than the first. If you saw it in person you would, too. The third painting got started but didn't get finished in time. So I only went into the show with just two paintings. The show was held at the new library in the classy section of town. I was surprised at all the people who showed up for it. There had to be over 200 people piled in that one room! They were shoulder to shoulder. I just left and went outside and sat on the bench enjoying the sunset while my son stayed inside eating up the free goodies they had there. I kind of felt like "WHAT AM I DOING HERE?" And just wanted to go home. Next thing I know my son comes outside and says to me" Mom you gotta go back inside, they want to meet the artist!!!" I said, "What artist?" He said "MAAAAAAA .... YOU!" LOL! He hollered at me... LOL! I was shocked, thinking what the heck do they want with me? I went inside and was immediately surrounded by a mob of people wanting to meet me. When I looked around, I could see that most everybody in the room piled around my "Sahara" painting. They LOVED that painting! It was the hit of the show. I was blown away by that. Next day I got a call from the CEO of Yahoo.com expressing interest in that painting. But I couldn't sell it, because I had already promised it to my oldest son; he has it now. Money was not discussed, so I have no idea what it would have sold for. Most paintings in the exhibit were up for 2 thousand and more.
    Anyway, hope that answers your question.

Sep 19, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Anyway, hope that answers your question.
    PS... have not participated in another exhibit since and probably won't.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Hello again, chek:

Great story! I saw you fixing that stirrup, but I couldn't tell you were a MAAA. Yeah... Your stuff's going to be worth more after you're dead...

excon
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2007, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Your stuff's gonna be worth more after you're dead....
    Ha! I just love your positivity excon - gets me every time! :p
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Great! I do some artwork as well.

I painted but not any more, since I can steal jobs away from americans with my current degrees...

If I lose my job in the future I will have to sell my artwork... to americans:D
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2007, 12:55 PM
    Awsome beadwork Chek...

You been hiding all that talent from us?;)

Sep 19, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicespringgirl
    Great! I do some artwork as well.

I painted but not any more, since I can steal jobs away from americans with my current degrees...

if I lose my job in the future I will have to sell my artwork...to americans:D

Wow, who kicked your can??

Sep 19, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Awsome beadwork Chek....

you been hiding all that talent from us?;)
    You know someone told me, and this recently, "You need to develope an appreciation for your work." This said after I refused to enter another show with him. Maybe if my kids didn't keep trying to push the painting thing on me every ten minutes, I might finish some of the dozen or so paintings, including beadwork projects, I started that are piling up all over the place, here. I just wish they were more behind me when I was building. You see, I just can't get the "building" out of my heart; it saddens me every time I think about the days when I was building; because I now know that that's where my heaven is, and that it will be no more. These other things I do are what I am made to settle for. But I do thank your appreciation of them even if I seem not to be. I could open a whole new can of worms if I had to explain that one...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depreciating artwork [ 6 Answers ]

What makes artwork a non-depreciable asset? Is there some threshold value that the IRS recognizes? Isn't most "art" hanging in most businesses more a depreciable item of décor as opposed to a true investment that will hold its value or appreciated in value? If this is the case and we don't...

Artwork Donation [ 2 Answers ]

As Member in a 501 (C) (7) organization --can I donate artwork valued at @$5,000 and use it as a tax deduction.

Finding the author of a piece of artwork and the value [ 10 Answers ]

I have a piece of artwork which is also from the Paris Etching Society, It appears to be a beautiful watercolor labeled as"Vielles maisons en Picardie France.. It is #6 and the artist name seems to begin with the letter l and the last name with R. such as luen.. Remsau... or the R may be a B. ...

View more questions Search